Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Door Pocket Problems ?

Local Porsche mechanic is telling me that the reason why my driver side door is not closing (unless excessive force is used) properly is due to the door pocket is out of shape. After reading several previous posts, I am not sure what the solution is. If I have to replace the pockets, then who sells the best reproductions?

Thanks!

1974 911 Coupe

Old 02-07-2004, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
if they are hitting the door seal at the bottom they may simply need remounted a little higher, is this what is happening? other than that i can't see where they would cause the door to not latch.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Door pockets are very easy to remove. Grab a Philips head screwdriver and take your driver's side pocket off to see if the problem goes away.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
never ending projects

I had the same problem not long ago. I think that pelican sells pockets from Appbiz. They are fiberglass and should last much longer than the originals did. Good luck
Old 02-07-2004, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i dont get it. what is the door pocket hitting? your hip? i think five screws around the perimeter and yank the sucker off. then slam door gently. having said that, i dont think it could happen that way. our doors dont work that way. all the soft stuff like panels and door pockets are within the hard edges of the door, arent they? if i wasnt buzzed, i would go and check. haha.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
never ending projects

Well, I am buzzed right now but I can tell you that if the door pocket is sagging it will affect the way that the door will close. kind of weird since it is basically only cardboard. Will probably replace with the fiberglass ones pretty soon.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
HEY! nobody said anything about sagging, i now understand. cheers, to you niner. post pics of your finished project. i think i am going to simply get rid of my pockets. maybe the RS door panels.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
never ending projects

I might go the rs door panel route myself. Either way need to pay off new engine first! Good luck. Chuck
Old 02-07-2004, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
aw crap, i am jealous of your new engine. nice. i am trying to drink away my ignition and CIS woes right now. haha. i think the rs door panels have a great minimalist look. have a good weekend.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Is the door maybe drooping also? If so, that would explain why it is not closing right. Chances are the door is the culprit and not the pocket.
1954 Dodge C-1-B8-108" 241V8 POLY
1973 Roadrunner 440-SIX-PACK*
1986 F-250 Super Cab-460 V8 tow
Newest additions-
Matching numbers 1973 340 Road Runner!!
1948 Dodge B-1-F-152" 1-1/2 ton Dump body, 39,690 miles
others...
Old 02-08-2004, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Double Trouble

I wanna be buzzed too!! Hmmm..wake and bake ......yeah.

75 914 1.8
07 Dodge Caravan
Old 02-08-2004, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
French member

Garage
Since the door pocket is made of carboard, the screws that hold it to the door can get loose in the cardboard. I fixed that problem by gluing (epoxy) a little piece of stainless steel inside the door pocket. Drilled a hole in the stainless steel and rescrewed the thing. Now, my door pocket stays where I want it to be.

If you remove the door pocket and the problem is still there, another common problem is having a door hinge loose in the frame. There is a kit that has a reinforcement plate to solve that problem.

Aurel
Hear my rebuilt motor! Dyno
Old 02-08-2004, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
Quote:
Originally posted by targa911S
I wanna be buzzed too!! Hmmm..wake and bake ......yeah.
my sentiments exactly.............
Old 02-08-2004, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
nice doggie

If your door is sagging, perhaps you need another shim under the lower hinge.

78 SC hotrod
02 Mini Cooper S
Old 02-09-2004, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

You can't imagine how good the doors look without those idiotic pockets. Lose 'em.

Stephan
Old 02-09-2004, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Formerly Steve Wilkinson
You can't imagine how good the doors look without those idiotic pockets. Lose 'em.

Stephan
if you did it without buying new door panels, does the handle look funny, just "floating" there? if it looks good i will yank mine off tonight.

cliff
Old 02-09-2004, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Yup, I just took my pockets clean off, even though I'd done my damndest to refiberglass and shape them, recarpet them and line them with leather. I still hated them and realized I never put anything in them. (I'm one of those anal compulsives who thinks there shouldn't be anything inside a car other than what is absolutely necessary and can fit in the glovebox.) Put some fender washers that I'd painted black (the color of my car's leather) under the screws that formerly held the pocket to the door, cut a small aluminum piece, also painted black, as a quasi-washer under where the flop-top fastener was--you'll see what I mean if you take the pockets off--and I don't find that there's anything odd-looking about the stock doorhandle and grab handle "floating" there. Looks perfectly normal to me. And think of all the "weight" I saved...

Stephan
Old 02-09-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
by bye door pockets! mine are nasty anyways. when i got the car i was pulling scary stuff outta there. q-tips, kleenex....bleech. my stepdad was kinda a pig with the car. on the flip side i also found about $50 dollars hidden throughout. chaching!

Old 02-09-2004, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: