Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

voltage regulator removal

I looked at the PAG technical bulletin about upgrading the alternaotr (in my 1973 911) with a newer one that has the regulator inside the alternator.

It seems like all you do is just pull the external voltage regulator out of the car....

Is that true? You don't need to move any wires from one terminal and put them on another?

Old 02-02-2004, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

loren has been saying the external reg is a better set-up because the internal reg gets too hot and goes bad.

I have the tech bull where the conversion is fully explained.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 02-02-2004, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Keeping the ext reg is not an option at this point

I have that tech bull. -- that's what my question is about.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Randy,

The bulletin does not directly address the conversion of a pre-74 car, nor what to do with the loose wires after they are disconnected from your regulator, since just pulling the connector off the regulator of a pot-73 car was all that was required. In your case, I recommend getting a small terminal strip, putting the terminal lugs from the four wires on separate positions, and enclosing the terminal strip in a plastic box ... then secure the box to the relay/fuse/CDI panel where the regulator formerly was located ... with plumber's strap material.

Should you ever need to install an externally-regulated alternator on your emgine ... the above procedure is easily reversed!

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 02-03-2004, 01:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks, Warren -- but I'm not following this at all. What loose wires?

I am swapping in a newer engine (a 1986) - not just changing the alt. in an existing engine. Do you mena the (nonexistent) wires inside the engine shroud? Or wires that are in the engine compartment elec. panel? They aren't loose - they will be captive wires that go to the socket for the soon to be missing regulator. If I need to make any connections between them, I was planning to put jumpers across the female socket, as that's a lot easier.

Anyway, can you tell me what you mean re the wires? Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Randy,

Well, I assumed from the wording of your question ... that you were retrofitting the alternator to the original 1973 relay/fuse/regulator panel, and 1973 models were the last to use individual wires with terminal lugs -- fastened to the regulator with screws ... hence my concern about loose wires after the regulator is gone!

If you are using a 1986, or any other 3.2 Carrera relay/fuse panel & wiring ... there won't be any regulator wires to worry about, since all Carreras had the integral regulator.

Splicing the 1986 panel to the existing chassis wiring at the 14-pin connector may be interesting, though!

Old 02-03-2004, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

1986 Panel? Now I'm confused again. The elec. panel in the engine compartment is the original one on the 19731/2 911. I intend to just just plug the 14 pin connector from the 1986 engine into that 1973 panel. I need to check the pins, but is there something wrong with that plan??
Old 02-03-2004, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

No, nothing wrong with that plan ... I'm sure plenty of others have been down that path on the way to a 3.2 conversion.

The type of regulator mounted on your relay/fuse panel would dictate what needs to be done after the regulator is removed.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: