Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Talking Removal of Dust Cap on Frt wheels bearings

Here's an easy way to remove those difficult dust caps with items you can purchase anywhere. No more pounding with or cussing... This is so easy my 8 yr old could do it!

This photo contains all you need. I purchased these two 2" muffler clamps and lug nut from NAPA for less than $5. The key item is the lug nut. This will allow mechanical power to push the cap off.

Next assemble the the two muffler clamps as shown. The only tricky part, if you want to call it tricky, is to line up the second cross bar item on the muffler clamp with the lug bolt. Use the two screws from the second muffler camp to do so. Then screw the lug out until you can see the dust cap being pushed out a bit. Then move the lug nut and muffler clamps approx. 180 degrees and screw the lug out at the new position until you can again see the dust cap being pushed out a bit more.

Now with the damn thing loosened up you can pretty easily get the dust cap off with a hammer - use the muffler clamp to pry against. You still will need to pry on one side then rotate the wheel and pry on the opposite side to get it off.

Finally - pay dirt! That was easy wasn't it?

This is the only way I could get my Dust Caps. I'm sure they had never been touched since they left the factory in 1984. I started by using the pounding method and after about 3 hrs gave up (sweaty, brused, and beaten...). I hope this helps!

------------------
Chris Bell
1984 911 Coupe
Old 09-18-2004, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Exactly the method I used except that all I did was use the hammer and one clamp exactly the way you are in photo 3.

Works like a charm which is good considering how many more difficult or complex methods I've heard here.

I've often tried to explain, but people often do not understand, now with your pictures it should be much easier.

Thanks for the service
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-19-2004, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Chris! I used the 'one clamp' method (along w/ several other techniques) with lots of pounding, cussing, etc. when I did this before. I'll try the two clamp method as you have suggested the next time around.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Chris,
I got excited when I saw the subject matter of your thread - I got even more excited when I saw it contained pictures! I have tried on two separate occassions to remove these same dust caps as so I can perform the front-bearing adjustment but relunctantly gave up on both attempts because I just could not get a grip on the caps without performing irreversible damage. I am going to the auto parts store this morning to pick up the required parts. Your guidance, write up, and especially the pictures on this matter is much appreciated.

Does anyone know the exact size/pitch nut needed for the Porsche lugs?
Old 09-19-2004, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Try A Cats Paw

I use a nail remover or "cats paw" as it's called in the trade. Here's a picture, though it's not a good one.

Just rest the curved portion on top of a lug bolt and slow pry off. It will pop out a little at a time so you need to rotate just like you would when torqeing the whels. Clean, cheap and very easy

John
Old 09-19-2004, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Great posting. It is always good to get valueable information from this site. That is what is great about this forum.
Thanks again,
I dread trying to remove these things to do a bearing adjustment or repack, plus they usually get all marked up from pipe wrenchs and such used to remove them.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 09-19-2004, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Used Up User

Garage
Just fought with it last weekend. It's actually really easy.

Use 2 hammers. Stick claw on the tiny indent & wedge it against the hub. Smack the upturned hammerhead with a second hammer. I used a small axe. Rotate around the cap & it will pop right out.

Jeremy264 suggested it in a post.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 09-19-2004, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
BTW it took me 4 hours of fighting with it using various stupid methods & cursing the d*mn thing before I searched & found the hint.

I PM'd Jeremy to thank him profusely.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 09-19-2004, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by imcarthur
Just fought with it last weekend. It's actually really easy.

Use 2 hammers. Stick claw on the tiny indent & wedge it against the hub. Smack the upturned hammerhead with a second hammer. I used a small axe. Rotate around the cap & it will pop right out.

Jeremy264 suggested it in a post.

Ian
I'm gonna say what I said last time I saw this.

NEVER HIT A HAMMER WITH ANOTHER HAMMER. Hammers are made harder than what they hit, i.e., chisels, nails etc. When they hit each other, they can fracture and bury a metal fragment in your head or other body part. Even safety glasse may not be good enough, but are certainly a must.

Now you can take this advice from a seasoned carpenter, or not. But, I have read that such a fragment hit an artery of a worker once and it was lights out permanently for the poor soul.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Ok, Zeke.

How about tap? You can't really smack it anyway because it just slips & you rip your unprotected hands on the wheel bolts. Ask me . . .

You just tap it & work your way around (tapping only!) & the cap gradually eases out.

Ian

Old 09-19-2004, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The tool works well with a slide hammer.
J.p.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Glad I could help out "fireant911". This little device turns a painful job into a piece of cake. As far as the lug nut, I took one of my wheel lug nuts down to NAPA so they could match it.

I sure like the looks of "jpahemi" tool, but the NAPA kit works and for less than $5!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just trying to pay back how helpful this site has been for me.

------------------
Chris Bell
1984 911 Coupe
Old 09-19-2004, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jpahemi
The tool works well with a slide hammer.
J.p.
First time I've seen 'the tool'...where'd ya get it from?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I believe its 14mm x 1.5

Wil
Old 09-20-2004, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
I'll say it again too - wear safety glasses - and with the two hammer solution - you really don't need to hit it that hard where you will fragment it. Just tap, turn the hub, tap, turn the hub. If you really want to save the opportunity of a life ending situation, make sure one of the hammers is a dead blow hammer and you should be 98% safe.

Again, I believe this is safer method than pulling a car off jackstands because your dust cover is bonded on there (which is what I almost did using the muffler clamp, then the channel lock method).

Zeke brings up a good point though - hammers are designed to hit things that are softer than they are. So be careful what ever method you choose.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Keith:
I got the tool from Baum Tools in Florida.
www.baumtools.com
Regards,
J.P.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks J.P.! I found the tool on their site, but didn't see a price (or a way to order one). If you don't mind my asking...how much, and did you simply call them to order one?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Keith:
I called and ordered it. Many years ago they sent me their P-car tool catalogue. The thread is metric; I bored the hole and tapped it with SAE thread for US version slide hammers. One wack and the cover is off, two at most. It may be overkill if you don't do this regularly, but I got tired of the alternative methods and replacing caps (I'm anal regarding scratched up parts).
Regards,
J.P.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Comment on slide hammers...

The Turbo version has a nut welded-on the cap center...because the cap is buried deep within the hub on a turbo so the "ridge" can't be accessed.

I tried this at a friends body shop where we did his car...result?....we broke the freakin' slide hammer !!!!.

It's only a dust cover fer-chrissakes....why does Porsche make this "bulletproof" and make it such a difficult job??

Wil
Old 09-21-2004, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wil Ferch

It's only a dust cover fer-chrissakes....why does Porsche make this "bulletproof" and make it such a difficult job??

Wil
Ain't that the truth Wil! The next time I have mine off, I am going to make 4 'slits' on the portion that is concealed inside of the hub (as someone suggested on another thread) in order to make this easier in the future. They must have some seriously powerful dust in Germany!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: