Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
Question low power, from oil overfill?

After I put my engine back in, it's been running a little rough and seems to not have much power. I was filling it with the big jug of oil instead of the normal quarts, and I wound up filling the oil tank just above the line. Looks like maybe 1/2 a quart over or so, but still over. Could this be my problem? The oil is not overflowing or anything, so I'm not sure. Another thing that's bothering me is that one of my spark plugs wont get 18ft lbs of torque on it. It's pretty tight I guess (not loose) but it's not tightning any more. I'm afraid it may be a bit stripped. I'm hoping that the oil is causing the low power, but I cant be sure. Any ideas?

Old 03-12-2004, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pull the airbox cover and take a look at the underside of the sensor plate. Clean as needed.

Also be sure to remove the hose that attaches to the oil fill (just under the cap) and rotate the hose down so it can drain. The other end goes ito the throttle body if memory serves.

The plug is another matter. Do you mean you cannot get a click out of the wrench, but the plug will not move? I'd pull the plug and have a look at the threads for any swarf. Then get a mirror down there and have a look. Take an old plug and see if you can finger tighten it in without resistance.

Don't mess around with the bad threaded plug -- you don't want it shooting out of its seat. Might be a need for a rethread...

John

EDIT: Just to add, I am sure you have retimed, set CO, etc on this car? All the basic measurements in good nick, valves, etc.? You'd have to start there if you have'nt already.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Jdub, I did do a full tune up a few months ago including CO, timing, etc, and it ran perfectly before I pulled it. I did pull the distributor to get at the fan strap, but that's now set fine, but the idle is rough like it's missing.

If the oil is just a bit over the top mark (1/4" maybe), can this cause the problem also? If I do drain some oil, I will try to just drain a bit so I dont have to do a whole change.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

is the frequency valve making noise? it needs to function or the engine will run poorly.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 03-12-2004, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

JW, how can I tell if the freq valve is running? It's like it just has low power, could it be the extra oil?

Last edited by UTKarmann_Ghia; 03-12-2004 at 06:39 PM..
Old 03-12-2004, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

JW, ur a genius. I went to look at the CIS connector behind the engine, and it appears that my cheap help did not hook it up! Plugged it in and viola, smooth idle and power to boot! So should I drain the oil to below the top line or just leave it a little above it?

I will also check out the spark plug and see what's up with that.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hey, cut me some slack, I'm not used to all those "extra" wires, fancy cruise controls and such... At least I didn't forget to torque the two bolts that hold the entire engine in place
Old 03-13-2004, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

get the oil level down to half way between the marks on the dipstick, or sooner or later you will take a corner hard, or stop hard, and the oil will slosh thru the breather hose into the intake, and you will lay down an impressive smoke screen.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 03-13-2004, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ok, thanks JW, that's what I thought. Man, the big oil jugs are hard to judge when you're filling her up...lesson learned.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
big jugs are good, no?

keep us posted on the sparkplug thing, i always wonder about this. the horrors of a stripped plug thread.

what is your oil capacity? 4 qts to the gallon,..... two jugs and then some more? maybe buy two jugs and a few quart bottles, the best of both worlds.

congrats on all the new stuff.

cliff

Last edited by vash; 03-13-2004 at 08:24 AM..
Old 03-13-2004, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hey Cliff, yep I have nothing against big jugs Jugs are 5 gallons each so 2 is about right, but I also added a quart of MMO which put me over the top. It's fine, I just let a bit out this morning and it's back within limits As far as the spark plug is concerned, I was able to removed it and reinstall it and it torqued just fine...go figure.

Old 03-13-2004, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: