Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Steering Rack Regrease

I opened up my steering rack today to clean the old grease out and repack it. I already have it off the car for a front suspension rebuild so it seemed like a good project. I was going off of an earlier posted thread that showed the procedure for a later rack and the earlier ones seem a bit easier. On the pic below I had to move some of the parts to show the correct orders. I also forgot the o-ring and to include the bottom bearing in the pic, sorry

When I opened it up I found that there was almost no grease in the rack. I also found the teeth on the rack and pinion were in excellent shape but there was alot of wear on the 'piston?' (that holds the rack tight against the pinion.)

Here is basically what I did,
1. Removed rack
2. Removed Tie Rod ends/boots
3. Remove two bolts that hold steering wheel shaft to rack (this meant bending back a metal tab that held the bolts)
4. Remove two cover plates. Side one is spring loaded, shims, spring, and 'piston?' come out. (see middle row of parts) Bottom one has shims, and exposes a large bearing that isn't pictured.
--- This is where the instructions are opposite from some of the other posts and I believe the bentley manual for later racks.---
5. Remove the top nut and tap the pinion out from the top to the bottom. This will push out the bottom bearing and will free the sort of U shaped bracket.
6. Pick up the 30 needles that come flying out from the needle bearing above the pinion shaft.
7. Pull out the rack bar.
8. Tap out the remainder of the needle bearing and the o-ring.
9. Take the clip off the bottom of the pinion and remove the washer and bearing.

To reassemble
1. I cleaned the whole thing inside and out and all the parts.
2. Lubed the rack with Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease and replaced it making sure the slots in the rack were slanted the same way they were when I removed it.
3. Lubed the needle bearing and tapped it in place (only made it flush to start with).
4. Lubed the pinion and inserted in from the bottom.
5. Packed and Replaced the bottom bearing, washer, and clip.
6. Replaced the bottom plate with shims.
7. Used a socket to set the needle bearing in deeper and installed the o-ring. Then tapped on the U-shaped bracket.
8. Put a bunch more grease in the side hole.
9. Inserted 'piston thing' with spring and shims then cover plate.
10. Replace top shaft, install tie rods and boots.

Pat
Old 02-06-2004, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: