Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rust in '74 Gas Tank

Just when I was getting ready to reinstall my rebuilt engine, I noticed rust in the gas tank! Iím rebuilding a stock í74 911, so I assume Iíve got plastic baffles. Iíve learned from previous postings that sealer products wonít work, or will damage the plastic. Does anyone know of a do-it-yourself solution, or do I need to spend the money for a new gas tank?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just went through a situation with a rusty tank. I flushed it, treated it with rust inhibitor etc. but overall nothing can really adress all that rust. I may have had an exteme situation. In addition I installed some clear filers just to monitor the sitiuation and it was amazing how must rust accumulated in such a short time, and give you problems, despite everything I did. If its a car you want to keep I would simply spend the extra money and buy a brand new gas tank. Then you'll have eliminated completely somthing thats will only give you a myriad of trouble in the future, checking and replacing lines, filters and also the very real possibility of leaving you stranded somewhere you don't want to be at the wrong time.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: