Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rekeying the Glove Box (photos)

I wasn't able to find any posts (with or without pics) on how to get at and rekey the glovebox tumbler, so I'm hoping that this post will be helpful (not redundant) to those of you with similar lock/tumbler assemblies.

^Here's what the knob/lock assembly looks like *yawn* after you pop it out from the glovebox door assuming, of course, that you have a similar year car. (I have a '77 911S)

^The trick to getting at the tumbler is removing the little (and I mean LITTLE) retaining pin shown in the red circle. I used a small needle nose pliers to yank it out effortlessly. Tip: Put he pin somewhere safe because it's very easy to lose.

^After you remove the pin, the tumbler should pull straight out. WARNING: When you pull out the tumbler, doing so with the key inside the tumbler will prevent the "wafers" from hopping out. Also, there are tiny parts inside the assembly that may want to lose themselves in the hidden corners and cracks of your room, so BE CAREFUL!

^Here's the tumbler out of the assembly with one of the wafers pulled out half way. I got lucky with the rekeying of the tumbler. After playing with it for 5 minutes, I managed to shuffle around the existing wafers and come up with a sequence that worked perfectly with my ignition key. (read: no filing necessary! *whew*)

^Here's an exploded view of the knob/lock/tumbler assembly. As you can see, there's not much to it. I was AMAZED just how much gunk was caked/baked in the assembly. (It's no wonder that the knob was sticky and didn't have much recoil.)

^On the end of the tumbler is a cam. That cam is what articulates the cylinder lock ("tongue") into place when you use the key to lock the assembly. This photo shows the cam in the proper orientation --wide side up.

Reassembly is fairly straightforward. The trickest part of the reassembly was placement of the tension ring (round silver object in the exploded view) that needs to be inserted in a manner that causes tension on the tumbler housing as it's rotated. If you don't insert the ring and/or the tumbler housing correctly, it will be obvious because there wont be any recoil when you let go of the rotated knob assembly.

If you need to rekey your glovebox, OR if you have a sticky glovebox knob, I encourage you to give this a try. (IMHO, it's easier than installing those !&@*# wiper blade refills!)

Next week: Rekeying the tumbler in the trunk release handle.
edit: Here's that project/post: Rekeying the Hood Release (photos)

Last edited by Seven-Seven; 02-16-2004 at 10:13 AM..
Old 02-13-2004, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

nice write up.

'86 coupe

"there you are"
Old 02-13-2004, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Carlton, Thanks for the great tech article.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
Now we need a lesson on how to rekey the factory alarm system!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
What?

Garage
Good work! I'll keep that in my "just in case I need it" file. Thanks!
CaymanS
SCWDP / GruppeB
Old 02-13-2004, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Great Tech Article

Very clear article. I have a 77S and if I had this last December, I would be $50 richer!

When I bought it, the ony key that worked was the ignition key. I have been removing the locks and bringing them to my local locksmaith for rekeying.

I am looking forward to the trunk article because that's my next problem.

Wayne, please add this to the Tech Articles section.

Frank
Old 02-13-2004, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Great information!

I've done the same with door lock tumblers, but I haven't been able to find out what the best type of lubricant to use.... if any? Any suggestions?
'02 Ducati Monster 900ie
Old 02-13-2004, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Teutonics
Great information!

I've done the same with door lock tumblers, but I haven't been able to find out what the best type of lubricant to use.... if any? Any suggestions?
When I was having a problem of sticky locks, my locksmith reccommended "TriFlow Lube". It totally rejuvenated my 30 yr old locks. I asked about WD-40 and graphite. He told me that in the short term, they help but tend to gum up over time.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 02-13-2004, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Carlton,

Great write up.

Where were you a few weeks ago when I decided to do this? I just pulled my Targa Lock but decided I did not want to diddle with the pins so I took the bare tumbler to the Locksmith. It will go in tonight.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 02-13-2004, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
This thread has inspired me to post a want ad for a glove box tumbler, which the PO removed.
Very good post, Carlton.

My Owners Gallery Page

Non illegitimi carborundum
Old 02-13-2004, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Re: Great Tech Article

Quote:
Originally posted by FranksPlace2
Very clear article. I have a 77S and if I had this last December, I would be $50 richer!

When I bought it, the ony key that worked was the ignition key. I have been removing the locks and bringing them to my local locksmaith for rekeying.

I am looking forward to the trunk article because that's my next problem.

Wayne, please add this to the Tech Articles section.

Frank

Frank to pull the tumbler, it is fairly easy. (sorry no pictures)

1-Disconnect the trunk cable from the latch in the trunk. to be safe, put something in the way so the trunk does not close. The way the latch is designed, it should not latch without the cable attached but why take a chance).

*** EDIT ** When I put the tumbler back in, I noticed that the little screw (in step 4) can be revealed without disconnecting the cable. You may be able to skip this step and start at step 2 *****

2-Pull out the handle in the cockpit.
3-Put your key in the tumbler
4-On the bottom of the handle that is revealed, there is a tiny set screw. Using a small flat blade, unscrew this.
5-Pull the tumbler out. (behind the tumbler is a small pin that is the locking mechanism, it may fall out also.
6-Rekey and reverse steps to install.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300

Last edited by HarryD; 02-13-2004 at 11:03 PM..
Old 02-13-2004, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I just had great use of both this thread and that of the trunk re-keying.

I haven't got the red key so I have never been able to look my trunk or glove box. There was, apparently, only a very small difference between the keys so I just filed down the few wafers that needed it. Never removed any wafers.

This was a really simple job with this guide! Deserves a bump!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I just bought a glove box knob-lock assembly but do not have the original key for it.....I am getting ready to re-key it to my car's ignition key. My car is a '73 but the assembly looks exactly the same as the one pictured......except for mine has a silver colored cylinder assembly instead of black and the knobs are shaped differently.....the overall mechanisms are still the same.

I was reviewing this excellent thread about re-keying but had a question about removing the tumbler if I don't have the original key to match the wafer configuration that the lock is set to now. Once I remove the retaining pin, how will I remove the tumbler?......I do not have the original key to insert to configure the wafers to compress cleanly into the tumbler as shown in the above pic to allow the tumbler to slide out? Does that even matter? Should I just insert my ignition key into the assembly to keep the parts from scattering, yank the retaining pin, and pull on the knob & key?.....will the tumbler still slide out of the assembly?.....or will the wafers be sticking out of the tumbler preventing it from sliding out and then require me to stick things into the key whole to compress the wafers?

I thought I'd check now before getting to a point of messing things up and having to shamefully walk into a my locksmiths shop with a hand full of parts and admit defeat.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Again amazed by the great stuff on this forum!
For the first time my ignition key nicely fits all locks!
THANKS
Ed
VW T2 Riviera Camper van
Old 03-19-2011, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

good write up but, ive never really understood the point of have a lock on your glove box?

I mean it dosent help it stay closed any better and if someone is in your car to steal it or something in it chances are they are going to break it.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
For a Targa it's essential. I only drive when it's nice weather so the roof is most of the time in the bonnet. Don't want the owners manual, 70's cassettes or my shades stolen while having a cappuccino on a terrace....
VW T2 Riviera Camper van
Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
some people keep the registration in there. Valet can get home addy, copy a key and come rob ya......at least that's the theory behind the "Valet Key"......

I only have one key for the whole car.....valets never come near my ride.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: