Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
Question CV Joint pics, what now?

Hi all, my boot ripped open so I'm repacking my cv joints. All of the balls look good, but this part of the joint does not (at least to me). There wasnt any knocking or any other issues that I knew of before finding the boot torn. Is this acceptable, or does this require a replacement? Obviously, it was working before, so I guess I could just put it back together, but I want your opinions, thanks.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

whoops, forgot the pic

Old 10-02-2004, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

That joint is worn. It should be replaced.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts and suspension setups. IG Classicautowerks
Old 10-02-2004, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ya, I can tell it's worn, but will it last another 5 years? Does it need to be replaced now?
Old 10-02-2004, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

Mine were in worse shape than yours and made no noises I only dismantled everything to replace boot and repack. These are fairly cheap parts and while they are apart I would replace them.
2005 Lexus GX470 Offroader
Julian Williams
Old 10-02-2004, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

That thing is dead. The steel has a surface treatment to keep it as hard as possible (nitrited?). When the surface is gone, the CV is gone in a matter of hundreds of miles. This one turned my car into a helicopter noise-wise:

Old 10-02-2004, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ok, sounds like another $80...is it possible to just replace that center piece? The balls are all perfect as is everything else.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I've used pieces of older CV joints to get a complete assembly for temporary use, and it worked. Supposedly the balls, cages and center piece are matched for precision. If you have spare pieces in good order you could give it a try. Given the trouble one goes to to replace the axles, I would use new matched sets, which should last a long time if you keep an eye on the boots.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Doubt you'd be able to find CV joint parts. Just replace the joint and have a close look at the others while your greasy..

Chris
Old 10-02-2004, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
Try this: CV Experts, why not flip a CV joint?

Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 10-02-2004, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: