Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Economy RSR Fuchs finish ???

Is it possible to get a fair approximation of the RSR finish ( lightly frosted petals and lip) on an otherwise nearly perfect Fuchs from a mid 80's 3.2 Carrera ??

Meaning....with non-traditional methods like (for example) leaving the excellent black paint "as-is", carefully sanding the petals and rims, masking black background of the wheel...and painting the petals / rims with something like Wurth self-etching primer and a silver paint that approximates the frosted RSR look? I would accept the outer-most vertical rim portion to also be frosted...unlike a true RSR that has a slightly polished look in this area.

Before anyone jumps on me.....just asking about options. (Looks like Weidman or Reed would otherwise do a wonderful job, I know !)

- -Wil
Old 02-05-2005, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

just a guess, but I bet a hobby store would have some type of frosted paint. I am amazed at what's out there for hobbyests.

then you can put a matte poly over it, or POR15 clearcoat.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Perhaps media blast to get the texture, then a flat clear coat.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
i have thought about this as well. i am very tempted to scuff the petals and paint with a satin grey or flat grey. then steel wool or satin clear paint lips. i really think you could get a away with it with little effort and little $$$.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mark Wilson

The rear is one of my 16x8's that I painted the spokes with aluminum paint. The rimshell was still polished. (Shuie's car was the model)

Old 02-05-2005, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mark:

Any hints or details on specific paint...prep, etc.... ?

Also...any better close ups of that wheel?

Interesting....

Wil
Old 02-05-2005, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here are a couple of RSR wheels. One way would be to media blast them to give them a matte finish and them mask and paint the petals black and them coat the whole wheel with clearcoat.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Licensed User

The petals of Marks 16x8 looked really good in person. I'll see if I have some better pics of the wheel itself. You cant tell from that pic, but the 15x7 on the front of the car has Al Reeds version of the RSR rough anodized finish on it. The petals on Marks wheel were definitely more powdery (more silver than white) looking than the anodizing on my wheels.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mark Wilson

Thanks Sherman. The 8's looked great on your car!

Wil, I don't have any other pics right now and that set is packed away. They are a very rough test set, so I didn't spend a lot of time in prep. Mostly just scuffed the black paint, masked and shot. I just wanted to see what they would look like.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Wil,

I'm going to try a blasted metal surface on the steel wheels that I sell, then use black and clear powder on them (frosted rim with matte black centers).

The clear power on a blasted surface was tried on one of my customer's fan with good result. I want to try the two epoxy combo to see if the process is economically feasible. If it turns out well on the steel wheels, I will test with a Fuch rim. I know the steel blasted surface will not be exactly like a blasted alloy surface, but itll be close.

I believe it may be economical as the most time consuming part of refinishing the wheels is he polishing. I'm working on a process to make that cheaper, but right now, that's more than 1/2 my cost per wheel.

Last edited by MotoSook; 02-05-2005 at 06:39 PM..
Old 02-05-2005, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Souk and others....

good deal....keep us posted on further develpments and ideas....

Here's a question....can you "selectively" media or bead blast certain areas...and keep other areas as they "were"? I'm asking if the process is kinda like using an artists air brush, where you might have fine control over the area you're doing. If so, it seems you can retain the black background and "work" the petals and maybe the rim edges. Would thick tape covering the "protected" areas be enough "protection"? Or would the blasting cut through this protected area?

I'm really not familiar with the media blast process....

Wil

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 02-05-2005 at 06:42 PM..
Old 02-05-2005, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Bump..and another ( ! ) question...

If someone can comment on my last group of questions..that would be great. But then I wondered.....

If painting is part of the answer....say...like Shuie shows for one of his wheels....must the anodizing come off those areas that are painted? And are stock black spokes anodized underneath the OEM black paint ?? The question is valid since the RSR "frosted" look is not only on the petals/spokes, but on the inside rim surface that is normally anodized.

BTW....I'm comparing this to the stock Fuchs finish found on mid-80's Carrera's, that had totally black centers....

Wil
Old 02-06-2005, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Mark Wilson

Wil,
The black on the rear wheel on Shuie's car had been resprayed over the faded original black factory paint. I scuffed the original paint with a scothbrite and cleaned the area with TSP. Then did the same prep before masking and spraying the silver.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Okay, Mark....thanks....that shows how you prepped and painted those areas that "were" black....and also how you painted the silver spokes that once, I guess, were black too....

I guess I'm dense sometines.... ...My question goes further if you think about it for a moment...what about the inner rim surface that was originally anodized? Simply scotchbrite that area followed by TSP?.....with a final "frosted" silver paint coat? Last coat then maybe a matte clearcoat ?? Or do you need to remove the anodizing on the rimmed surface, which then makes this whole thing become more involved ??

I don't think you answered the part about the rims because in Shuei's case..those rim sections were left "polished". I'm trying to go full song on the RSR look !

Sorry for asking the "picky" details....want to get this right..

Wil

EDITED

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 02-06-2005 at 04:23 PM..
Old 02-06-2005, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Mark Wilson

If I were going down this road, I'd paint the rim half the same as the center. Prolly spray a quality self etching primer over the entire wheel save for the outside polished lip. Then work out from that. If you could find a way to bake the paint, it may make it that much more durable.

Keep in mind that one careless tirebuster could ruin your whole day.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Wil I am in the middle of a little experiment on this myself. So far I have found that pre-heating the wheel in my oven to around 200 or so and spraying while hot with VHT polyurethane aluminum paint seems to yeild the "pebbled" rough look. The warm wheel does not let the paint settle itself smooth before it dries. Only about hald way there so far, but will post pics when I am done if it works. Just trying to find a Matte finish clear which is proving very difficult.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2005, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to autoxracer31
To get the look of that for cheap, just buy some wheel cleaner from kragen that says DO NOT USE on polished wheels. I did this on accident without looking at the label, and whalla- no more polished look... My wheels look like they were painted silver and not ever polished! cost 5$

Old 02-06-2005, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Okay guys...thanks for engaging so far, but for some reason, I'm not getting through with my question...

Mark, yes.....I would need to paint the rim "half" ( the "ledge", as it were) the same as the spokes, leaving the "rim" ( portion closest to the tire sidewall and an "extension" of the sidewall) untouched. Which brings me back to this core issue:

- does one paint right over the anodized ( rim half) surface?
- can a combo of self etching primer and TSP work over this portion. If so..in what order?
- or does the anodizing have to be removed first...before such surface prep?

Others....note that I'm working with a mid 80's wheel in nearly perfect shape...I understand the black spokes can be scuffed and prepped before (silver) paint. The uncertainty is the remaining anodizing on the rim half.

Autoxracer....let me understand clearly....you did this on a "previously polished" rim or an OEM anodized finish ??

Wil

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 02-07-2005 at 06:41 AM..
Old 02-07-2005, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Wil, Here is a sand blasted finish I did for a friend. No paint, a coat of vaseline is the only protection. Sorry, its the best pic I could find.

It looks really cool in person. It would be easy to paint the background for an RSR look.

classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 02-07-2005, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Wil,

Sorry I can't quote the source, but, during manufacture the wheels were fully anodized then painted (which makes sense, it would be very difficult to anodize only a portion of a wheel). Painting over anodization is certainly an accepted practice in the manufacture of corrosion resistant aluminum products. Just FWI, after anodization (which has no inherent color, more of a texture) aluminum can be dyed (which is often part of the final "rinse" during the anodization process and, typically, gives it a "metallic" colored look) or painted (original Fuch's were actually dipped in paint). I don't know the proper "prep" before painting, but a call to any body shop should give you the answer.

Good luck,

Jerry M
'78 SC
Old 02-07-2005, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: