Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Carrera windshield smudgers...

...or something like that. I think French car amateurs would wholeheartedly agree that the 3.2 liter Carrera and earlier windshield wipers are comparable to the ones found on the CitroŽn 2CV.
Or, to be perfectly clear to those who don't know what a 2CV is: they are a miserable excuse for the term "windshield wiper").

What alternatives could work on a Carrera? Would wipers from a 964 fit on a 3.2 liter (are they any different or better?). Or from another Porsche car? Or from any other type/brand of car? Has any one on the board ever heard of alternatives?

Because, really, what lousy wipers!!!

Last edited by Paul Franssen; 03-22-2004 at 06:18 AM..
Old 03-22-2004, 01:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Well, this is news to me, everybody's happy with their Carrera windshield wipers!?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
911 user

I think part of the problem is the shape of the windscreen and part comes from the age of our screens which are a little scratched and pitted and impregnated with muck.

I found that wipers on old cars work a lot better if the windscreen is intensively cleaned and then treated with Rainex. Also helps if the blades are new.

My other car is also a Porsche.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Paul,
Have you ever tried the product Rain X on you windows?
If not pick some up and apply it to all the glass and mirrors.
You won't hardly need the wippers then Great stuff and cheap insurance.
I would also get some fresh new rubber or silicone blades if you havn't already.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Tkuvm, Bob's Flat Six, and Milu, too.
I agree that, when I got caught out into a shower on sunday, the car had just been washed but the windows not cleaned beyond the normal Maguire's bodywork detergent...the result was quite a smear...
I have, a few months ago, "polished" the windshield inside and outside with some Turtle wax glass polishing paste, made them look better.
The blades are more than a year old, but hardly ever used and when parked, they are parked in the "high and dry" mode (i.e. not against the window). But I'll buy new ones before I leave for Spain on 02 May...
I will also clean the windows super squeeky and apply Rain X, which I've had sitting in a plastic bottle for 6 months but never used.
I still wonder, though, if there be any better blades/wipers on the market... because you will agree, those thingies are, well, not quite up to par with the car's profile!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I can't really understand the problem since they are such perform such a simple function. In the times I've used them, they work fine. If you want to talk about poorly functioning items, check out the defoggers when its humid and raining!
Old 03-23-2004, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have fought for superior visibility for quite some time, and in a location that gets plenty of rain. My conclusion is that clean glass, really clean glass, is hard to achieve and requires constant maintenance, to stay clean clean clean. Of course, really clean glass, plus new wiper blades makes for excellent visibility. But who's got time to clean their glass daily?

So, I switched to Rain-X. I like it better. Actually eliminates the need for wipers, as long as the Rain-X has been applied recently, and polished like the directions suggest.

For sure, get NEW wiper blades. They make a huge difference.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: