Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Newly Rebuilt 911 – with Smoke and Oil!

I’ve been peppering this board with questions for a while now. The answers helped get me through the rebuild process on my ’74 911 and (during the last few weekends) helped me stabilize the idle so I could take my first few test drives. BTW, I fixed the idle with a combination of fuel injection additives and figuring out the correct way to set the timing and dwell.

However, after three short test drives, I still have (big?) problems.

1. Transmission oil leaking profusely, but only when the car is running (i.e., there is no oil on the garage floor after the car is turned off). It appears that it’s coming from the top of the transmission and leaking over the sides. What’s up there that could be leaking so much? Could it be caused by too much oil (i.e., is it overfilled)?

2. Something’s burning! After pulling into the garage, smoke pores out from underneath the engine. It smells like it could be the clutch (which is new). There is a centimeter or so of free play in the cable arm, and it seems to engage okay when I shift (I followed the guidelines in the 101 Book). Could the transmission oil (from 1, above) be leaking into the clutch housing? I worried about starting a fire.

3. I’ve got a loud exhaust leak on the passenger side that I’m hoping is not a broken head stud!!!. The sound is “phet, phet, phet” and it matches the RPM speed. I re-torqued the barrel nuts last weekend. I had to adjust the valves early because one was loose, so I torqued the heads while I was in there. None of the nuts came loose, or turned freely, so I assume that I’m okay (although a few made a nasty squeaking sound when I first turned them). I wasn’t able to reach the nuts on the extreme ends, because my 10mm socket tool didn’t work (I’ll order the correct tool this week). I’m getting paranoid at this point – if the barrel nuts have integrity, is it likely that it’s something besides a head leak?

My plan is to adjust the clutch again, open the transmission drain plug (to check the level), and re-check the torque on the head nuts. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Charley
Old 12-06-2004, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

As far as your exhaust leak goes, my car made that same sound after I did some work. It turned out that I did not tighten down a spark plug.....it was only threaded in by hand. When I tightened it down, the leak was gone and everything was ok.

Steve
Old 12-06-2004, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
if it is a 915 trani, have a look at the breather on the top, IF it got put in backwards it will spew oil everywhere when the car is moving, and nothing when the car is still but running.

Forget which way it points but I think it is toward the front, some one correct me if I am wrong, for sure if it is the source of the oil turn it 180 degrees and all wil be fine.

yes on number 2, if there is lots of oil it could be the oil burning, trani oil smells different than motor oil.

JIm

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Your tranny has a vent on top, too much gear oil, me thinks.

Any oil anywhere on the exhaust makes lots of smoke; good in the summer to abate the mesqutios.

And, if you had that much oil on your clutch to smoke, it wouldn't work worth a damn. Clean off the motor well, find the leaks after a very short drive.

Report back.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by addictionMS
if it is a 915 trani, have a look at the breather on the top, IF it got put in backwards it will spew oil everywhere when the car is moving, and nothing when the car is still but running.

Forget which way it points but I think it is toward the front,
ditto

and I've seen pics where the pre '77 is 45deg from foreward and '77+ is straight ahead.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 12-06-2004, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I filled the transmission from the top when it was out of the car and I didn’t realize the vent had an “off” position. At least that problem sounds like an easy fix.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

For a time, new engines are going to smoke. It's burning off all that solvent/lube residue.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
When you say "Filled the trans to the top" you mean to the edge of the filler plug on the side right? SHould be less than half full this way.

"Phet phet" sounds like maybe an exhaust gasket isn't working.... Did you make sure all your manifold flanges are flat?
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 12-07-2004, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

When the transmission was out, I removed the vent on top and filled it until oil ran out the side filler plug. Since then, I bought a plastic plump that screws on top of the Swepco container (to fill it from the side plug).

Regarding the exhaust manifolds, I didn’t check them. Is that something I can do visually? I was planning on pulling the heat exchanger this weekend to check if the gaskets are installed correctly (with the metal ring toward the head, correct?). I didn’t pay attention to the orientation when I initially installed it. I also read a thread where someone used an anti-seize compound on the gasket to improve the seal. Is that something that anyone can recommend?
Old 12-07-2004, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Charley

I also read a thread where someone used an anti-seize compound on the gasket to improve the seal. Is that something that anyone can recommend?
I always do it. It started years ago when we used non-copper sided gaskets and there was a lot of clean-up on removal. I never had a leak due to it, makes disassembly easier, and many times I'll use the same gasket again.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 12-07-2004, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Not to beat a dead horse, but is there a tradeoff between using anti-seize versus a high temp silicone gasket maker? If I have it right, the anti-size lubricant will make disassembly easier and preserve the gaskets. Will it also help plug the leaks, or is the silicone stuff better for this?
Old 12-07-2004, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I doubt any silicone product is going to stand up to exhaust flange/port temps. I could be wrong.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Charley
gasket maker?
I ran into the gasket maker that Cat recommends so I bought it for S&G. I think it was about $12 a tube. If anyone's interested I'll go find it.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 12-07-2004, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Me like track days

Are ya sure that wasn't a MM rebuild?
Oh wait, it wouldn't run and you'd find all used parts inside if it was.....
Old 12-07-2004, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Too much gear oil - I did that once. Made a James Bond smokescreen going down the highway (accidentally put in 9 quarts, but that's an embarrassing story for a rainy day).

Exhaust leak - check the exhaust studs to the heat exchangers. I forgot to tighten one of these just the other day. It reminded me with the phat-phat-phat noise...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series101 Projects for Your Porsche 911How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 • SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 12-07-2004, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I’m well armed now to tackle the problems this weekend.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: