LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Euro ride height for an SC?

What are the measurements?

Thanks

Philip

Old 02-03-2004, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hey, Philip
25" rear 25.5" front measured to the high point of the fender lip.
This gives a slight nose down rake.
MY SC is lower, I think it's about 23.8 rear and 24.3 front. And maybe to low for driver?

It was good seeing you at Dunkles.

Check out my # of posts

Last edited by Bob's Flat-Six; 02-03-2004 at 11:24 AM..
Old 02-03-2004, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Bob, why do you say "maybe to low for driver?" ?

EDIT: 911 posts, sweet! Now you've gotta retire that name, keep it real!

Last edited by GrindingGears; 02-03-2004 at 11:32 AM..
Old 02-03-2004, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

Mine was the same as Bob's for a while. Every freeway junction, every bump was transmitted to the butt. Driveways, dips meant a drag on the skid plate. This pic doesn't show the rake because the RR wheel is sitting in a drain. Yes, that 'other' red car is Wayne's.

Was uncomfortable. Mine is between the two now, still with a slight nose down rake.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
To late now, This is 913 already.

Regarding to low, I guess it all depends on were a guy might have to drive. I have to watch driveways and grade changes more closely than when I was an 1" higher, but I don't mind.
If you have a front spoiler you do need the tow hook re- enforcers IMO so they strike before the lip does at the lower hights.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

That is correct, I have the reinforce plates. They hit first. At the lower heights, there just isn't enough suspension travel to get a decent ride. The ride at high speed IS better, but even with all the long distance I do, still didn't justify the around town discomfort.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
At what front ride height do people feel they need the RSR struts?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by singpilot

Sing, this is the first time i've seen a picture of your pcar. do you still cruise around the south bay from time to time? i'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
914 Bob, are you trying to tell us something?

Nice meeting you the other day Philip. My car is at 25" front 24.5" rear, I think it's about perfect, But I do like like them as low as you can get it.

If you go too low tire rub and bump steer become problems, and the rack spacers are not a great idea imo.

Edit: had the heights reversed.

Last edited by surflvr911sc; 02-03-2004 at 01:33 PM..
Old 02-03-2004, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Formerly bb80sc

Quote:
Originally posted by jyl
At what front ride height do people feel they need the RSR struts?
I have heard that anything around 23.5" rear and 24.0 front *could* make a candidate for the RSR struts. However, there are three more things you need to address when lowering your car;

1. remove the 10mm thick washer/spacer between the top of the strut and the strut housing.

2. cut down the rubber bump stops on both the front and rears. This will keep the shocks from bottoming out too soon and loading things up.

3. address the bump-steer with either steering rack spacers (which Ryan mentioned), or go with a bump steer kit.

I need to get my car back down a bit.....I decided to start removing stuff AFTER my corner balance.....duh..

-b
2017 Mazda CX5
Old 02-03-2004, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I agree the precision bump steer kit would be the way to go with a 911 lowered below the average euro height. I just have the spacers.
Weltmeister makes one. I don't think I've heard any comments on them though ?
Shocks that are the right length would be another consideration, or at minimum shorten the bump stops in the shocks.

Ryan, Did you put your visors on ? Mine are in plan check
Old 02-03-2004, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

Yes, I finally got my digicam working again. I am usually in the SouthBay when in SoCal. I sometimes stay there in the marina on my way to or from the Vegas home. As far as I know, I am the only red 911 with Nevada plates I have seen.

This is my other ride (also red with Nevada plates) parked under my other ride (white with no plates).

Last edited by singpilot; 02-03-2004 at 01:32 PM..
Old 02-03-2004, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Front is 25", rear is 24.5". Kind of a bad pic...

'88 Carrera (Sold)
Old 02-03-2004, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by singpilot
Yes, I finally got my digicam working again. I am usually in the SouthBay when in SoCal. I sometimes stay there in the marina on my way to or from the Vegas home. As far as I know, I am the only red 911 with Nevada plates I have seen.

This is my other ride (also red with Nevada plates) parked alongside my other ride (no plates).

944's with the Fuchs look soooo good. I had a 944 and thought it was a blast.
'88 Carrera (Sold)
Old 02-03-2004, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

SRISER,

Like your car too. I just did the drilled rotors and brake cooling kit for the 911 too. Great looking car you have!
Old 02-03-2004, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hey thanks. I did cross-drilled front and rear. Not much difference in terms of stopping power...just mainly for looks anyway. Slightly better in the wet. I just put the 7J's on , turbo tie rods and had it lowered about two weeks ago. Now comes the replacement struts and shocks.

Does this project ever end? We all know the answer to that!
'88 Carrera (Sold)
Old 02-03-2004, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

Mine had the bump-steer spacers under (above) the rack when I got it, when it was so low. When I took it up to Euro, the spacers came out. Now that I am about halfway to US Spec, I will get little wheel jumps when the front end is light. Just enuf to 'talk to ya'.

Same same, I think the braking is the same with the drilled rotors, and yes maybe slightly better in the heavy wet (never rains in SoCal, yeah, right), but are better when hot. Not better braking, but quicker to cool.

I like the look as well. I keep an eye out for the cracks that everyone says might happen. I am always falling victim to the "While you are in there" bug.

I did the rotors, bearings, pads and TRE's as well on the 944. Didn't do the brake cooling mod on it, it doesn't get pushed as hard as the 911.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: