Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Recovered my Targa top-pics + question

I bought one of the kits that come from Europe that are always on ebay, about $200. It came complete, was fairly high quality, and put together well.

This project actually went well, and came with thorough instructions that included numerous photos. Clean up of the old crud was probably the worst part, and recovering actually went pretty well. I can't emphasize enough the placement angle of the leading and trailing edges. This is what determines how it will look when on the car. I should've taken some more closeups, but the front looks pretty good, and the back has a couple of places where the edge could sit a little lower, but I'm probably the only one who will notice.

There are two rubber "pads" that went on the front of the side rails, I cannot figure out how they should go back on, as they are irregular shaped, and don't seem to go any one way. Anyone have any pics?
Old 03-03-2004, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

How did this make it to 2nd page with no replies? Great job Ed--how long did this take you? I'll be either recovering or going with the fiberglass JMPRO top eventually. What made you decide to go with recovering?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Ed,
Congratulations! I understand this is one of the more challenging repairs to do on our cars... Great job!
www.ford.com
Old 03-03-2004, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ed,

I have just done my '88 Targa too, the pads you mention were actually attached to the side seals on mine, leaving me in no doubt as to the orientation! I'll try to take some photos at the weekend; I don't have my camera with me now, and I'm away from home. On mine, black sealant had been used at the factory to make a smooth transition into the top on the seal pads. I have tried to copy this. I use my car in the rain quite often, and the fit and seal is important to me, as is wind noise, which I still need to tweak!

Jon Taylor

MY89 Carrera Targa Sport
MY93 3.0-24V Vauxhall Carlton Diamond
Old 03-04-2004, 01:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I'm not here.

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 911jon
Ed,

...which I still need to tweak!

Jon Taylor

We will be tweaking forever!
I think part of owning a Targa is striving for the perfectly sealed top. It's always in the back of my mind!@#*
Old 03-04-2004, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
As far as time invested, I spent the better part of a day stripping the old material and residue off. I didn't obsess on this, but the old foam basically disintegrated, and took a lot of scraping. I also tried "Goof Off", but that just seem to be messier. Another better part of the day covering at a leisurely pace.

Those rubber pads went at the front of the side rails/seals and sit up against the windshield frame as I recall...I'd love to see your pics Jon. I wished I'd taken dis-assembly pics, although that is my only issue.

I'm sure I would've had a more pristine top had I sent this to one of the pros discussed on this board, but my wallet would be probably $700-800 lighter. As much as the top gets used: Taking my wife out, and DE's, it works for me. Of course, if I were to rehab my A/C, my attitude would change.....
Old 03-04-2004, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Ed,
Great job, I've seen those kits on e-bay, what did it come with? Just wondering if I should try it or send her to Autos International here in town and let them recover and adjust fitment.
Thanks
'95 993 C4 M030, SOLD
PCA San Diego
Old 03-04-2004, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This is not a difficult DIY-its just time consuming. Mine required replacing the webbing as well, which is less of a big deal you might think, if you don't remove all of the old webbing at once.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 03-04-2004, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Double Trouble

Glad to hear it went well. I have been looking at those kits myself but even in his listing he says that this is not for the faint of heart. He says an engine rebuild is a skill level of 7 and the top is a 10. That seemed pretty forbidding to me. I just R&Red my seat skins and replaced the carpeting so I am not afraid of upolstry(sp) work. You have given me the courage to do this now.

75 914 1.8
07 Dodge Caravan
Old 03-04-2004, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yours looks every bit as good as mine, and mine was professionally done. Good work!
Old 03-04-2004, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Mine was professionally done as well and I agree that yours looks just as good. For 1/6 the price as well. Great Job!
Old 03-04-2004, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Rick: It came with the top skin already trimmed, the foam and linen that go under that, and the headliner.

Thanks guys for the comments. As I stated earlier, the pros couldv'e done a better job, but this worked well for my needs. The thing that REALLY prompted me to recover was the fact that my top ballooned up bigtime when I was on the track.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ed,

I'll post pics on Monday if I can, on and off the car.

Jon

MY89 Carrera Targa Sport
MY93 3.0-24V Vauxhall Carlton Diamond
Old 03-04-2004, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Jon,
I'm wondering the same thing, the pictures will help. Thanks!
www.ford.com
Old 03-04-2004, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

My first try at recovering my Targa Top last summer.

Save a couple of bucks doing it myself

On a scale of 1 to 10 I give this job a 4.5

Last edited by ruf-porsche; 03-04-2004 at 03:21 PM..
Old 03-04-2004, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: