Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Windshield washer motor

My windshield washer is not spraying. I want to test the motor and can't locate it. I have found what appears to be the headlight washer motor up by the battery (and its not working either). Is the windshield washer motor behind the dash. How much trouble is it to get to?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The windshield washer pump is indeed up by the battery. I replaced mine but it still didn't help. Strange thing is, that I found this nasty algae slime growing in the fluid tank and it had plugged up the strainer on the suction tube. If the pump is spinning, then look for clogs in the system.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If that is the windshield washer pump by the battery then where is the headlight washer pump?
Old 04-14-2004, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Well, I can't help with the headlight washer pump, but I can tell you both that one (two actually) of the most common parts to cause a problem when trying to get water on the windshield is the pair of valves that are in the line just under the windshield cowl. Up at either end of the cowl under the windshield are what looks like 2 plastic elbows (actually one's an "L", pass side, and one's a "T", driver's side) When these valves get old they stop working. Also, my pump got clogged with crud, you can take the thing apart (4 screws), clean it out and it will probably work like a champ.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 04-14-2004, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
It's pretty easy to take apart and inspect. My pump gears corroded. I dressed them up on the flat sides with 600 grit. One pass did the trick. I then polished the facings with simicrome.

On the brass backing plate that was etched from the corrosion. I tried polishing it the same way. I read on the board that all you have to do is flip it over if the opposite side is virgin. I bought a new pump just in case at a swap meet. I have had the cleaned up pump working for 2 years now.

Lee 78sc
Old 04-14-2004, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Does someone know for sure where the pump is? The pump by the battery is burned up but I was told it was the headlight pump. Where is the windshield washer pump? behind the dash or was I given bad info the the pump by the battery.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

The pump by the battery is definitely the windshield pump.

I did a search for "headlight washer pump" and found this thread which may have more info for you,
Windshield/Headlight Washer Plumbing Help Needed

Quote:
The pump mounted on the large reservoir with the big hose is for the headlight washers. The smaller one inside next to the AC condensor fan is for the windscreen.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

PS How do you know for sure that the pump by the battery is no good? Do you see physical damage or it just doesn't work? If it just doesn't work then take it out, take it apart and clean it, then hook the motor up to the battery with some test wires. That's the best way to check the motor. You could check for continuity across the contacts, but even that's not a definite check.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the location info. Last night hotwired it to the battery, leaving the ground connected and I heard nothing while a little smoke sizzled up. I assume it is cooked. I could try cleaning it up. Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Hmm, well, mine was not working, so I cleaned it and then hotwired it, but if you saw smoke....
Old 04-14-2004, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I can back Masraum up on this issue. I just had my windshield washer system fixed. The pump is definitely in front of the battery. My system was clogged, so the mech blew out the lines with compressed air, after which the system functioned for about a week. Went back and had the two valves replaced, works like a champ.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: