Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lowering seats (1984 911 coupe)

Does anyone have experience dropping the seats in a 1984 911? My son and I need to gain several inches in headroom in order to wear helmets. It appears the floor mounts can be cut off and the seat slider could be mounted right to the floor? We are not opposed to buying racing seats if we need to , but, the drop looks to be the simplest solution. I would appreciate any detailed help. Pete

Old 02-03-2004, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

I have exactly the same car and the same problem. Follow my threads and you'll see where I ended up...

Taking height out of your seats...question...

Who here uses Recaro Pole Position buckets?

What racing seat would you pick?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

BTW, I ended up replacing factory seats with Recaro. Currently working on the install...
Old 02-03-2004, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You easiest method is to but a decent track/street seat like a Recaro SRD and to mount the sliders directly to the existing seat rails without adaptors. The adaptors will make the mounting easier, but you lose at least an inch in clearance. Most track type seats will generally have a lower seating height to begin with. We did this with my brother who is 6'2" and long waisted. The side mounted race bucket will give you even more clearance at a price of more difficulty in getting in and out and perhaps less comfort for long drives. The SRD is a great seat for this purpose. Other companies like Sparco make similar dual purpose seats. If you are getting into more advanced club racing, read the rule book. They generally want a one piece seat with specific requirements for racing.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Search for the recent long thread titled "FK Seats".

Late in the discussion there are some measurements of seat cushion to roof distance for stock seats vs FK seats. The FK seats are inexpensive Chinese copies of branded racing seats and while you may or may not like this particular seat, it should give you some idea of how much extra headroom you could get from installing racing seats.

Perhaps you could get even more headroom by finding a branded racing seat where the seat part of the shell is designed to sit low between the mounts (Recaros?), by replacing the seat cushion with a thinner one or removing the cushion altogether when helmeted, or by tweaking the mounts to recline the seats even more.

Edit: note which of those measurements were taken w/out sliders, i.e. racing seat's mounts bolted directly to seat mounting points, so part of the increased headroom is simply from omitting the sliders. Not the most practical for daily use, but doesn't take long to swap the seats in and out. Note also the need to mount seatbelts, which is also discussed in the thread.

Last edited by jyl; 02-03-2004 at 09:55 AM..
Old 02-03-2004, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

89911:
Carefull with your recommedations.

--- SRD's do not automatically lower the seating position. Depending upon the specific Porsche model, mounting these seats on rails...directly on the car's perches...may indeed have them sit even higher.

-- just because shell type buckets "look" like they may seat you lower...in my experience they did not. The butt portion can only go down so low, and begins to interfere with things. The side mounts may have holes that "tease" you in thinking you can go lower...then you find you can't.

-- I also heard from people on this board that Recaro Pole Positions allow the butt area to go somewhat below the plane of the mounts...but I haven't been able to confirm that, and neither have a number of shops I've called who sell the PP's alongside other brands ( Sparco).

---Wil Ferch
Old 02-03-2004, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wil Ferch

-- I also heard from people on this board that Recaro Pole Positions allow the butt area to go somewhat below the plane of the mounts...but I haven't been able to confirm that, and neither have a number of shops I've called who sell the PP's alongside other brands ( Sparco).

Confirmed...but not the butt (the shell bottom). I have a Pole Position on the way into my car now. When used with Recaro steel brackets the molded shell bottom ends up just a wee tad (like 1/16") below the mounting plane of the brackets when the lowest rear hole is used on the bracket. This is negated by the use of sliders, should you choose to use them. The biggest diff with the PP is that the minimalist butt cushioning in combiniation with the mounting brackets and mounting points of the seat will take some good height out of the seat. They also have a narrower mounting width overall (the brackets bend up more towards 90 degrees and have inside gussets), and it is narrower overall than the Evo 2 setup. My take...a better fitting seat for the Carrera and SC.

-BG

Last edited by BGCarrera32; 02-03-2004 at 08:41 AM..
Old 02-03-2004, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Will, I know this from a fact since I converted over from original sport seats to SRD's about 4 years ago. The do sit lower, even with the adaptors. Not much though, and I myself may make the adaptors bolt straight to the seat supports, bypassing the adpators and saving about an inch. We went with a one piece Koenig in my brothers club racing car with the sliders mounted like a previously stated. It's really the thinness of the seat cushion material that lowers the seating position. They are nice seats (Koenig), but have a very deep seating postion that may not be for everyone over a size 34 waist. Picture shows the slider mounted as stated and a Koenig one piece seat that still has some front-rear rake adjustments.

Last edited by 89911; 02-03-2004 at 09:14 AM..
Old 02-03-2004, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Picture:

Old 02-03-2004, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

FWIW....my car and many others don't have adaptors. Simply sliders mounted on the car's welded-in perches. Some cars have power driver's seat and manual passenger seat..and the passenger seat has these "adaptors" that is essentially a spacer...it raises the seat to the same height as the driver power seat.
Also...if you have power seats with manual fore/aft...this also doesn't use adaptors.
Another variable...the "perches" on the 1985 car are higher than both earlier and later cars. For 86, for example, the perches sit 20 mm ( 3/4")lower than in 85.
Greg Gulik has a nice web page showing SRD installation (see Pelican tech section) and I've asked a number of people on Rennlist this same question. As a composite....there is incomplete evidence that SRD's will sit you lower. If they did in your case...God Bless ya !!

--Wil Ferch

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 02-04-2004 at 07:27 AM..
Old 02-03-2004, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: