Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Yeah, I regretted letting those mounts go. The speakers I purchased new back in 1988, I think. They've been in about three or four different cars now. This car will be the last stop for a loooong time! I bought the sub enclosure from one of the guys that worked in a/d/s/'s car audio department about 8 years ago. I happened to be talking with him about the system I was building for the Targa, and he told me that he had bought what was left of the sub enclosures when they ceased building them. Apparently, the cost to manufacture them was just too high for mass consumption. I paid the guy $350 for it new and unopened. It's been sitting, waiting patiently for me to buy a coupe all this time!

The next pic is the enclosure that I built to hold the actual a/d/s/ subs for my targa (the a/d/s/ box only fits coupes). While it worked OK, it's HEAVY and a little small for the drivers (system Q is way too high!).

Old 07-26-2004, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

david914,

Please wait, I'm wiping up the drool. Congratulations on the excellent find. Do you still keep in touch with the gentleman who sold you the enclosure? Any chance he has any left after all this time? Iíve searched high and low for that setup for several years now.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Last edited by TurboRuf; 07-26-2004 at 04:48 PM..
Old 07-26-2004, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
the ads box is very nice........thumbs up (the ads box is the only rear box i've ever liked).

i'll try to get some pics this week of my tweet mounts, it is ideal to have the tweet close to the mid......but if you have access to an RTA and have a flexible eq then anything can be tuned out.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm doing this right now - 100% eBay purchases. Nakamichi 400 head unit (just came today) Audiobahn 2502DP amp (small and powerful), passive speaker crossovers. 6.5" Kicker mid-bass in the door. 4" 2-way high mid/tweets for special kickpanel mounts I have in mind.

Speaking of which, has anyone here cut a template for creating kickpanel speaker mounts for a 911? I want to mount the speakers angled back toward the occupants... all of the aftermarket stuff is for much larger speakers than the 4" I have in mind.

TIA
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 07-26-2004, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

After I bought the enclosure, I took one look at it and decided against modifying it to fit the targa. Too nice. So back in the box she went. That was about 8 years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't stayed in touch with anybody at a/d/s/, I'm not sure if they even have any of the people who were present back then. So much has changed. Michael Kelly, the engineer who designed the 320i left back in the 90's and started Ariel, a high-end home speaker company. I worked for a high-end home audio company back then and we were a dealer for Ariel. Got to talk to Michael on a number of occasions. Nice guy, really bright and down to earth. Sincerely interested in making the best product, not just money. His designs show that. Very detailed in every aspect. You oughta see HIS home theater speaker designs!

I looked back through my files. The only thing I can find is a guy by the name of Mike Stewart. I believe he's the one that I bought the enclosure from. Like I said, it's been 8 years or so. I doubt he's even still there, but you can certainly call a/d/s/ up and see. One other avenue would be to contact Rich's Car Tunes in Massachussetts. http://www.cartunes.com/installs/porsche/1982porsche/index.htm
I know for a fact that they have not only installed these, but have fabbed them up as well. Check out their website for an SC coupe that they did using the same setup. Your biggest problem, if you don't already have them, is to get the actual subwoofers that were made for this, the S6.2i's. I don't think they're made anymore.

Techweenie, you may already know this, but Speakerworks (also known as USD) sells kick panels made for the 911. I'm sure they're pricey, but that is one way to go. http://www.usdaudio.com/

Last edited by david914; 07-26-2004 at 06:35 PM..
Old 07-26-2004, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
David: no, I didn't know. Perfect! Thank you.

If you're talking about sub-only enclosures, Car Audio Innovations up in Sacramento makes great ones. Rod Birch, the owner, is a big 911 fan and I've never heard a negative word about him or his installs...

http://caraudioinnovations.com/
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 07-26-2004, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

David,

Thanks for the info! How does the a/d/s enclosure mount? Does it require drilling any holes (cringe)? Could you provide me with some measurements? I've done a lot of custom glass work in the past, might not be too hard to fab. Just time consuming.

I had a line on some s6.2i's but I'm not sure if they are still available. Those are super rare finds as well. Enjoy the setup and post some pics when you get it installed.

Here is a pic of the Speakerworks kickpanel.

Last edited by TurboRuf; 07-26-2004 at 07:31 PM..
Old 07-26-2004, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Sub and amp

Contrary to popular belief you can have a Sub in the 911 without loosing your rear seat. If you are looking to win a "blaster show" then you loose the back seat, but if you are looking for quality sound that's crisp and solid the key is good components. I'm using a 200 watt amp located under the drivers seat and a 6" SoloBaric. the advantage of this speaker is that it is very accurate and only needs 1/3 cu ft of box. I have my box mounted against the firewall in the drivers side. That small of a box doesn't kill the foot space and the sound is awesome.
1983 944 - Parting out
1980 911 - Weissach Edition
Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

TurboRuf,
The enclosure gets screwed to the firewall. I haven't decided exactly where and how many screws, but rest assured, it will be hard to drill through my panels! All in the name of good music though. The good news is that's all the holes that will be necessary. No large holes to pass wire through, or speaker magnets, etc.

I would be happy to get you some measurements and detailed pics of the enclosure. Especially now, while it's out and bare. I'll PM you when I get them together.

What happened to SVK? Guess we hijacked his thread! I hope he's taking all this in and getting some ideas.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by david914

I would be happy to get you some measurements and detailed pics of the enclosure. Especially now, while it's out and bare. I'll PM you when I get them together.
Thanks David, I greatly appreciate it. Look forward to your PM.

Quote:

What happened to SVK? Guess we hijacked his thread! I hope he's taking all this in and getting some ideas.
I guess we did. Sorry SVK. Hopefully we still added some value to his post.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Dept store Quartermaster

You guys could do a band pass box and put it under the bonnet and vent it in. Some of these setups work quite well.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

I saw one of those that tapped into the A/C vents so there was no cutting of the metal work.
1983 944 - Parting out
1980 911 - Weissach Edition
Old 07-27-2004, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Hmmm..

6" Diamond Audio components in doors
4" Diamond Audio components in rear quarter panel
8" Boston Accoustic subwoofer in custom enclosure (the "snout")

Precision Power amp for the sub
A/D/S four channel amp for the components

Nak 45 head unit
Nak remote five CD player under hood
XM Commander radio under passenger seat
Mods include: Kokeln IC, GHL Headers, Hooligan muffler, Modified K27 7200, BL WUR, LC-1 & XD-16, Bilstein Sports (4), TRG sway bars, Oversize torsion bars, Strut brace
Old 07-27-2004, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Go with Alpine or Macintosh Zapco Amplifier
Dynadio (home audio 4 ohm drivers with custom x-overs or MBQ Separates
single 10" JL Audio sub

Your system will kick and sound great
A jewel in the rough
2000 Grand Cherokee
Family Wagon with Jewels on board
Old 07-27-2004, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

To keep this moving...

Another set of 911 kick panels:

Old 08-01-2004, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

I like those better - they don't seem to stick out as much.

Now, what is the adv. of the kick panels over mounting in the doors?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

I've heard very good things about the Focal PolyKevlar 165K2P2 Component Speakers. They are in the same league as the DynAudio range I believe.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 08-01-2004, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
fyi.......you don't need to vent any sub enclusure that in under the hood to the passenger compartment, subs reproduce "subsonic" frequencies (below 60hz).....these freqs will make their way into the cabin because there is no where else for it to go.....
my single 10" is firing up from the smugglers box and it's more than loud/accurate enough
Old 08-01-2004, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Being my very first post here, I hate it to be a argumentative one but....

I have installed car audio since 1984, in 1989 I started in professionally and now own my own Co. that pertains to car/home audio equipment (accessories).

the point made above that reads...
Quote:
fyi.......you don't need to vent any sub enclusure that in under the hood to the passenger compartment, subs reproduce "subsonic" frequencies (below 60hz).....these freqs will make their way into the cabin because there is no where else for it to go.....
is incorrect to a major degree.

first off, if you stand outside your vehicle, can YOU hear the bass? can you see the hood vibrating?

that is a major loss of bass reflection that is NOT going into the cars interior.

in fact, in a Porsche that is seemingly a very tightly sealed car, the amount of pressure that would be going into the car, is mostly being suppressed due to this. (especially with the windows up!)

so, in turn, the bass you are wanting is like having a box with a speaker in it, within another enclosure.

a bandpass box vented into the car is exceptional.

I have tried many different ways of getting 'quality' bass from my 911 and I have come to terms that it is a difficult task
without requiring interior loss.

But, since interior loss was not an option for me as it was more important to lose trunk space, the enclosure went up front.

being im 'old-school' and I have used id say damn near everything and anything made to date in the car audio industry, I will say many of the people here have a very good idea of quality products.

the only problem here today in the car audio market is that many of the excellent companies out there are now just riding on their old name.

Like MB Quart for example.... I have 4 sets of their ORIGINAL 6.5 component sets and a few of their 8 inch 2 ways still working to date.
the instructions when these were at their BEST were still in German.

about 1995, MB Quart turned to making a cheaper line of product and if you were familiar with their original quality, you knew immediately they have made poor changes.

as like ADS, in the old days, their Power Plate series of amps were extremely well built (I still have some of them as well)
today, total crap!

if you know what you are looking at under the hood of an amp, you could see this in seconds. (I also do tech repair on car audio amps)

JBL amps, good in the old days, today, not worth a dime. (they were bought out)

Zapco... old days System 200's (aka model 151/151a) or their ORIGINAL 'Z' series, great stuff, now.... I would not buy it.
(Big Zapco fan too)

Sound stream.... bought out, now, not worth the money.
(someone mentioned their old stuff, light blue color, series II, or was it MC, either way, great amps, not super power but damn clean!)

Rockford Fosgate, old PUNCH amps, good for bass, no tonal quality.

Old HiFonics, when made by ZED Audio, great 'power' amps, not for tonal quality.
(also, Autotek, these were also ZED amps, same rules apply)

Rodek amps, also made by ZED Audio, same above applies.

Blade amps, very nice, clean sweet power! (not sure if still in bus. or not)

PPI amps, nice all around amp, cant really go wrong.
same with Phoenix Gold and Xtant (X- PPI engineers that started this Co.)

Earthquake, old stuff, cheap knock-offs of HiFonics made in Korea (but use the phrase "Born In The USA" to make peps think they are made in the USA.)

ORIGINAL Crunch amps, made also by ZED, great power amps, no tonal quality.

I know guys...not much good info here, just trying to show you the old days VS this new crap that is out.

Point being , your OLD ADS units and such are way superior to the new stuff.
so, to have someone go out today and buy a ADS piece, its not even remotely the same product.

EVERYTHING is made overseas, I mean damn near.

also, note that there is another German speaker out there. when I was working for another Co., we were the first in the US to import these.(we only did this for 3 years)

Rainbow is the name, and the same guy who brought everyone MB Quart, was trying to get these here but he did not have the capitol at the time to do so.

someone else got some of the line here to the US i think in 1997 then he (about 2 years later) got the complete line here.
to be honest with you, im not so sure how good the quality is now, VS in 1992 when we brought it into the US. (it was damn good back then, as good as my original MB Quart.... since I have these in my 911, I know)

speaking of which, here is a set on ebay now, these are not mine... I would NOT be selling them !

take a look....

Rainbow Speakers

these are the 5.25 inch drivers with the fabric 25 MM (1 inch) tweeter.
I do NOT recommend the metal tweeter, way to harsh. (titanium)

On imaging in the 911.... its very possible and quite nice if you
understand a cars interior and do some testing prior to making holes.

as for rear speakers, i would highly recommend them as you will miss 'fill' in the rear without them.

you can get a VERY NICE used Pioneer head unit on ebay for about 150 bucks with a changer that used to cost over 1100.00 when new (retail).... I know, mine was on there for only 152.00 last week!

my cost was 502.00 for head unit and changer was 220.00 in 1997.

well, I think i have typed enough here, hope it does someone some good.....probably not....lol.

PS,
Bell, I'm in Garrettsville, about 20 minutes from you to the North-East :-)
Old 08-02-2004, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

http://www.cdtaudio.com/car_audio.htm
many have never heard them . they are truly amazing in their ability to push sound to a center point no matter where you are sitting in the car
2nd would be mb quart
check into jl audio amps good stuff
http://www.jlaudio.com/
also am partial to alpine head units but have heard a couple of eclipse systems that were incredible . but any stereo sytem if set up properly can sound good and for $1600 you should be able to more than please yourself

Old 08-02-2004, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: