Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How To Bleed or Adjust G50 Clutch?

The clutch pedal in my '88 Cab (with now 152K miles on it), seems to be getting lower or the amount of free play is increasing. I don't think the G50's clutch is adjustable, but has a master and slave cylinder setup, right? So it likely needs to be bled, eh?

What are the steps to bleed it? Does it just take brake fluid? No procedure for this is in my 101 Projects book and I don't have a shop manual. Guess I'll check my Haynes book. Maybe the cylinders have to be replaced after 152k miles? The clutch is fairly recent with only 20K miles on it and it had the fork upgrade done.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Steve,

I just bled my slave on my '90. However, I'm not sure if it's the same as your '88. I just took the same steps as bleeding my brakes since it does use the same resevoir (sp?) on mine. Make sure to clamp the overflow line. I use a power bleeder for the brakes and it worked for my clutch as well. Since you mentioned your pedal is getting lower, maybe it's time for a new clutch/pressure plate? I also had the tranny/engine slightly dropped to access the slave. It's easier that way but I was putting the engine back in so it may be possible without a partial drop.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The easiest way to bleed is with a power bleeder. The next is with a vacume bleeder. I think it is nearly imposible to do without one of the above. It is brake fluid in the same resivoir. If you vacume bleed make sure to keep the fluid up. It is very easy to suck air.

Dean
Old 10-28-2004, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
There is a section on clutch slave bleeding in Bentley's manual; use a power bleeder on your MC and there should be a bleed screw on the clutch slave cylinder itself. Attach a plastic/rubber hose to the bleed screw, open it up and let it drain out the old stuff.
2008 Honda Accord
2008 Ford Ranger
Old 10-28-2004, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks. Where is the clutch slave cylinder located?
Old 10-28-2004, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 73ess
Where is the clutch slave cylinder located?

It's on top of the transmission. Jack the rear of your car up and remove the rear driver wheel and you'll see it. Use a long section of rubber hose and bleed it using a pressure bleeder just like you'd do the brakes. It's a bit of a contortion act to get your arm up to it but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad. The bleed screw takes a smaller wrench than the brakes - maybe 8mm.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks zzwhm. So should the clutch slave cylinder be bled everytime the brakes are bled? If so, what's the order? Passenger side rear caliper, clutch slave cylinder, drivers side rear, passenger side front and finally the drivers side front?

Steve
Old 11-13-2004, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
I think you should be able to bleed the brakes then blead the clutch; and yes I would blead the clutch when I do the brakes(they feed off the same resivior). Order could be passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front, clutch. Anybody else have a better order?
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 11-13-2004, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

does anyone have a picture of the slavecylinder maybe ? I took my driverswheel off but i don,t know where to look.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The slave is on the opposite side from the starter up top.

Dean
Old 11-15-2004, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

The slave cylinder will be way under the car on the transmission, and will be the only thing on the transmission with a hydraulic line running to it.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-15-2004, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If you're still having a problem the clutch slave cyl. is on TOP of the transmission accessed from the drivers underside of the car. It helps to have long skinny arms. As curiousone940 said, the Bentley Manual describes this task well. Personally, I do the brakes at least once a year and the clutch every other time.

Don't forget, if you use the pressure bleeder method (which I use) make sure you pinch closed the overflow tube at the master cyl. otherwise all your new fluid will spit out underneath your car, (DAMHIK).

Bill W.
'88 911 Cab Red/Blk (sold)
Old 11-15-2004, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Tnx Guys i have the bentley aswell so with your tips and the bentley i should be able to find it. Will try to take pictures and post them here.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks Peter (aka MartiniRacer). I'd really like to see some photos of the slave cylinder.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
There are photos on www.p-car.com, though for a 993. It's the same on a Carrera. I did it many times on both my Carrera and 993. I don't know why everyone says you have to remove a wheel for this. I never had to.
'83 SC
'87 Carrera
Old 11-15-2004, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Good advice from everyone here. Only thing I can add is to make sure not to open the bleeder screw too far when purging the fluid. If you open it too far, the fluid sneaks past the threads and brake fluid leaks onto the top of the trans.

I guess taking the wheel off is helpful to get a look at where the slave cyl. is located. Other than that, Rick is right- the wheel doesn't necessarily have to come off.

Be sure to pump the pedal a number of times while bleeding. Helps to move any stubborn air bubbles out of the system.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 11-15-2004, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Be careful. The fluid pickup point for the clutch in the brake resevoir is much higher than that of the brake's. If you let the brake fluid resevoir level get too low (about 1/4 left), you will put air into the clutch system.

The clutch pedal will fall to the floor!!!

---
anthony
Old 11-15-2004, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
As a tip, put a closed end wrench on the bleed nipple first, then connect the hose.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: