Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
Cool Matt & Pat's most excellent powder-coating adventure

Just thought I'd post a pic of my fan/shroud that Pat and I powder coated with his Harbor Freight powder coating system. Before

After:

Not too shabby if I do say so myself. I think it turned out very nice, especially since I used about $5 worth of powder coating on them

Old 03-04-2004, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Schweeeet...
Old 03-04-2004, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to kstylianos
Very nice, indeed!!

How'd you bake?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
please provide home address and expected turnaround time for parts . excellent work.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I second Bob!!!

That would look great on my white '76S.

I'll gladly send you mine for further practice!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Binge User

Looks great, how did you bake it?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

What?

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by bob tilton
please provide home address and expected turnaround time for parts . excellent work.
Very good idea! It looks great.
CaymanS
SCWDP / GruppeB
Old 03-05-2004, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Did you bake it in the Kitchen oven?
We need more details, specifically how you explained this to the wife...
Old 03-05-2004, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I believe Matt and Pat used an ingenious and inexpensive baking setup that was sourced from local stores...... Powder coating ? - again (pics)

Nice work!
Old 03-05-2004, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RickM
I believe Matt and Pat used an ingenious and inexpensive baking setup that was sourced from local stores...... Powder coating ? - again (pics)

Nice work!
Thanks Guys,
Yep follow that link to see the baking tools. For Matts parts we did them one at a time in the small blue electric grill. It's much easier to maintain good temps in the small grill than it is in the smoker. I also did my front sway bar in the small grill by doing 1/3 of it at a time. Worked very well also.
There are a few more pics of my suspension parts at: tp://home.comcast.net/~74porsche911/winter04picsSuspension.html

Overall it's very simple work. If you have any compressor at all (you only need 15-20 lbs pressure, not sure about the CFM) you can get all the equipment and the grill for under $200. I got the sprayer, powder, and a bunch of extras from colmbia coatings, and the grill from Wal-mart.

Pat
Old 03-05-2004, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Old, used, discarded ovens must be readily available. Go visit a metal recycling place. You might be able to source an old oven for $20.

Nice job!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Heck Iím only 5 not 68!

Garage
Now that is something I'm interested in powder coating at home on the cheap. I have seen the Harbor Freight gun and the Eastwood gun advertised for reasonable prices. Would you mind giving a write up on the process of how you accomplished this fine piece of DIY.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Very *rough* directions (may vary depending upon thickness of metal, etc):
1) get your fan/housing and other parts bead blasted - required
2) wipe it down with a lint-free cloth + alchohol (not beer)
3) "outgas" the parts - Pat bakes his at ~200 degrees F for 20 minutes or so
4) powder coat the parts (ground part, spray with spray machine w/low air pressure)
5) put parts in the oven for ~30 minutes @300 degrees F

You're done at that point but you need to let them cool down. I believe all of this information comes with the powdercoating supplies. It's not that hard, but getting a perfect finish is an art form. It's not always easy to tell if you have too much powder which may cause runs, but they came out very nice, but not PERFECT.

Bead blasting my entire fan assembly cost me $50 at the local machine shop. A bit steep, but not crazy high. I'm going to do my engine tin also, but I'm not going to bead blast it. I've cleaned/degreased it well and lightly sanded it.

Pat, please add any info I may have missed.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
So, when you spray the powder onto the piece it adheres like fine metal dust to a magnet (why it's called electrostatic painting)....leaving a film on the part?

Then the oven melts the powder film?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Correct Rick. Its a really simple process. The details to get that really smooth finish separate a good coater.

Matt, as long as the paint on the engine tin is scuffed and smooth you can powder coat right over it. make sure to clean well, prebake and clean again. It will stick no problem and look great.

Jamie
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts and suspension setups. IG Classicautowerks
Old 03-05-2004, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
"please add any info I may have missed."

you neglected to include your rates .
Old 03-05-2004, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
bob, we could rent a black cargo van and drive to colorado for an adventure in kidnapping! we could farm out their work to all the other bay area guys to cover the cost of the rental van.

that fan is nice! i never thought black and white would look good like that, it is stunning! you guys need to buy...ahem, MAKE a blasting booth!

cliff
Old 03-05-2004, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

cliff, I have a white targa with black accents so white on black seemed a logical choice of color. I've seen soooo many other nice colors, so it was hard to choose I'll have to post a pic once it gets back in the car to give the full effect
Old 03-05-2004, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

nice doggie

Professional powdercoating can be cheap, if you find the right guy at the right time. It can also be damn expensive if you just have one or two little things and they're too busy to hassle with your project. Same thing with media blasting, you need to look around until you find someone that will work with you or you need to make your own blasting setup.

78 SC hotrod
02 Mini Cooper S
Old 03-05-2004, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Jerry, that's sooo true. I was kindof in a rush to get those done, so I paid a bit of a premium for it. I just heard of another guy who does it also and probably would have charged about $20 for the lot.

Brian, you got an EXCEPTIONAL price on blasting + powder coating on yours. I dont believe yours is the norm though.

Old 03-05-2004, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: