Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.47 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Griffith's fender condenser dimensions

I'm trying to get the dimensions of Griffith's fender condenser, both the KEUL and Duel KUEL, any help? Also is it a parallel flow or tube and fin type. Any pictures beyond the Excellence MR. ICE article and Griffith's web site would be appreciated.

Old 08-07-2004, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

bump!

Bill, they are both tube/fin units.
I couldn't get any dimensions out of Griffiths, but after talking to him and looking/measuring the area and few pictures of the duel-kuel, I realized it is quite small.
I'm opting to go the a 993 condensor in the left front fender, that I know will definitely work. Found a used 993 condensor/fan on ebay for $125 and there are more to be had
Old 08-08-2004, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've had some *ahem* discussions with Mr. Griffith. Pretty pricey and he'll only sell complete "systems".

I'm going with a 13" spal fan on my 930 condenser with a shroud so the fan pulls through the whole condenser and a pro-cooler (as a former engineer, it works, raising the temp of the condenser and lowering the temp of the evaporator with the same compressor). I think these changes alone should do the job. If not, I'll add one of these units:

www.mtgparts.com part number ac-8041

100 bucks, includes the fan, and its 14.5x12x4 inches and made to upgrade limo A/C.

Phil
shaved gutters
backdated to opening vent windows
Old 08-08-2004, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by philipguziec
If not, I'll add one of these units:

Where are you going to fit that condenser? The unit I put in my left front fender is much narrower. How does one that big fit up there? Here's how mine mounted:

Old 08-08-2004, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I actually haven't done the measuring yet, but I'm thinking the front of the drivers side rear wheel well. I'm going to measure the car this afternoon. I'd rather get away with the elegant solution of the pro-cooler and proper airflow management. If a properly shrouded fan gets me 90 percent of the way there, I'll just go with that.

The perfect part weighs nothing, costs nothing, and produces a couple of watts. Not adding a part like a condenser if I can get away with it has a negative weight, a negative cost, and saves a couple of watts.

I'll post a report of the pro-cooler and shrouded fan condenser solution, along with pics of the fan install.

Phil
shaved gutters
Old 08-08-2004, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Scott,

Does your front condenser have a fan?

Thanks for the reply guys,

This thing looks like it might work,
http://www.mtgparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MTGI&Product_Code=AC-8041&Category_Code=&Search=ac-8041&Search_Type=AND&Offset=0
Old 08-08-2004, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bill:

Yes. The fan is located at the bottom of the condenser, on the back side. You can see the two nuts and washers in the picture. They're attached to thin threaded rods that I pushed through the condenser. The fan is attached with the rods.

Scott
Old 08-08-2004, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Scott,
What size is the fan? The condenser looks alot like an aux. automatic transmission cooler.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I bought the condenser from www.iceac.com. It was billed as an a/c condenser, though it probably doesn't matter. I think the fan is 6.5".

As you can see, it tucks up into the fender quite nicely, and there's plenty of tire clearance. I wired the fan using a relay off the fan from the car's original front condenser.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage

I made a mock up (14.5 x 12 x 4.5) and it fits, tight but it fits

Scott,

What do you pay for your front condenser setup? Also, did it come with the hoses? I'm thinking I can do this rear setup up for about $200
Old 08-08-2004, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think I paid about $300 for the fan, condenser and hoses.

The reason I don't like the rear quarter set-up is its proximity to the exhaust. There's a LOT of heat back there. In front of the rear well, however, it looks like there's room, and less heat.

Last edited by scottb; 08-08-2004 at 08:53 PM..
Old 08-08-2004, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yeah, I fiddled around with a tape measure in front of the driver's rear tire and there was plenty of room to fit that unit. I think that's the plan, assuming the fan on the condenser and the pro-cooler don't do the trick.
shaved gutters
Old 08-08-2004, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You guys are reading my mind. I have also talked with Charlie and didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from him. He seemed resistant to any modification or hybridization of his system. I told him that what I wanted to do was to remove the lid condenser and go with units in the front fender and perhaps in the rear fender ( my 78 does not have a condenser up front). He jumped all over me..Why would I want to remove the lid condenser? Duh,!!! Anyway, my thoughts have been to go with the C2 condenser in the front fender and I have been trying to get some info from those of you that have gone down this path. If need be I would also add one griffiths units in the rear fender...although his stuff is very pricey. I had asked him about fitting the big rear unit into the front fender and he told me it wouldn't fit. Any thoughts on who I should be a compressor from? I'm also thinking that in addition to replacing the hoses that all my fittings will need to be changed which may be an issue with the evaporator.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I'm sure if you write a check to Charlie for 5 grand or so, he'll set you up with a complete system that'll work just fine. Other than that, there are many on this board who should be able to help you out with more detailed info on a roll your own system. Try a search in the archives, too. I found lots of good stuff.

Phil
shaved gutters
Old 08-09-2004, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by philipguziec
Yeah, I fiddled around with a tape measure in front of the driver's rear tire and there was plenty of room to fit that unit.
Keep in mind that you need airflow around the condenser, even though you'll have a fan. That unit seems mighty large to fit in front of the rear tire!

Scott
Old 08-09-2004, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The space is a tapering area with an extra inch at the smallest dimension. My "engineering judgement" (my thesis advisor said, 'it's not a guess... it's an engineering estimate') says it would work just fine, if the extra condenser is even necessary. I'm thinking a properly shrouded fan on the tail condenser will do the job with the pro-cooler.

Phil
shaved gutters
Old 08-09-2004, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
IT FITS! More to follow as the project evolves

"What's cooler than cool? -- Ice Cold!"
Old 08-21-2004, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Bill:

Have you mounted it yet? If so, do you have pictures of the mounting brackets? Which unit is that?

Also, I assume the fan is a "pusher," so that you're not sucking hot air off the cat thru the condenser. What are you going to do for a rock guard?

Nice job!!
Old 08-22-2004, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Scottb:

I've just started the project so I'm still working out the details.

To answer your quesions, 1.) I haven't mounted it yet, just completed a fit check, 2.) No pictures of the mounting scheme yet, 3.) the unit is an mtg parts ac-8041 as discussed above, 4.) the fan is a SPAL pusher unit, 5.) rock guard in the works alonf with the brackets and hoses.

I'll keep posting pictures as it evolves.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

Looking good!

David Duffield

Old 08-22-2004, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: