Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Throw it on the ground!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmanpa View Post
I've used Leatherique on my BMW, Porsche and leather sofa. This stuff is incredible! Like Autobonrun says: 'it's all in the prep'!!!
+1 on the prep (see my last post in this thread on the results of shorcutting the prep work). Another satisfied Leatherique customer here. Thanks to Autobonrun for the inspiration!

Gonna give Leatherique a try this weekend
Happy Birthday to the Ground:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e4e2187156/andy-samberg-i-threw-it-on-the-ground
Old 11-23-2007, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

This will be my next project, David
67 912 (sold)
58 Karmann Ghia chopped top (traded for the 912)
Old 11-23-2007, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Auto, in looking at your writeup again, which carpet dye did you use?

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 11-23-2007, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Hi autobonrun,
Just wondering: Can I use the Dye on my vinyl parts?

My seat fronts in burgungy leather, but the sides and back look to be vinyl. These vinyl parts seemed to have been discolored by the black pipping getting "smeared" all over it by the sheepskins.

How to you verify the correct shade of color? Does the dye company get it exactly right??

Thanks, wickd89
-- 2005 Toyota Sienna (hers)
-- 1989 911 Carrera Cabriolet -SOLD
Old 11-23-2007, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Throw it on the ground!

I believe Autobonrun sourced his carpet dye here:

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/

And, Leatherique leather dye can be used on leather and vinyl. For vinyl, I would recommend application with an airbrush. I used the airbrush on my seat re-do.....very easy to adjust flow/application rate and absolutley no brush/wipe marks left behind.

From Leatherique's site:

"Original LRPLTD Formula Water Based Leather Dye. This is the dye you heard about in the 1960's but could not find. The one and only complex co-polymer formula that is imitated (but not equaled) by others. Leatherique Dye leaves your leather feeling supple and looking luxurious and new. Available in a handy brush formula for the do-it-yourselfer. Insist your maintenance shop uses Leatherique Dyes. Developed in 1963 for the Classic Car Market but perfect way to salvage an old leather item (saddle, tack, leather couch, leather brief case) that is irreplaceable. This dye will also provide outstanding results on vinyl."
Happy Birthday to the Ground:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e4e2187156/andy-samberg-i-threw-it-on-the-ground
Old 11-24-2007, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Now. How do we get the OEM code for our interior color?

I have an '89 -Burgundy interior.

thx..
-- 2005 Toyota Sienna (hers)
-- 1989 911 Carrera Cabriolet -SOLD
Old 11-24-2007, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_ranch View Post
Auto, in looking at your writeup again, which carpet dye did you use?
V8 and Wickd, Mark linked to the source I used to get carpet dye. For Cork interior carpet, the color code on my bottle is 918.

As to whether Leatherique gets the leather dye color correct, I would say yes, but the chances of getting the best match depend on sending in a sample swatch. There is usually some extra leather underneath the seat that you can cut. A 1" square is what I sent in. I would not just depend on the OEM number unless you're willing to live with differences that might exist.

From what I've seen, the new dye will be brighter regardless of how accurate the color is. For this reason, I would always dye the entire seat rather than just a single section. IMO.

Keeping the black piping will be a challenge, although I guess you could wipe off the dye from the piping then tape off around it once the dye is fully cured and touch up just the piping with black dye. That would be a very detailed exercise but I bet you could pull it off it you took your time.

Edit: I see Leatherworld has a color charts that apply to carpet and leather. The 918 on my bottle applies to OEM Cork interior. See this link. You should be able to look up the color code for your interior color here. However, I'm still a proponent of a swatch for the leather.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/AutoColorChart.aspx?make=Porsche
2013 BMW X3 35i
2003 BMW M5

Last edited by autobonrun; 11-25-2007 at 06:13 PM..
Old 11-25-2007, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Autibonrun: Great post and help. If I use an air brush, are there any preliminary steps to take before pouring the dye into the paint bowl on the air brush? Does it need to be mixed with anything first? Thanks for any assistance.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
I just spoke with a lady at Leathrique today about ordering my kit. I asked her about how much I would need for entire interior. After she told me which one to get, she also mentioned that becasue I was using an airbrush, I had to thin it down with water. I could almost swear she said 50%, but I am not even quoting myself on that one. Just give them a call. Very helpful over the phone...

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
Old 02-13-2008, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorsj View Post
Autibonrun: Great post and help. If I use an air brush, are there any preliminary steps to take before pouring the dye into the paint bowl on the air brush? Does it need to be mixed with anything first? Thanks for any assistance.

I didn't thin mine much at all. I used a brush initially, full strength then just used the air brush for the finish. My air brush came with three different sized nozzles. I selected one that could handle a thicker mixture. I only added maybe 1/4 or less water if I recall. As V8_ranch said, give Leatherique a call. I also tested the spray pattern by spraying some cardboard then adjusted the nozzle setting until I got a good even spray.

However, I'd try to use full strength if your air brush can spray it. The more water, the longer it will take to dry and the more likely it might run. Just run some test patterns before you spray your leather.

Good luck. I'm sure it will come out well.
2013 BMW X3 35i
2003 BMW M5
Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

What is the color code for the CORK leather dye from Leatherique?? I have some sport seats I would LOVE to do this to!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

I see it.. Thansk so very much for the info.....
Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Mckenna View Post
What is the color code for the CORK leather dye from Leatherique?? I have some sport seats I would LOVE to do this to!!!

If at all possible, I would send in a sample swatch from underneath the seat rather than just going by the code. This will give you the best chance for a perfect match.
2013 BMW X3 35i
2003 BMW M5
Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

first i have to say the seats look great and its cool that they're holding up.
but to me it looks like paint and not dye, not in the finished product but in the application.
is it some kind of liquid vinyl solution?
does it still look like leather? or vinyl?
is it scratch proof?
i used liquid vinyl product from jc whitney on some leather dining chair seat cushions about 6 years ago , it held up great but had a plastic-y look to it. of course it only cost $10 a bottle so you get what you pay for.
i have a cork leather package shelf i want to recolor black and wonder if this product would be better.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmog View Post
first i have to say the seats look great and its cool that they're holding up.
but to me it looks like paint and not dye, not in the finished product but in the application.
is it some kind of liquid vinyl solution?
does it still look like leather? or vinyl?
is it scratch proof?
i used liquid vinyl product from jc whitney on some leather dining chair seat cushions about 6 years ago , it held up great but had a plastic-y look to it. of course it only cost $10 a bottle so you get what you pay for.
i have a cork leather package shelf i want to recolor black and wonder if this product would be better.
During the application I guess it does look like a paint. At the end it just looks like leather to me. I guess the product is more like a thick stain than a paint if I had to try to describe it. It is not scratch proof, but neither is any factory leather. If the old dye is broken down correctly, the new dye will soak in and it doesn't scuff any easier than do stock seats, IMO. And you can always do a touchup every 3-4 years if you like.

As you say, you get what you pay for. It's not as perfect as factory leather, but again you're talking about $200 in supplies and your time versus $1200-$1400 for a factory leather kit and another $500 or so for installation. So you have to determine how perfect you want your seats, and do you want to spend $200 or $2000. For what I was willing to spend, this was my best option.

Other than seeing them in person, the close up photos on page 2 of this thread provide the best description I can provide of the end result. Bob, as far as the parcel shelf, I'm not sure. I've never tried Leatherique on vinyl. I'd speak to George at Leatherique and ask his opinion. Actually, I have some of the dye left and could test it for you if I can find a piece of vinyl around here.
2013 BMW X3 35i
2003 BMW M5

Last edited by autobonrun; 02-16-2008 at 09:49 AM..
Old 02-16-2008, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
I am getting ready to place my order. I spoke with the lady there at leathrique about my job and how much I should get to complete the seats, door panels, and other misc trim pieces... What was your real world experience as far as how much to order?

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
Old 02-16-2008, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

thanks for the follow up.
my package shelf is leather, that's why i'm curious.
but leather has a dull patina that changes with age.
my question is the finish glossy like vinyl or satin like leather.
with all the surface prep and sanding i figure it would be satin.
but i can't tell from the pictures.
i still think they look great and will probably use the product on my interior.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Got my redye kit in yesterday and getting ready to start this. Any more recommendations on which airbrushes do good job. I will be starting my prep work this weekend hopefully. I hope to have new dye on my "new" sport seats next weekend... Still trying to decide if it is worth it to do my carpets though, or just replace it.

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Going to try to get my seats started this weekend (finally). Just got the driver's seat back from upholsterer who repaired the bottom seat leather.

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWDP911 View Post
Going to try to get my seats started this weekend (finally). Just got the driver's seat back from upholsterer who repaired the bottom seat leather.
Good luck with the redye. It should turn our well. I can't believe it's been 5 years this month since I did this. The dye has held up very well. The first really nice day I plan to take the car off the lift and take some photos.
2013 BMW X3 35i
2003 BMW M5
Old 02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: