Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Personal Car Specific Manual

Personal Car Specific Manual

How about everyone have their own personal, car specific, combination workshop manual, parts manual, MFI instructions, service info, clips from relevant posts, and photocopies of relevant parts of commercial books. It should be in digital form with a current paper printout. You can also include photos, invoices, etc. to have a scrapbook.

Of course everyone will do this differently but my choice would be to follow the order of the workshop or parts manual. Included should be:

1) The title history of the 911 starting with the MSO and (hopefully) continuous to the current registration.

2) The service history including all the repair and parts invoices.

3) The relevant parts of the workshop, service info, and parts manuals that are uniquely specific to your 911.

4) A photographic history & scrapbook.

What else?

I would guess that having this kind of detailed documentation will significantly increase the future value of the 911 and be very useful. It is a history, documentary, and learning tool.

I have one of these for the 914-6 CP/GT2 race car that includes three SCCA log books back to 1971. It is a literal cut & paste parts illustrations with hand written numbers and notes.
I think I’ll start one for the old 911.

Best,
Grady
Old 12-25-2004, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Sounds pretty cool. I'll have to buy one of your cars some day.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-25-2004, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

bump - Grady showed me his manual for a 914-6 he owns and it is awesome. parts diagrams with certain parts circled, notes as to what was used and why, a neat photo of all the special RSR-type parts that went into the engine. This is a fabulous idea.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have something similar for all of my vehicles. I have divided up into 1)ownership history and such 2) A MS Excel spreadsheet with a quick breakdown of any work done on the car including date, work performed, mileage, cost and shop or parts origination. 3) Actual receipts and service records 4) Model history including recalls and articles on model 5)picture archive of actual vehicle.

Don't know why I waste my time with it, but it keeps it all together.

brian
Old 02-14-2005, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
That is a fantastic idea.
People should care about their records on a very organized way.

I think people will "cry" in the future for not doing this...
Not to speak about the added value to the cars...
911 T 1968 - waiting for better days
911 T 2.4 1972 SOLD
Old 07-14-2011, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

It also gives you something to do in the winter.

Great idea, Grady. I do something like this now, but all the paper sure does add up quick. I'm a records type of guy. I like paper: receipts, invoices and such. I suspect perhaps this year after the snow flies, I'll try to scan a lot of the stuff and organize it in a .PDF with hyperlinks to other files (excel files, scans of invoices/receipts, related pages from the shop manual, car pics and videos, etc. In electronic form on a CD or DVD it is much easier to store and carry around. Hell, in the right format, you could sort through it and watch it on TV. It's certainly a nice addition to the hard paper copy in the closet that fills a large binder.

Don't get rid of the paper copies, though - you don't need anything but light to read the analog version.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.

Last edited by Canada Kev; 07-14-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Alex, Kevin (& others),

When I get home from Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and other nearby adventures I’ll add more ideas.
The basics are neither electronic storage nor paper fully fulfill the requirements.
I think the ‘art’ is the right balance.

Few current owners seem to appreciate the value (in future sale-ability and price) of a fully documented 911.
Imagine the difference between one with provenance from the original owner compared to a ‘mystery’ 911 with questionable history.
It is worth the research effort.

The other part is the care, service, repair, and modifications along the way.
The simple process of researching and documenting our 911s can greatly increase the enjoyment and ease of repair.

More to come.

Best,
Grady
(From someone’s satellite connection in a spectacular world of no cell, internet or TV connections. Life is good.
I have run across many pelicans: most feathered but one a pharmacist & car enthusiast from Berlin.)
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 07-14-2011, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Alex, Kevin (& others),

When I get home from Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and other nearby adventures I’ll add more ideas.
The basics are neither electronic storage nor paper fully fulfill the requirements.
I think the ‘art’ is the right balance.

Few current owners seem to appreciate the value (in future sale-ability and price) of a fully documented 911.
Imagine the difference between one with provenance from the original owner compared to a ‘mystery’ 911 with questionable history.
It is worth the research effort.

The other part is the care, service, repair, and modifications along the way.
The simple process of researching and documenting our 911s can greatly increase the enjoyment and ease of repair.

More to come.

Best,
Grady
(From someone’s satellite connection in a spectacular world of no cell, internet or TV connections. Life is good.
I have run across many pelicans: most feathered but one a pharmacist & car enthusiast from Berlin.)
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: