Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
do your doors open easily?

my passenger door was replaced from my accident last year and since wouldn't "pop" open when you hit the lever.
so i removed the latch assembly and added a 1/2 turn to the spring for more tension on the latch.....
and wallaaaaa......door pops open perfectly now.

here's what i did, my door panels were already off.......

1....unbolt rear window track
2....lowerd window and pull track strait up out of the door, reraise when track is out.
3....unbolt latch assembly and lock/lever arms
4....secure latch assembly to workbench
5....note where the spring is positioned to the latch
6....using good needlenose pliers remove the spring carefully
7....rotate spring 180 degrees "tighter"
8....reassemble just like it came apart

in the first pic the latch was closed, the second it was open which is why the center is positioned different.
the drivers door spring is probably wound counterclockwise so you'd need to tighten oppisite for that door......but my drivers door is fine so i didn't pull it apart

Last edited by bell; 03-07-2004 at 01:50 PM..
Old 03-07-2004, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

good tip - note the lack of a circlip on the post in the center of your spring - my '73.5 doesn't have that either

there is another thread where that circlip coming off was a problem - apparently the newer cars did w/o it and have the top of the post peened with a chisel to hold the spring

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-11-2005, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

WARNING : if you have a 3.2 Carrera Coupe, do not follow these instructions to the letter as you will totally trash your door frame. Ask me how I know.

For 3.2 Coupe cars, the door frame arrangement must be different to whatever car is described here (it seems to be a targa model). In order to properly access the latch mechanism, you need to unbolt BOTH the rear track, and front track and totally remove the frame from the car. If you try to lift up the frame on the door latch end by unbolting the rear track only, you will need to exert quite a bit of pressure, which will bend the frame precisely where the frame is bolted on to the section of frame that houses the 1/4 window.

It is possible that these intructions are only for a targa model car.

This gave me a very painful lesson not to rely on forum advice without researching the matter more thorougly and ensure that the instuctions are relevant to your model car.

In the end I had to get a new door frame because of this, and woudldnt want other members of limited 911 experience to suffer the same fate.

RG5

Old 10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: