Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Just lowered the cab.....

23 inches up front....I'm running 45 series tires....this seems to fill the wheel wells better. The bump steer washers were added and I have a better feel fro the road. just have to watch the speed bumps and curbs.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

looking good mIKE LOOKING MEAN AND LOW!

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".
Old 02-03-2004, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Comments on lowering

It probably handles great.

When I see it, I say it looks like there is to much luggage in the trunks.

Guess with the number, you can pull it off.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i think it looks great! like a race car. is blondie gone yet?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
It hit reserve on ebay....so just waiting on the auction to close...4 days...still time to bid....%^B
Old 02-03-2004, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Looking good. What are your tire sizes?

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
225/45/16 and 245/45/16 on 7s and 8s....
Old 02-03-2004, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mommy yes!

I just got my 245s on the 9"ers and went with 205s on the 7"ers. It is surprising how wide the 205s are on the 7"ers. Almost as wide as my Yokohamas/225s on the 7"ers were in the past.

Cannot wait to get this car on the ground!

John
Old 02-03-2004, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You got a permit to have exhaust pipes that big, son???

Dea-mn...

Old 02-03-2004, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
At what ride height do people feel they need the RSR struts (w/ raised spindles)?

(Apologies for asking the same Q in two concurrent threads.)
Old 02-03-2004, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Lessee now...

You're running 225/45-16...this would calculate out to 23.97" rolling diameter ( say 24" ). Stock tires are 24.9" diameter..so you're smaller by about 1" on diameter.... or 1/2" on radius ( height).

So the "stock Euro" front height of 25.5...would be 25.0 using your tires.

Seeing you're 23" height in front now...you're effectively running 2" below Euro. How flat ( or angled) are the lower "A"-arms?

---Wil Ferch
Old 02-04-2004, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Did a bump steer kit....no problems.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
any rubbing Mike? Looks great
Old 02-04-2004, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Nope....most people sneer at the 45 series tires as being "ricey"....but I don't have the rubbing issues that most people have with 225s and 7inch Fuchs.

They also match height wise the rear 45 series tires....I have corner balanced the car and I'm running heavy t-bars and adjustable Konis. It's a little rougher due to stiffness from the mods....but the wife don't ride in it and the only complaints would be from me....
Old 02-04-2004, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Mikez:
Having a bump steer kit has no bearing at all on whether you're camber curve is all screwed up ( or not)...which it would be if the lower A-arms are lower on the inner pivot points compared to the outer ( ball-joint end) pivot points..

A bump steer kit simply solves.....bump steer.

Wil Ferch
Old 02-04-2004, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
i am going to jump in here, hopefully learn something. bump steer, isnt that a function of incorrect akerman angle? in college we learned that the connections of the spindle assembly at the lower and upper control arms need to line up with the center of the contact patch of the tire. i dont know if i have my component titles correct, excuse me if i am wrong. so my question is; how does tie rods play into bump steer?

cliff
Old 02-04-2004, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

unfixed:

There have been a bunch of threads on the subject of bump steer...do a search on bump steer or steering racks or ERP kits, etc.

If there are things you still need to discuss after that...bring 'em up.

Think of tie-rod ends that want to be horizontal at normal ride height. When the wheel undergoes a bump..the tie rods will also move up and down. With that up/down movement is some left/right movement. The L/R movement is the least ( for a given amount of up/down movement) when the arms are horizontal....in a nutshell. Not 100% accurate...but it conveys the idea properly...IMO.

My point then was, if the bump steer kit was used to regain steering rack height ( itself a doubtful proposition since there is only room for a 1/2" rack spacer...and MikeZ went lower by 1 inch or more)....this doesn't solve the unrelated problem of the static ride height of the lower A-arms. They should point down at the ball-joints relative to the inboard joints...flat is good too...but angled the other way around and you have wickedly compromised the camber-curve characterisitcs of your car.

---Wil Ferch
Old 02-04-2004, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Wahll, I'm not as technically inclined as you guys seem to be....but I did the job at my buddies alignment shop...the loaded settings we had while up on the rack looked good and I see no adverse issues while bombing up and down the San Marcos Pass.

If anything, it improved the cornering characteristics.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mikez
Wahll, I'm not as technically inclined as you guys seem to be....but I did the job at my buddies alignment shop...the loaded settings we had while up on the rack looked good and I see no adverse issues while bombing up and down the San Marcos Pass.

If anything, it improved the cornering characteristics.
yup, mikez. i totally agree with you. how it works is the most important. your car looking totally wicked is a total bonus. but really, most of the time i am technically declined. your the one with the nice running car. funny how your wife wont ride in it. maybe let her drive?

cliff
Old 02-04-2004, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Blonde+Stick=disaster.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: