Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
Exclamation Hosed by Bently again!

The Bently manual has been pretty good most of the time, but on my tranny rebuild, it's gotten me twice on things that it should not have. First of all, 350-4 has an exploded view of the Pinion shaft and if you look at first and second gears, it has the pictures of them reversed. The placement of the gears is correct, but the images are transposed. The next thing was that it just barely mentions the placing the shifter selector rod in the gear housing, but doesnt show a picture or the orientation of the rod.

Now, I have to take the friggin gear housing off AGAIN and get the placement of this rod correct without any diagrams. I'm dissappointed that they scimped on these diagrams and would have helped a great deal in assembly had they included them. If you're rebuilding yours, ensure that you note these things or they will bite you too!

Old 03-07-2004, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Matt,

Have you got the Hayne's manual too? I havn't looked at your specific gripe, but it seems they have better exploded views of engine, trans & running gear. YMMV
'95 993 C4 M030, SOLD
PCA San Diego
Old 03-08-2004, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Has anyone else been confused by Bentley's description of the firing order? I installed spark plug wires in the firing order they list in a clockwise direction since they say distributer rotation is clockwise. After the engine was only running on the 1st and 4th cylinders, I realized the wires needed to be installed counter-clockwise.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
Rick, yes I do have the Haynes also, which tipped me off. I also verified the pics I took when removing. It's just one of those annoying things...
Old 03-08-2004, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Our Host Should add Tranny Rebuild

Suggestion: I think the next edition of our host's book should have one more chapter which walks us through rebuilding our 901 and 915 trannies. He would then change the title of the book to "How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Drivetrains 1965-1989. With that additional tranny chapter, I would buy another copy of the book and then venture into the insides of my 915 which intimidates the hell out of me.

Doug
Old 03-08-2004, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Irrationally exuberant

Garage
The SC (and I guess Turbo) distributors rotate counter clockwise. All the other 911 distributors I can think of rotate clockwise. You know those SCWDP guys just have to be different...
-Chris

Old 03-08-2004, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: