Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Question Torsion Bars / Rear spring plates???

I am trying to change my rear spring plates to the sway-away adjustable spring plates.

Is there any trick to removing the old spring plates from the stock torsion bars? Is there some kind of puller I need to use.

If I have no luck and cut it off and go ahead and purchase new rear torsion bars, what size is best to use without affecting the handling? My front torsion bars are stock size.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had to cut my torsion bars in half to remove them because they had rusted to the plates, my grinder and a cut off wheel did the trick. What are your intentions for ride characteristics? Is gonna be tracked or strictly street? Larger bars and adjustable plates are great but should complement your suspension. What about your sway bars, your shocks/struts, using poly-bronze bushings, camber plates and so forth? I'm doing major work to my '71T and going thru all this now. I went with a complete suspension upgrade and I do mean complete. So 1st determine what the car is gonna be used for, how much do you want to spend and plan on using larger bars with other upgrades for best results. Just my .02 worth, but I did a lot of homework before I jumped in, it is expensive but well worth it so I didn't spend money to achieve an unfavorable result.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Kantry Member

I just used a 2-armed puller. lots of liquid wrench and a bit of patience.
Les
Old 12-20-2004, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

When I have a torsion bar stuck in the plate I just drill a 3/16" hole in the end of the torsion bar cover and use a hammer and punch to drive the bar out.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Smile

Thank You for the responses

My car will mainly used for street use, possibly once or twice to the track or autoX.

I was not planning on doing a full suspension mod.

I was just going to lower the car and place poly sway bar bushings.

PS: If it is really stuck and only choice is to cut it off and get new torsion bars, which size bar is best to buy that closest to stock set-up? the reason is my front is completely stock.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
i believe the stock is 22mm. the next size stock bar would be from an SC at 24mm. you should be able to pick up a pair of good used bars for $50 or less. i used the same method as Kurt and replaced mine with rear SC Tbars and stock 18.8mm up front.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Used User

I think it's 23mm. I have some stock ones if you're interested. Email me.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
memory is failing me as i did the entire susp at once, the sway-away spring plate bushings may need to be lathed. i might be confusing having my front poly a-arm bushings lathed. i would also find out if chuck moreland makes the spring plate bushings. also a good time to replace the 4 rear sway bar bushings as well as the trailing arm bushings.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
i clamped vise grips to the torsion bar right at the spring plate and using as flat bar pried the t-bar from the spring plate. lots of liquid wrench! since you will be swaping out spring plates, kurts method above is good too. i reused my spring plate so i did not want to drill the spring plate dust cover.

i too have a set of stock SC 18 and 24 MM t-bars here in the bay area. as mentioned above $50 takes all four. they came off a car w/ 75K miles. PM or email if interested, i am in sunnyvale.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

What is the stock size front t-bar from my 1971 911T?

Worst case scenario I may have to pick those t-bars for $50.00, if I end up cutting my stock t-bars.

I will keep you posted.

Bob,
Those red bushings that came with the sway away, do they fit properly or do i have to shave them down?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
yeah - the visual is coming back to me now. i did have them lathed cause they were extremely tight!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

How much did have them lathe down?

where did you have them done?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

devalued member

Garage
here is your stock sized bars

http://pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_torsion_bars/911_torsion_bars.htm
Old 12-20-2004, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
How much clearance do you want to create when you "lathe"? Don't you want the moving interface to be between the spring plate and bushing and not the bushing and frame.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: