Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Auto Heat Help Needed

Hello,
I have the automatic heat control option in my 1982 SC. It is not working at all, with the cold months approaching I am trying to fix it without having to take it to the wrench!

I have taken the housing cover off over the Parking brake and red heat control knob. Everything looks good except for the the metal piece that is coming off of the red heater control knob, it actually kind of looks like the piece that pops into the back of the accelerator pedal, a metal rod with a small ball on the end. This piece was not plugged into anything? So it is basically hooked up to the Red heater control knob on one end and nothing on the other. I have a feeling to should be attached to something up in the housing that is related to the dial that controls the heat flow? I just cannot find what it plugs into? Does anyone have any idea on this one? It is getting cold in Michigan!
Thanks!
2003 BMW 325i ex got in divorce
1969 912 Coupe (sold)

PCA Member
Old 09-19-2004, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It attaches to your heater flaps. It will open them up when you turn the temp. knob. Mine was not attached either. The cup end goes onto the red lever's ball? end. Check your manual for a more detailed explanation.
He!!, i don't even know if my heat works righ. If I turn the knob past 3, it gets hot enough for me.
Hope this helps. Where are you in MI? i could help you if you are not too far from me. i am up near the fine town of Flint.
Wayne

Wayne
Old 09-19-2004, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had the identical same problem. The 'other' end does indeed have a proper home. Take a good read at the thread below and it should fix you right up.

Auto heat troubleshooting
Old 09-19-2004, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks guys, I read the link and that was very helpful. I think I may have an idea of what to do....So the non-attached end of my knob (no jokes please), will actually be attached to the two cables on the underside of my car (heater flap cables). Do I thread those cabes up into the vehicle from underneath and reattach or do I stick that rod through a hole in the floorboard of the car and re-attach the whole deal underneath the car. I think it is the first of the two (snaking the cables up into the car?).....thanks!!!

Oh and Wayne, I am in the Waterford area, if I cannot figure this out, I may take you up on the offer. A roadtrip to Flint in the 911 would be fun!
1969 912 Coupe (sold)

PCA Member
Old 09-19-2004, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The rod itself doesn,t attach to the cables, there is a steel ball end on the servo motor up inside the cover and below the dial area, the other end ataches to the steel ball on the Red lever linkage end, this end you can see if the small side covers are removed, its easier to attached the upper servo end first and then press on the lower end through the side cover.

Steve

86 - Carrera 3.4 LWT

www.impactbumpers.com
Old 09-20-2004, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Did you get a chance to check out the linkage yet? I found removing the passenger seat made it easier to see in the side of the servo control box.
I think Steve M911 gave a better view of the problem. It should be able to be fixed in the cabin.
Wayne

Wayne
Old 09-20-2004, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

ok guys....I think I have found the "other" metal ball that the rod should be attached to. Is it way back in the auto heat box, on the passenger side? It is VERY difficult to reattach the rod? I removed the access cover on that side, but I have to snake the rod back at least an 1 1/2 or so. Once I think it is attached it is impossible to get leverage to snap the ball on....Am I attaching to the right ball.....Wow changing my alternator was easier than this!
1969 912 Coupe (sold)

PCA Member
Old 09-27-2004, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

sounds like you have the right parts. It's alot easier if you take the passenger seat out. That's what I did, and then replaced my seat bolts with cap screws for the next time they come out. Good luck,
Wayne

Wayne
Old 09-27-2004, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
I'm in the middle of this too. As Wayne said, take the pass seat out & then access is easy.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 09-27-2004, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I dealt with this a few years ago... seems it was easier to attach the inside one if you first turn off the heat control and wait for the servo to move so the ball is towards the front. I took my whole console out, lifted it up, attached the rod, then screwed it back to the floor. I was able to do it that way without removing the seat....
48' Lincoln Continental
Old 09-27-2004, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Quote:
I was able to do it that way without removing the seat....
Yeah but then you don't get the joy of cleaning the encrusted crud on the console that you can't reach or see when it's wedged in between the seats.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 09-27-2004, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

if the rod came off once, it will do it again unless you update the plastic ball sockets. the old ones had a lock flap in the end that was supposed to snap in place to hold the socket together. the new ones are just a tight fitting socket, no lock flap. if you think the old ones are tough to pop on, try these. lift the unit up off the floor, slide the rod back toward the motor lever, get the socket worked over on top of the ball, and use a large screwdriver to pop it on, levering/twisting off the side of the housing. takes a few tries. then attach the front ball and socket. the motor needs to be cycled to the off position so it's ball arm is farthest to the front before doing this.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
As John said. The flaps break.

Part # 99916802140 is the ball socket end that screws on to the servo control rod. $2.42 CDN each at the local Porsche dealership. For adjusting, Bentley says 118mm +/- 2mm center to center.

Ian

Old 09-28-2004, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: