Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Why can't Porsche produce a...

Why can't Porsche produce a lighter, basic 911 devoid of all the options and accessories that costs less than the Carrera and Carrera S? I have just been wondering this lately. My guess is its purely marketing, they wouldn't want to have a version of the 911 that has a little higher performance than the standard cars, but costs less, even if it doesn't have all the niceties. Or am I just crazy? Not that I could afford it anyway, but if cars like the Elise can sell, and Subaru can sell the STi with no radio, why not a basic 911 priced somewhere between the Boxster and the Carrera?

Flame suit on and braced for impact.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The Boxster coupe (what they're calling the C7S) should fit the bill on most counts. It will weigh less than a standard Boxster, which should be ~2500 lbs, and it is supposed to have a 3.4 liter, 300 HP engine. Also, it will be mid-engined like the Boxster. Rumors suggest that Porsche will build a ClubSport C7S with more power and less weight. The price is supposed to be above a Boxster S but below a base 911.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Porsche is very profitable as is. The bottom line is .....the bottom line.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Based on Autocar magazine's article the upcoming C7S looks very promising indeed! A real drivers' car for a change. You can find the article here: http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=260983

Also some interesting options like PASM and DSG will be available! I can't wait have one... (in 5-10 years when I might be able to afford a used one )
Old 01-19-2005, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

ok, based on the pictures from that link jannek posted, what does everyone think of the new C7S? i'm still in the air after looking at it, i like it, but there are some things the i might have to get adjusted to, i like the idea of the sloping back window though...
Old 01-19-2005, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

best response from the chat board "OMG--a Boxster for men"
Old 01-19-2005, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

I think they do, it's called the Carrera GT3 RS or the GT3, but it's not cheap. Of course, the reason that it's not cheap is easy to see, it's all supply and demand. There's a limited supply since they are limited production, and there's plenty of demand. Not as much demand as for a regular version definitely, and many of the kind of people here who want one can't or wouldn't afford one if it was produced. Besides that, there is the fact that these types of car use several limited production parts to make them more adjustable, more high performance, etc... and since there are fewer of those parts produced and fewer cars to use them the cost of those parts is higher, so the production cost of the car itself is higher than the regular models. Then there's also the fact that it's harder to just strip parts off of a regular model these days. Most of the lightweight performance models have to use more expensive materials and processes to get lighter. Remember, if they just strip things out they usually end up with cars that aren't eligible for sale in the US like happened with the old GT3 and GT2.

Not to mention they have to watch their model heirerarchy (sp). They couldn't make a $30k car that handled and performed more like the Carrera GT or they'd stop selling boxsters and 911's.

Yep, it'd be great, but I couldn't afford one anyway.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-19-2005, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cactusdtd
For men over 6' hopefully (i am 6'2"). While the Boxster is oK with the top down, I can't get fit with the soft or hard tops up.

'87 Targa
Old 01-19-2005, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by biosurfer1
ok, based on the pictures from that link jannek posted, what does everyone think of the new C7S? i'm still in the air after looking at it, i like it, but there are some things the i might have to get adjusted to, i like the idea of the sloping back window though...
Wow, that thing is beautiful. Anyone have an idea on pricing? Although giving up my 88 cab is not an option. Can you say company car.
No one would ever know, or I'd get fired very fast!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by masraum
I think they do, it's called the Carrera GT3 RS or the GT3, but it's not cheap.
I guess that is my point. The GT3 is a completely different beast, titanium rods and all. What I am talking about is a 911 with reduced electronic stuff, manual fixed seats, no back seats, etc.
Quote:
Then there's also the fact that it's harder to just strip parts off of a regular model these days. Most of the lightweight performance models have to use more expensive materials and processes to get lighter.
That thought did cross my mind and may be a major reason why we don't see this type of thing anymore.
As far as the C7S goes, it sounds like a great car, but I if I am going to put out big money for a Porsche, I want the engine behind the rear axle.
So it seems the "reasons" are that you really can't make a new 911 lighter by just removing stuff, thus making it cheaper. And there are probably only about 4 guys in the world that would want such a car, and could afford it.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Reading about the development of the boxster is very telling. Someone already said it's about "profit" they are right, the other related issue is "marketing".

Boxster: power steering, power brakes, power windows.............................all to capture the female market.

It would cost Porsche more to produce and offer two versions (one all power- one all manual) which affected base cost rarther than add-on's which are rich in profit.

I see one day China making everything, rest of the world doing the engineering.....................makes you want to die young or be born in a different era.
George, Architect
Old 01-19-2005, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
My dealer advised me that there will be a coupe version of the boxster later this year and a club sport model in 2006.

How accurate this information is i am not sure.

But he was in germany recently and is not teh sort of guy to BS.

Michael
Old 01-19-2005, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

I'd rather see someone build a quality 904, 906 or 910 replica with a mid-80's Carrera running gear.

For $50,000, you would get:
tube frame
fiberglass body
3.2/915
basic SC/Carrera suspension wtih 7x9x16s
minimalist interior
streetable, but meant for the track

Could you make a profit at $50K

What do you think the lowest you could go and still make a profit, if tooling and start-up costs are removed from the equation?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun 84 Targa
I'd rather see someone build a quality 904, 906 or 910 replica with a mid-80's Carrera running gear.
Chuck beck is importing some stuff from Argentia you may like. Plus there is a place in Texas doing a modification of a fiberglass 550 - making it into a 718 RSK/RS60.
George, Architect
Old 01-19-2005, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

C7S - "wow"

Wow, that thing is sweet. I personally would like a mid-mount to drive around in, but I really dislike the current boxster styling. If I could afford this I'd get it.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by s_wilwerding
The Boxster coupe (what they're calling the C7S) should fit the bill on most counts. It will weigh less than a standard Boxster, which should be ~2500 lbs, and it is supposed to have a 3.4 liter, 300 HP engine. Also, it will be mid-engined like the Boxster. Rumors suggest that Porsche will build a ClubSport C7S with more power and less weight. The price is supposed to be above a Boxster S but below a base 911.

..... if it only were a hard top coupe.

edit : clicked the link
2007 CRV

Last edited by Reg; 01-19-2005 at 02:58 PM..
Old 01-19-2005, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think im gonna like it but the jury is out until I see it in person.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
Old 01-19-2005, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: