Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can anyone identify this gas tank?

Can anyone identify this gas tank? I need to get the rust out and remove the outlet fitting to clean the filter screen (there are some good threads on this topic; thanks to those who contributed). On my gas tank, it appears that the fuel lines are welded (I can’t see a filter screen???). Also, my ’74 should have plastic baffles, correct? Is there any chance that I have an older tank (see pictures)?. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2004, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

The other guys on this board know a lot more than me.

What I could see was that it is made for a collapsable spare. Probably '74 or later.

Good luck,
David Duffield
Old 08-24-2004, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks David. My car is a '74. I guess I'm hoping that the gas tank came from a previous year, so I can treat the inside for rust.

Charley
Old 08-24-2004, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Gasoline User

Garage
Hey Charlie,
Your tank looks just like the one in my '74. Mine has plastic baffles in it. You can view the inside somewhat by removing the fuel level sender from the top. If you want to access the fuel screen, you have to remove the recessed-hex plug on the bottom. Do you know for sure that it has internal rust? Mine did not when I inspected it.
Hope this helps.
2013 Cayenne GTS Schwarz
2014 911 GT3 Rhodium Silber
Old 08-24-2004, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Bob,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. When I removed the fuel level sender, I didn't see any flakes, but there was plenty of orange. Since the tank is easy to remove, my plan is to clean it and keep an eye on my filer (self delusion, I know . . .)

Chaley
Old 08-24-2004, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: