Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Take a ride in a 911 ST during a rally...Nice

I'm researching more info on the 911 ST and ran into a great German site with pics and a couple videos of their 2.5 liter ST

Hang on and watch this short clip.
Cant beat that sound.
http://www.plavanracing.com/media/911STrallymovie.wmv

911ST Race Car/2.5L SS Race Motor #02
1972 911T- Numbers matching- Restoring to stock
2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk/Carbon Fiber Buckets/6-Speed (Sold)
2016 Elan NP01 Prototype racecar- Chassis #20, #02
Old 12-15-2004, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Vintage911Racer
Great Video Chad... I want to seemore of it...

Hey, dont go building your car to ST specs yet.... Nothing has been Ok'd by the board... or the group for that matter. We are going to have ameeting soon to discuss this whole issue.
Powered by Faragallah!
www.scottassociatesracing.com
Old 12-15-2004, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Balls of solid steel with armor plate.
Geez.

Tom
R Gruppe #111
Early S Registry #235
res ipsa loquitur
Old 12-15-2004, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I was not going to spend any money until I know for sure.
How is it going to be discussed? What is to be discussed? Maybe a RS/ST class? The way things get done with VARA are super slow, so I am not holding my breath. Plus I'm sure all the Datsun guys will start crying again

Last edited by Plavan; 12-15-2004 at 09:41 PM..
Old 12-15-2004, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
...is my Daughter

Wow....I'm planning to build an ST on a clean rust free chassis that I bought from Bruce Anderson. That video has me inspired now. Can you share any good links/sites that you've found on the ST?

Felmir Singson RGruppe #479
"Living the rest of my life, one minute at a time"
Old 12-15-2004, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
www.stemming.de . It's in German, but alot of good pictures
Old 12-15-2004, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The www.stemming.de link doesn't work.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 12-16-2004, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Plavan, did you see the pics I posted in the other thread?

John, try this one. These are all the videos. There are some new ones since 2 weeks ago when I was last there.

http://www.stimming.de/video.html#videos

If you click on the Gallery you will find TONS of pictures of there two STs. One silver and one orange. There is even a blue one at times.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 12-16-2004, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by sithot
Balls of solid steel with armor plate.
Geez.

Tom
ugh... yeah!.. the site said it was Walter Rohl behind the wheel.. so I think that says it all. ahahaha

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".
Old 12-16-2004, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jpnovak

http://www.stimming.de/video.html#videos

Sweet. Glorious sounds!

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 12-16-2004, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Wow! Short but sweet. Sounds like he lost all rear wheel traction on the 2nd (last) turn and overrevved twice. No limited slip or what would do that?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Could it be a high revving, high HP 2.5, lightweight on wet roads?

yes, very cool indeed.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
That Stimming site is great! The galleries are definately worth looking at. I've been looking at the mustard and orange ST restoration pics.

What's that box where the horns would go?

What's that box in the passenger footwell? Look at how clean that chassis is!

Nice door pull. Eliminates all the weight of the linkage inside the door couldn't be lighter or simpler.

This would look real nice next to one of those R lamp assemblies. When is PP gonna start selling these?
'76 911S 3.0 RIP
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/BanjoMike
Old 12-16-2004, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Be sure to download the sound files too. They are definitely worth it!

"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 12-16-2004, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
When is PP gonna start selling these?
I bet you that you could find that mesh stuff at your local Home Depot. Paint it black and hold it on with some screws and washers and you're good to go!

Since these guys live in Germany, they've long since gotten over the idea that the only things worthy of being bolted on to a 911 need to be manufactured by specially trained Swabian elves!

Old 12-16-2004, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Friends of Warren

Excuse my ignorance... What does ST stand for? What were the specs? Thanks

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 12-16-2004, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
What does an "ST" stand for? I donno!

What is an ST? The ST was the predicessor of the RSR and an intermediate step between the 911R and the Carrera RSR. It was produced (informally) by the factory from I believe late 1969 through 1972. Another way to describe it would be the factory race version of the 911S. Approximately 25 units were made, although the actual number is unclear since they were generally made by the competition department. Then engines were either 2.3 liter (a 2.2 with a 1 mm overbore and something on the order of 250+ HP) or a 2.5 (either a 2.4 with a 1 mm overbore or a 2.2 with an even bigger overbore) and about 275 HP. Here's some more information from Pelican's BBS on this model.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The ST actually stood for a T chassis with S mechanicals. Special lightweight sheetmetal was used. I have read that the T was lighter than the other models and that is why it was used to build the race cars. I have seen no weights to substantiate this.

The cars started in 1970 as a rally car and Grouppe B comptetition. this year the rules allowed for a 2" increase in wheel width. Therefore these cars had a 9" front and rear flare. These cars were later used as development for the RSR in 73. The later STs had flares that look very similar to the RSR 11" flare.

Here are some more links.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=991254&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending.

A good grouping of pictres are here.

Looking for 911 S/T pictures... Please Post if you have any.

Last edited by jpnovak; 12-16-2004 at 09:34 AM..
Old 12-16-2004, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The ST actually stood for a T chassis with S mechanicals. Special lightweight sheetmetal was used. I have read that the T was lighter than the other models and that is why it was used to build the race cars. I have seen no weights to substantiate this.
You know Jamie; I've read/heard those words a number of times and I've generally interpreted them differently then I think most people have. I'm not deying that some of the ST's were built with thinner gauge roofs, rear side panels and set pan and side panels (from Barth's "Porsche Book", 2nd edition, Published in 1978 and 1983 which is one of the earliest books that I know of that discusses the ST as such). I don't think that the implication is that the 911T used lighter weight panels then the S. But rather that the 911T chassis as assembled or more likely, that the FIA weight assigned to the 911T chassis was less then that assigned to the 911S.

Starkey's book describes the T/R in addition to the ST. The T/R being a T built with S mechanicals for Rally use. He then goes on to describe the ST and mentions that the rally version of the ST used what is essentially a 2.2S engine with a 1 mm overbore and skimmed heads.

Basically, one interpretation of those words suggest that the T chassis used lighter panels, while another suggests that the T chassis (assembly) was lighter and used to gain an advantage within the rules.

JPachard I believe would disagree with my conclusions and may have measured some panels to support his view.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I agree John, I guess my typing wasn't clear. Some of the cars were built with thinner panels. The T was used because the overall package was lighter. Presumably due to lack of power windows, sunroofs and other Luxury items used on the more expensive models.

The T/R seems to have less information. Weren't some of them based on a 68 SWB chassis? I think Autofarm was selling one as a 68 last year.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: