Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Were Bump Steer Kits installed at factory for 83SC?

In my research on upgrading my 83 SC with the Turbo Tie Rod, I have gone down the slippery slope and find myself learning about bump steer.

I believe my car came from the factory at Euro ride height in 1983 (Or maybe the dealer in the US lowered it?)

My question is: Was it set up with the bump steer kit installed or is this something I will have to add?

Many Newbie thanks to all!!

Quincy

"Air cooled, fountain pen guy, living in a water cooled, iPhone world"
Old 10-08-2004, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You should check to see if the PO had the spacers installed when the car was lowered.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quincy,

The Porsche factory would not have installed a bump-steer kit. Indeed, most SCs with the ride height set for the street do not require one, ESPECIALLY if they have the turbo tie-rod upgrade.

It is a simple matter to determine if your car has one already installed. You must lift the front and support it (with jack stands) so you can get under it with a work light or flash light. (1) First check to see if those turbo tie rods connect DIRECTLY to the steering arms on your front struts, or if there is some sort of heim-joint extension between tie rod and steering arm. No extension = no bump-steer kit. (2) Next, viewing the steering rack from the rear, the rack itself should be lying flat down on the steel frame cross-member, held in position by two bolts whose heads protrude below the cross-member. Look for some sort of spacer(s) between the cross-member and the rack which would server to raise the entire steering rack between .5" and 1.25". No spacer(s) = no bump-steer kit.

We hope this helps.
Ed LoPresti
RacePro Engineering
Old 10-08-2004, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Ed is correct, euro ride height doesn't need a bump steer kit, so the factory never used one.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

That would be a little weird. Like intentionally designing a car wrong so you could put a band aid on later. Nope, as the other's have said, they designed these correctly from the start.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-08-2004, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies! I will check tomorrow and look for those spacers like ruf and Ed suggested.
This maybe a dumb follow up question, but are the steering racks different for the US and Euro cars? Pelican only has one type for the 74-89 I see. I've read in the other threads that cars lowered from US ride height should have the bump steer spacer kit installed. What has the factory done different as to not require the kit? Or do they mean the bump steer kit should be installed in US cars if lowered below Euro specs. If such the case, then I understand.

Thanks for helping me clarify my confusion.

Quincy

Last edited by qcwang; 10-08-2004 at 10:41 PM..
Old 10-08-2004, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

83 and on 911's were lower from the factory than earlier bumper cars.

Jerry Kroeger
1939 Ford Convertible Coupe
Old 10-09-2004, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quincy:

You may still have it wrong in your head....as long as the car is at Euro ride height, it doesn't need spacers, as others have said here. whether US spec or not...either type of car doen't need rack spacers if either is at Euro ride height. Also, either can benefit from a rack spacer kit if either is below Euro ride height.

There is only enough room to put about a 1/2" ( say 13 mm) thickness of spacer in-place before you run out of room. That means...ideally...you regain the bump steer characterisitics you had if you only lower beyond Euro this 1/2" amount. Most, however, lower 1" or more below Euro, so the rack spacer can only regain a *portion* of the goodness when this is done to this extra amount of lowering.

Ed ...I'm confused on two things you say:
- you mention rack spacers of up to 1.25". How is that posible when you are limited to about 1/2" of space?
- your #1 note relates having turbo tie rods ( or not) with having rack spacers. How do you figure? Turbo tie rods..or not...have nothing to do with vertical displacement of the rack.

Wil

EDIT:
Ed..OH....I see .
You're talking about an ERP kit at the tie-rod END of the rod, to allow fine tuning of bump steer...independent of whether the rack itself is kept in place or raised. Good point. But can't the ERP kit work with the standard tie rods, that have the rubber U-joint at the rack end? Also, yes....this type of device can operate under a 1.25" or so range....if that's what you meant.

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 10-09-2004 at 05:50 AM..
Old 10-09-2004, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wil Ferch
Quincy:

You may still have it wrong in your head....as long as the car is at Euro ride height, it doesn't need spacers, as others have said here. whether US spec or not...either type of car doen't need rack spacers if either is at Euro ride height. Also, either can benefit from a rack spacer kit if either is below Euro ride height.

Ahhh...... now I understand. Thank you Wil!! Since I won't be lowering any further, I will not need the kit. Perfect! Question answered. You guys are great!!

1,000,000-1=999,999 things left wrong in my head!
Are there this many Pelican Heads out there to help me out?

Quincy

Old 10-09-2004, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: