Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuse Panel Diagram or Picture

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the fuse panel for a 1974 911 (Targa). I suspect that the previous owner may have put the wrong size fuses in some positions. I am trying to avoid going through the wiring diagrams to look for the correct amperage. I would like the easy route. Position #1-Red Fuse, or a picture would be nice also.
Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 07-01-2004, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A little help here.....Please.
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 07-01-2004, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
'76 C3 is from top 5amp, 25amp, 25amp. I'm sure that yours is diffferent because of the different heater setup.

Other than that maybe someone w/ a '74 manual?
Old 07-01-2004, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is there a diagram in the owers manuel? I don't have one, but maybe someone could scan one for me.
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 07-01-2004, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
911 driver

Maybe this will help?

PIC needed PLZ: SC fuse box

http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_Parts/911_electrical_diagrams.htm
Old 07-01-2004, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry I thought you wanted the engine compartment fuses.

The front ones are listed on the back of the cover, is that still w/ the car?
Old 07-01-2004, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

P.87...pocket spec book for 74:
Doesn't say which end is "front" of car:
1-foglites 16A
2-license plate lites 5A
3- fr/rr parking lites right ... 5A
4- fr/rr parking lites, left...5A
5- low beam ,rt...8A
6-low beam, left...8A
7- hi beam, rt...8A
8- hi beam , left..8A
9- fr turn signal, rt...5A
10-fr turn signal left...5A
11-l/r stop lights, flasher relay, backups...16A
12- rear defog relay,blower, rear defog indicator lamp.. 25A
13-windhield wiper/ washer ...25A
14- sunroof, rear wiper...16A
15-Aux heater, cig lighter, blower switch indicator lamp...16A
16-power windows..25A
17-emergency flasher...16A
18- interior lite, clock, glove box lite, trunk lite...5A

Engine compatment:
1- sportomatic...5A
2- not connected.... ( -)
3. rear defog..25A

Relays in fuse box:
1. A/C....
2. Fog lites
3. Horn

--Wil
Old 07-03-2004, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Ferch View Post
P.87...pocket spec book for 74:
Doesn't say which end is "front" of car:
1-foglites 16A
2-license plate lites 5A
5- low beam ,rt...8A
6-low beam, left...8A
7- hi beam, rt...8A
8- hi beam , left..8A
16-power windows..25A

Engine compatment:
1- sportomatic...5A
2- not connected.... ( -)
3. rear defog..25A

Relays in fuse box:
1. A/C....
2. Fog lites
3. Horn

--Wil
Sorry to raise the dead. I'm sorting wiring on my '74 and I can tell that someone has been in here before and moved wiring around. I'm looking for the correct specified color wire on each side of the fuse.

Fudged panel soon to be replaced with ATO blocks as soon as I have the information to proceed correctly:

Top/bottom
1-foglites 16A (White with green stripe / white with yellow stripe)
2-license plate lites 5A
5- low beam ,rt...8A
6-low beam, left...8A
7- hi beam, rt...8A
8- hi beam , left..8A
16-power windows..25A

Thank you,
Andrew
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 07-08-2015, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Have you seen this ATO fuse panel that Pelican is selling ?
In my opinion the best design there is in the market actually.
No affiliation

New company and new products. 'Classic Retrofit' 911 Fuse Panel and CDI+ ignition.

Check the installation instructions also

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/electrical/911-FPR_Installation_Guide.pdf

Last edited by donporfi; 07-08-2015 at 01:36 PM..
Old 07-08-2015, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hi, I am the designer of the Classic Retrofit replacement panel. I have quite a few fuse panel pictures from installs so can hopefully help you through this mess. Actually, it doesn't look too bad but some of the wires are a bit suspect. I don't understand, for example, why the left hand wire is so thick if it is only a 5A feed!

Fuse 1 as you listed them is on the right. Numbering in the wiring diagrams is the same as your numbering.

The numbers stamped inside the fuse box lid on later cars correspond to the fuse way number on the fuse block itself, hence 1 to 3, 1 to 10 and 1 to 8. Your car doesn't have the left hand 1 to 3 block. Our replacement panel uses these numbers. If you fit it you will gain the left hand three fuses for use as you wish.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Hi Jonny,

Thanks for the response. There definitely was some tomfoolery with the wiring on the panel. I suspect perhaps when the car was painted/restored in '91 that the body shop may have mixed up a few wires when moving the panel around. Many of the wires/screws still have the wax pen from the factory intact so those I suspect are okay. Regardless, when I bought the car in '12 everything more or less worked except for the clock in the dash. The few diagrams I have found in color out on the WWW don't jive with what I see on my panel which tipped me off that I should find a legitimate color diagram to reference during my switch to ATO. Why, also, are there 3 feeds into #17 but 15 and 16 are empty? Are they bussed together on the back side?

I've built more than one chassis/engine harnesses by hand and a few megasquirts from ground up so I'm not really intimidated by the prospect of tracing the entire harness out... I would just prefer to not pull my dash apart if I can help it in the process. If you have a known-unmolested '74 fuse panel picture (coupe) then that would be a help.

-Andrew
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 07-08-2015, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Factory '74 schematics, download, print, tape together...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s292jtsyvl6llw2/AABF-ofgMfoMltGa99Asphr5a?dl=0
Old 07-08-2015, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Straight shooter

Garage
Excellent Dennis - thank you. I've downloaded and will go through in the coming days to check colors against my panel.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
You are welcome. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
And remember, S=F... Thin lines between them means they are connected together in the back.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Fuse panel info

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorschePilot View Post
Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the fuse panel for a 1974 911 (Targa). I suspect that the previous owner may have put the wrong size fuses in some positions. I am trying to avoid going through the wiring diagrams to look for the correct amperage. I would like the easy route. Position #1-Red Fuse, or a picture would be nice also.
If you will send me your email address, I will send you a schematic for your Targa. It shows fuse size and wiring colors. Send to p911sc80@gmail.com
Old 07-09-2015, 02:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Hopefully he hasn't been looking for 11 yrs!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Better late than never...
See what happens when you revive an old thread.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapkritis View Post
Hi Jonny,

Why, also, are there 3 feeds into #17 but 15 and 16 are empty? Are they bussed together on the back side?

-Andrew
Assuming that the original 10 and 8 way blocks are the same throughout the years - then (using your numbering) they are connected on the back between:

13, 14, 15
17, 18
+ you have a brass link on 15 and 16 which effectively gets power across to 16.

Certainly on later cars, original wiring has crimped ferrules on every wire end. Other wire ends are foreign or butchered.

A few words about spade connectors:

If you are considering using ATO holders that have spade connectors, I would strongly advise that you use 'bare' metal crimps with a professional ratchet crimp tool and proper boots / heat shrink. If your crimp tool is from HF, throw it away right now.

Be very wary of the spade connectors with the blue/red built in insulation unless you are 100% sure that the tool you are using can make the crimp. You should be able to tug on the wire hard and it not come out.

If the crimps are not 'made' properly you are potentially introducing dozens of failure points into your car which will totally negate the ATO improvement. Although you may see this as salesmanship I can assure you it isn't. It is the reason we stuck with screw terminals on our design because most folks wont have access to proper crimp tools and they are expensive to buy.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Does someone have a diagram for an 82 SC? I have a couple stray wires hanging out near my fuse panel and hope to get them hooked back into their proper fuses.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayles View Post
Does someone have a diagram for an 82 SC? I have a couple stray wires hanging out near my fuse panel and hope to get them hooked back into their proper fuses.
Amazing what a title search will do...
See post 5 here:

Fuse diagram
Old 07-09-2015, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: