Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Care and life of the temporary spare?

I've been wondering about the service life of the collapsible spare. I don't think mine has ever been removed, or tested, in nearly two decades.

If I pull it, and inflate it, will it collapse back down easily, or do I have to pull the valve stem?

How long are they good for? I don't think rubber ages well... is it still safe at 60 mph?

I also just noticed that the collapsible spare is never to be used on the rear. If you blow a back tire, you should put a good FRONT tire on the back, then the spare in place of the missing front. Interesting - and a lot of work on the side of the highway.

Many of you ditch the spare/jack for a can of fix-a-flat. It sounds appealing...

Old 02-03-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
Or AAA card, but I do throw it in for long trips.

Since I don't normally run w/ mine I traded my never used spare for my dad's probably used once spare. I can't see how you could get the spare to fully collapse unless you had some kind of special vacuum setup for it.

I tried ratcheting straps to get it collapse, no way, so from my experience I wouldn't suggest 'testing' it out.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Despite what Ryan says, yes it will air up and collapse into the form it is presently in. Mine probably wasn't aired up in 16 years prior to me airing it up and it collapsed just fine. I now air mine up every six months just to make sure it works.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
Oh great, make a liar out of me! Do you have a trick, or is mine just a POS?

I think my dad screwed me! WWTD?
Old 02-03-2004, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I used mine (from the looks of it for its first time ever) on the back of my 930 last week. no problems at 50mph. i went pretty easy on (370hp) throttle though..

Cheers - Ryan

ps: it looks well funky in the rear wheel well of a 930
Old 02-03-2004, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You should NEVER use the inflatable spare on the back...

The diameter is different than OEM , and you're putting a lot of stress on the differential action of the transaxle..especially if you have limited slip.

The drill is to put any front tire on the back where it's needed to replace a flat...and then put the spare on the newly-vacant front.

---Wil Ferch
Old 02-04-2004, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I just tested my spare, which is over 27 years old. Inflated fine and collapsed back into shape. Cleaned it and put back. I hope I never have to use it.
Tom
Ferdinand Porsche
Old 02-04-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't care whether my spare is in good shape or not. I carry two cans of Fix-A-Flat, a VISA card and I should also join AA. And perhaps AAA as well.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

When I was at Road Atlanta Last month for a DE, the guy inspecting my car told me the spare should be left in place because it is part of the crumple design in a crash. I don't know if that is true or not, but it kinda makes sense. any thoughts one way or the other? Craig
Old 02-04-2004, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
The spare in my opinion....is worth only the space it uses for protection if I ever rear end someone. I HAVE, out of curiosity aired it up and dumped it water to look for leaks, but never plan on using it.

AAA, tire plug kits are a standard must have for MY travel. If I REALLY REALLY had to I would use it....but it would be my dead last choice.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
I have never used it...but I did air it up just to see what it looked like, the deflated and back in it's place. The only thing I would like to do is mount it on a Fuchs.
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 02-04-2004, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I've never pulled mine out and inflated it (my spare, that is) so I've never really looked at it. How does it allow the diameter to increase when inflated? Does the tread surface stretch? I'd go look but I'd have to dig my way to the garage.

>82 3.0 SC
>01 Audi S4 Avant
Old 02-04-2004, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Everything I've read indicates that the spare is part of the crash protection system designed by Porsche. Keep this in mind when running without it. If others have heard otherwise, I'd be interested to hear what you've learned.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

I have heard conflicting reports on this myself. I have come to this conclusion: There were a few different types of spares made over the years (collapsable). Some will collapse easily, and other just will not. It's best to not mess with it...

-Wayne
Old 02-04-2004, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
I have heard conflicting reports on this myself. I have come to this conclusion: There were a few different types of spares made over the years (collapsable). Some will collapse easily, and other just will not. It's best to not mess with it...

-Wayne
Have to disagree with you here Wayne, I would rather take the chance of testing the spare and finding out it will not collapse as opposed to not testing it and then finding out it doesn't work!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I've heard this too..about the spare being part of the designed-in safety program of the car..

IMHO...I believe that if this were true...it would apply to the normal spare for the smaller gas tank. Let's think real hard how a collapsed rubber-band of tire over a steel drum affords any protection. Now, a full size spare filled with 30 psi of air..and a sidewall height of maybe 3-4" ( make that 6-8" if you count top and bottom )...then you may have something.

---Wil Ferch
Old 02-04-2004, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt V
Have to disagree with you here Wayne, I would rather take the chance of testing the spare and finding out it will not collapse as opposed to not testing it and then finding out it doesn't work!
So if it expands, and then doesn't collapse, then you have to buy a new one? Then you have to test that one, won't collapse, etc...

Leave the spare alone, make sure you carry an air compressor (to inflate it), and also have your AAA card handy...

-Wayne
Old 02-04-2004, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Can someone post a pic of one that DOES collapse? I want to test mine (just for kicks - and piece of mind) and I want to make sure I have one with will go back...

Old 02-04-2004, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: