Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Time for new shocks?

Every time I need to remove the drivers side rear wheel, I just jack up the drivers side. After I let the jack down the drivers side of the car is always higer. I have to stand on the door threshold and use my weight to get it close to level again. It always take a little driving to get it all the way level again. Does his mean my shocks are shot? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Your rear shocks will let you know when it's time i.e., sponginess in the rear, an occasional clunk from the rear, unstable when cornering etc.

It's been my experience that front shocks will last much much longer than the rears. I do not know anyone that replaced their fronts because of failure. Many folks replace front shocks because of a want for enhanced performance.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Fellow Pelican KurtV and I spent last Saturday replacing my rear torsion bar bushings on my '84 coupe (ok, so I was Kurt's toolboy). You'll probably want to check yours as well - mine were toast. I went with the Neatrix.

I was wondering about my rear shock condition, but it always did fine on the old bounce/rebound test. Part of the bushing job was to remove the lower shock bolt, so while I was under the car and the shock was disconnected, I tried to compress it - yep, right on up with about 5 lbs of force, then, it stayed up, no rebound!

I can't be sure, but they're probably original, and I have 154K miles. The PO did have records of recently redoing the fronts, so I'm replacing the rears and after driving Kurt's '86, I am looking forward to the difference.

By the way, Kurt generously offered up his shop, his entire Saturday and a lot of hard work. We'd never met or even spoken, only email and messages here. This board is awesome - I don't know where I'd be without all of you as a resource. I bought my first 911 in July and it's been invaluable.

I guess I'd say "Pelican ist ausgezeichnet!"

Craig
Old 11-23-2004, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Ok. Thanks guys. The bounce test is fine, cornering is excellent. Guess I'll need to look at something else for my "next" project!
Old 11-24-2004, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Oh, it was just a "project." You needed to justify to the House Ways and Means Committee (aka "the wife") the purchase of more stuff for the German Mistress? In that case, your shocks are clearly unusably bad. The handling is unsafe, and could cause unstability and unpredictability, resulting in catastrophic consequences. It's essential that you spend $800 per corner on remote reservoir independently adjustable Fox Racing Shocks in order to regain some semblance of drivability at this point.

Actually, if you're looking for more projects, an '84 probably has a few winners. Have you done the rust hunt yet? Rocker panels, fenders, back seat and rear ledge area? Pick the car up and search for spots where the undercoating has been scraped off?

Have fun,

Dan
Old 11-24-2004, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Dan,

Gotcha on your first point. I thougt I was the only one that thought like that!

On your second point. There are a few areas of rust I should probally address. I think I'll start a new thread.

-Mike
Old 11-24-2004, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
I thought the old "bounce the corner of the car to test the shocks" wasn't applicable on the 911 because of the torsion bars?
www.ford.com
Old 11-24-2004, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The bounce test didn't work on my 87. One of the rears were toast, after I took it off and compared it to the new one. They are inexpensive and easy to replace, Why Not?
00 GMC Sierra
Old 11-24-2004, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
I replaced my rear shocks when I did the partial engine drop this past summer. It was easy and the shocks appeared to be the original Boges and compressed easily with my hands, so I guess they needed to be replaced! The car rides noticeably better and a little higher in the rear. I put Bilstein's in the rear and I'm installing Boge strut cartridges in the rear this winter.
www.ford.com
Old 11-24-2004, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I think my shocks might be shot also. I dont know if they are the orginal but they could be as the are certainly KONI's.

I dont like the way the way the car brakes during heavy braking or cornering. In heavy braking the tail is very easy to sway and find its own direction.

I know these are standard traits, but I think mine may be a little more tail happy than most.

Any thoughts on what I should check before spending money?

1976, 911 ROW
no mods

previous car
Mercedes 280CE 1979.

Other car

2004 Peugeot 307
Wife's & Family Truckster
Old 11-24-2004, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
R.O.C.S. Auto Inc.

Next time you lower the car off the jack... instead of jumping on the rocker, roll it forward a few feet & backward a few feet. This will bring your suspension back into geometry and to its correct standing height!
Old 11-24-2004, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
R.O.C.S. Auto Inc.

Andrew,
Check or have your brakes checked, you may not have even braking. You could have a partially colapsed brake hose, a sticky calipe, dirt lodged in the braking system etc.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Buy them, sell them

Garage
Even if you think they're doing a good job, a fresh set of shocks will do wonders.

I recently replaced my original-fitment 1976 Boges with Koni reds and the difference was staggering. I really should have replaced them years ago!
2012 Mercedes-Benz C250 AMG
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Old 11-24-2004, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
R.O.C.S. Auto Inc.

You have to drive a torsion-bar 911 to get the suspension to fully settle -- wheeling it back and forth won't do much (I experimented with various techniques when corner balancing my car). Or, put your full body weight on each bumper and bounce yourself up and down about 15 times.

The fact that driving the car will obviously settle the suspension is a no brainer, I think Augezeichnet is aware of that. In fact any car you roll back & forth won't fully settle untill driving load is distributed but it will straighten the geometry enough as not to sit with the susp crooked if you're leaving the car stationary after lowering it from the jack. As for
bouncing on the bumpers you can't allways do... If you have an rs clone for instance with fiberglass bumpers you can kiss them goodbye rather easily, even the early factory 911 bumpers don't really apreciate being bounced up on. If anything, pop the lids open and bounce it on the closing aprons. My personal rule and just my .02 is you never exert force on body panels or bumpers for that mater.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Mike, if you have an '84 and the shocks are original then by all means replace them. I did the bounce test on my '88 and the results were fine, no bounce, I also had no weird handling. My car handled great, I had had the car up to 150 on I-10 and it felt solid until about 140 at which point it only felt a little light. I changed my shocks because I wanted an upgrade, but when I got the old shocks off I got quite a surprise. They were completely shot. Right on the shock it said "gas charged" but except for 1 of the 4 you could compress the shock easily and it would stay compressed. One of the rear shocks would actually compress under its own weight. Unless you know the shocks have been changed recently them you probably will benefit from some new shocks as a project.

Yes, when you jack up nearly any car with independent suspension the car will not sit normally when you drop it back down until you drive it.

By all means, check your shocks. You don't even have to replace them, but jack up the car, remove the rear lower bolts, and see if they are easy to compress. That way you can test to see, at least, if they are really bad or not.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-25-2004, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Diss Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ausgezeichnet
Ok. Thanks guys. The bounce test is fine, cornering is excellent. Guess I'll need to look at something else for my "next" project!
As you can see from all of the replies, the 'bounce test' won't tell you anything on these cars. If you completely removed a shock it would show up but that is a little extreme.

Putting a fresh set of Bilsteins on the back of it will make an amazing difference in how sure footed the car is. Iím fairly experienced with suspension setup and I have never seen a car that was this responsive to a shock change. If you are a more aggressive driver I would recommend a set of Bilstein Sports for the rear. If you aren't a 'thrash it till it submits' type look at the Bilstein HDs.

These cars are amazingly sensitive to rear shocks. What really surprises me is how insensitive they are to front shocks (struts). Hey, don't ignore the fronts but don't expect much from them, except a change in the way the ride feels.

Wayne
Old 11-25-2004, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I recently replaced the original Boges in my 87' with Bilstein HD's. The result was better handling and surprisingly, a better ride too. I chose HD's, as I was worried about installing Bilstein Sports in "twisty" Targa. The new shocks did raise the rear over 1", the fronts about 1/2". No big deal, since I had a lowering/alignment scheduled anyway.

The originals were still in pretty good shape but IMHO had no business being installed in a Carrera in the first place. At a $50k+ price tag in 1987, Bilsteins should have been standard equipment.

My Carrera rides and handles better than my 2004 Audi A4 and 2003 Audi Allroad. Pretty amazing for a 17 year old car, based on a 40 year old design!!

Last edited by rzepko6194; 11-25-2004 at 06:43 AM..
Old 11-25-2004, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Bilstein HD's it is! Might even be able to squeeze these in as Christmas gifts. Better than getting new a new shirt or socks
Old 11-25-2004, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: