Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Detached Member

Subcooler (Procooler) plumbing question

I've been reading Jim Sims's posts and others on A/C systems, and I've removed all my A/C and am installing bigger and more condensors and fans. Question about the subcooler (procooler). I'm trying the subcooler that Jim spoke about in his posts, at $15.00 versus $300 for the Procooler. Question about plumbing though.

In Jim's picture, do the big lines connect in line between the R/D and the evaporator or the small lines? Does all the refrigerant from the evaporator discharge (suction) go through the other two connections, or as a side stream? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The high pressure side of the compressor has the smaller fittings. I think the smaller fitting would go from the R/D output to the evaporator input. The evaporator output would connect to the larger fitting with the other end going to the compressor suction.
Gruppe B #309
Old 08-20-2004, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Detached Member

Hey Jim:

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well. As I thought more about it, it makes sense that the small lines in the system connect to the small lines on the subcooler, and ditto for the larger lines. Not thinking too far forward to day I guess. I've decided that I'll probably buy a set of gauges and a vacuum pump. Since I may have to futz with the system (possibility of leaks) the cost of one pump down, leak check and fill is close to the cost of a non-commercial set of DIY gauges and an air compressor driven vacuum pump. I'm going with R-134a at this point with front and rear condensors, a wheel well condensor and a small underbelly condensor that's pretty rugged that I have. The seiko seiki compressor that I have is for R12, and it has a very, very slight oil seal leak at the shaft. I may try using it again versus buying a new or reconditioned one right off the bat. With gauges and a vacuum pump, its no big deal to replace. I'll have a combination of flange and oil ring fittings due to the mix and match age of the condensors, evaporator, and compressor. Custom fit barrier hoses in the entire system.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If you have Autozones around, you can "borrow" the pump and guages by leaving a deposit with their loaner tool program. You 100% back when you return them. I was told only the "commercial" Autozones have the pumps so call the nearest to find out where you can get one.
Gruppe B #309
Old 08-20-2004, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You can get the compressor rebuilt for a reasonable price since it needs to be working well for the system to perform in California heat. I tested my system with compressed air to find the leaks. My setup is simliar to yours. Custom fit barrier hoses, 2 multipass unberbelly condensers with bump shields, sanden compressor, Procooler, and I am adding a 964 wheel well condensor. If you have a 964 condenser, I would like to see some digital pics of the fit (ie: orientation, mounting bracket, etc..).
Gruppe B #309
Old 08-20-2004, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That should be enough condensers to cool a suburban. Look forward to the results because I'm probably going to add a condenser next year.
Its 94 degrees here in Houston (108 with the humidty) and my stock system following a tune up two seeks ago is getting mid to upper 50's on the highest fan speed in city traffic and low 50's (52.2 according to the digital stat) at the mid setting on the highway. I am a happy camper especially as I am headed to south Texas Monday where its over 100.
1987 911 Guards Red Targa, nearing 200,000 miles, lowered, 7's & 8's, 964 grind cams from John Dougherty, A.P.E. Mass Flow Sensor with chip to match, cat bypass, strut brace, dual out muffler. Will consider newer model in 8 years when I turn 75 and then maybe not.
2012 BMW 528i (wife's)
2007 Toyota FJ (rain and off road days)
Old 08-20-2004, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
It sounds like more than it is. I have no rear condenser and the 964 fender condenser is replacing the front condenser. The 2 underbelly condensers cover just a little more area (about 46x17 inches) than 1 of the Performance Aire units. I expect to get high 30's to low 40's at the vent once the 964 condenser is installed.
Gruppe B #309
Old 08-21-2004, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Detached Member

Hi Jim Simms, thanks for the response and the PM. They helped a lot. I just flushed out the condensors with denatured alcohol followed by a blow of the air line and a lot of junk came out of the rear deck lid condensor which I got from UNIMOG on this board for the cost of shipping. I'm installing condensors and figuring out wiring now. I ordered the subcooler that Jim Simms ordered, $15. I'll report back to the board when done, probably a week or two due to a business trip in a week or so.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Where do you purchase this $15.00 subcooler?Where are you mounting it?
Old 08-22-2004, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Why the foil wrap?
Old 08-22-2004, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Detached Member

Just to add to the brain trust, I found that what I needed for plumbing for Jim Sims subcooler which can be used in stead of a Procooler is flared fittings 3/8" and 5/8" copper tube fittings available from most hardware, Loews, Home Depot, etc. You may also need 3/8" thru 5/8th" tube flaring tool. Also, 3/8" tubing uses 1/4" pipe fittings for 90 degree turns. Pipe and tube are different, but 1/4" pipe elbows "sweat" or solder onto 3/8th copper tubing. The 3/8" and 5/8" fittings fit on to most of the a/c piping that has flare fittings. Hope this make sense for anyone reading this in the pcar library brain trust.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hugh R

You ready to charge up that A/C yet?

Got the SC at the house today... if you're hanging around the garage, maybe I'll swing by later this afternoon.

TonyG
Old 09-19-2004, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Detached Member

Hey Tony:

Just got back from taking my daughter up to UCSB as a freshman. I'm close on the a/c. I'm getting a few more hoses made up this week. Maybe you can stop by one night this week and see how I'm progressing.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hugh R

No problem...

Shoot me a call when you're just hanging around the garage this week...

TonyG
Old 09-19-2004, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: