Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'69 911T - What's it worth???

Hi guys (gals?)

I need it like a hole in the head, but....

Orange 1969 911T coupe

45K on the odometer, (prob. 145K)

older respray, bubble near rear window and at top corners of hood)

pretty good first impression, even up close, some tiredness inside (7/10)

door sheet metal seams etc appear intact, no bondo detectable.

I know the history, stored last 8 years (old tires...)

S leather seats

Fuchs

Engine has webers and black fan shroud (where do I find the engine no?)

Recent rust patch on underside of rockers below and fwd of at rear fender (not bad work).

Can anyone tell me what it's worth? Many thanks for any assistance!

Dave
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 05-16-2004, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Dave-

This is a very difficult question to answer without a complete picture of the condition of the car. The rust mentioned is a bit ominous sounding, so careful examination of the whole unibody is in order. Rust repairs can be expensive. If the car has been sitting for 8 years, there was probably a reason it quit driving, and there may be drivetrain issues there. The engine needs to have compression and leakdown tests for you to know what you're looking at in repairs, and if it isn't driving, you have no way to test the tranny out.

Invest in a PPI by someone familiar with the early 911 if you're considering buying it. You can be "upside-down" on a fixer in no time with these cars. It could be worth anywhere from $3-7000 USD, depending on the extent of repairs necessary to get it in good, driveable shape. It is probably worth more in parts. If the "S leather seats" you mention are the early sport seats, those can be worth $1500 alone, in unrestored condition. If the Fuchs are the deep 6s, they can be worth $1000. Read this thread on early 911 values for more ideas.

HTH,
TT
Early S Registry #257
R Gruppe #232
Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
Driving Porsches since 1964

Last edited by ttweed; 05-17-2004 at 08:22 AM..
Old 05-17-2004, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

DDS,
Sorry for jumping in.

ttweed,
What are your thoughts on the value of '77 911S (no sunroof) with 50K in clean condition.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by devo230
ttweed,
What are your thoughts on the value of '77 911S (no sunroof) with 50K in clean condition.
My thoughts? The '77 911S is the red-headed stepchild of the early S cars. It was the last of the 2.7 mag-cased engines which were stressed to the max. with the thermal reactors added by then for smog purposes. The chassis was bloated by safety and convenience items that had added a lot of weight from the pre-'74 S classics.

The only good news about them is that the bodies were fully galvanized by this time and they weren't quite as susceptible to rust. In a hot climate, though, they don't hold up well. If this car truly has 50K original miles, it would be somewhat of an exceptional example, as 150K would be more likely. If the engine has never been out and upgraded, I would be worried about the top end (valve guide wear and pulled head studs.) A lot of these cars didn't make 60K without a rebuild. Once they are rebuilt and upgraded properly, they can be a bargain, but you are competing with the SC which came out the next year and had a reputation as being bulletproof, so their value is limited.

I think a beat out, cheap '77 would make an excellent candidate for a track car with a transplanted 3.2 or 3.6 in it, but otherwise, I would not be interested. That's just me, though, and CA smog rules which would make it difficult to keep street legal.

YMMV,
TT
ps- Just to prove there is an ass for every seat, check this one that just sold on Ebay for almost $12K!
Early S Registry #257
R Gruppe #232
Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
Driving Porsches since 1964
Old 05-17-2004, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
[i]
there is an ass for every seat, [ [/B]
LOL! Never heard that before.

Thanks for the advice, I will proceed carefully if at all.

Dave
pics at
Old 05-18-2004, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Quote:
there is an ass for every seat
That's only half of the saying. If you hang around the car business for any extended period, you will likely hear:

There is an ass for every seat, and it's the salesperson's job to find the biggest ass.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Had a better look at the car. Those seats look 944-ish - do the early S seats look like that? They fit this ass just fine.
It is probably quite driveable as is - looks really clean from 20 feet or so, gaps good, doors don't sag, feels solid. I'm told the synchros seem fine (pretty good if 145k miles)
It has two new front fenders installed years ago (maybe 15) - they are in perfect shape, (no undercoating was the clue), one headlight bucket starting to rust. I can only guess the car was rusting back then and got re-fendered. I couldn't see any accident damage to the area where the hood latch is.
Door pockets are broken, goofy stereo, rubber seals tired, facet fuel pump in engine bay. Much paint missing and surface rust under front trunk carpets.
I also noticed that the 1/2" flange of steel where the rear fender folds over the rear door post is not crisply defined, the edge appears partially filled. Is that 'factory'? On a 914 it has a crisp metal edge, and when the car is bondo-ed it is usually filled in completely, a telltale sign. This 911 is neither here nor there. Thick paint? Old rust-bucket?
The respray is old, as mentioned there are a few bubbles so repaint is in the near future and at least the rear window will require removal.
The car was stored because the owner moved, and he never regained interest.
Sooo.... $4k? $6K? $8K? Probably warrants very careful rust inspection, and of course powertrain stuff above.
pics at
Old 05-18-2004, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

how much is pleasure worth?? I've got a 70S Targa, paid $7500 for it and another $3000 in "things". I outran an '83 SC by leagues the other day and can't get enough of the sounds of the webers especially when the cams come on around 3500 rpm.

What price is shear joy worth?? You only go around once!
Old 05-18-2004, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Nice. An S... now that's a different beast! I love those engines.
This would be toy car no 3, so I have to rationalize it by making an exceptionally astute purchase. ;-)
As to driving pleasure, it would have some competition. My other cars are mid engined - I'm building a Lotus Europa that I hope will eat SCs in all respects (well, performance anyway) and my 914 will handily spank a 911T. I was thinking of the T more for for posterity, (it will appreciate) civility and comfort. (three kids, four seats) Plus it looks soooo cool in orange!
pics at
Old 05-19-2004, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: