Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Project 73 911 R/RS -- Week 7, part 1

OK, so it's really like weeks 7 and 8, maybe 9 too, but at progress is being made. Cage is coming along, car has full brakes and body panels are starting to go back on. The pics...

Complementing the 84 suspension are a set of early Turbo calipers. The rears need to be machined, and both F and R need shims/spacers to fit the stock mounting points. Rear discs are OEM Turbo, fronts are custom Colman's to fit custom hats. Everything bolted together quite nicely, the toughest part is keeping shims on the bolts while getting the calipers on.

A 23.8 mm Mercedes unboosted master cylinder and new lines will complete the circuit.

Test spin:

The rears require a bit more work. Rear calipers need signigicant machining. Stock 84 trailing arms. Note the little tabs top and bottom just fore of the hub. these need to be cut off and the mounting hole corners rounded over.

I used a cut-off wheel on the grinder to get these off, followed by a Dremel cut-off followed by a flap-disk sanding wheel to clean up the area.

The finished product

A few pics of the cage in process. James (JPAchard) is handling this area. The end product will be a full RSR style cage with F and R suspension tie-ins and beefy side intrusion given the tin foil doors I picked up from another member.

Some detail:

Macro view:

Jump to Part 2:
Project 73 911 R/RS -- Week 7, part 2

Last edited by Shaun 84 Targa; 05-16-2004 at 08:15 PM..
Old 05-16-2004, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice!

I'm curious about one thing, though. How come no cross bar on the cage?

Chad aka "Chili"
1974 Base coupe in Carrera outfit.
No A/C, no Sun Roof, no power windows. Fast and light, just the way I like it. (Sad to say, it's sold. But at least it remains with us on this board.)
My car http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/CHILI
1969 RSR Project. Heavy on the word PROJECT! No pictures yet. Keeps breaking lenses of cameras.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Nice Work Shaun!
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles
Old 05-16-2004, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by CHILI
Very nice!

I'm curious about one thing, though. How come no cross bar on the cage?
Thanks Chad, the cage is still very much a work in progress. door beams and cross bar will be done this week. Once the cage is done and painted, the interior mechanicals can all go back in.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Shaun-
Thank you for documenting your project and posting the pics. I am sure there are many people here that have found it very interesting and informative. Keep it up.
TT
ps- looks like you will have one sweet ride when you get done!
Early S Registry #257
R Gruppe #232
Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
Driving Porsches since 1964
Old 05-17-2004, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Damn, you don't screw around. Looks like things are going good, very nice.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to irl
Painting

Nice work, I am going through a rebuild myself and your images brought up a question I was going to ask the board. How far will you going putting it together before you paint. You have a lot of the suspension going on, is it Ok to not worry anout overspray.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Re: Painting

Quote:
Originally posted by irl
Nice work, I am going through a rebuild myself and your images brought up a question I was going to ask the board. How far will you going putting it together before you paint. You have a lot of the suspension going on, is it Ok to not worry anout overspray.
Good question. One school of thought is to get the bare tub rust-proofed with POR15 or Wurth, get the cage in, get the body panels trial-fitted and then shoot the entire car.

I am going another direction. I like the silver Wurth Rust Guard becuase it is bright and tough, and therefore easier to see in and around work areas like engine bay, suspension, front trunk. I would not want to work in a dark blue (body color) engine bay.

But even better for me is that by having all mechanical areas Wurth Silver, I can assemble the entire car, even get it drivable, and then spray the body. My plan is to paint the entire plastic front end off the car, paper over the entire front end, all door and window openings, engine bay and rear inner wheel wells.

With a good day of taping there should be no overspray, a perfectly blue body and bright silver mechanical areas.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Car looks great Shaun. WHen do you expect to be driving again?
RGruppe#252
Old 05-18-2004, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cornpanzer
Car looks great Shaun. WHen do you expect to be driving again?
Driving versus drivable versus legal. hmmmm.

I think mid-June is pretty realistic at this point, depending entire on paint.

Oh, and I also just quit my job to start a new business or 2, so budget is extremely important.

We'll see what happens this weekend.

S
Old 05-18-2004, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
very nice Shaun. Good idea on the bright color for the dark areas. Many racer build ups use that concept and I considered doing that if I ever did an extensive rebuild like yours, but I was always curious if anyone would actually go that route for THEIR 911. Good job.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Gorgeous...

Old 05-26-2004, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: