Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Another bushings and bearings guy...

Seems like as soon as I ordered new bushings and bearings, tons of threads started popping up about others starting the same project!

Any words of wisdom are apperciated, I'm a Virgin on this one...

Here's the start of my project...
Anybody know what kind of drop links these are by the way???

[img]
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads4/DSC013661108018438.jpg[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hello,

I'm doing nearly the same job, actually resetting the ride-height. I disasembled right spring plate today. My bushings doesn't look too good - think I'll have to order new ones and replace them. I'm following the pelican tech articles and a few howto's that I found on this board, and everything goes preety well.

Be careful when unscrewing spring plate from the trailing arm - I damaged camber bolt thread a little.

Good luck!

/Jack
Old 02-10-2005, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Good luck to you too !

I'm putting Neatrix on the spring plates and Weltmeister Sports on the trailing arms and front A-arms...

I'm following the tech articles (and prev. thread info) as well....

Just want to ask once more (to add to the hundreds of times others have asked..)

Is the NEATRIX bushing supposed to be glued to the spring arm??? The one page directions in the box don't say. They just say the old one was...

Somebody in a prev. post said they thought it would probably separate at some point after installation anyway....

My fear is that the NEXT time they are to be replaced, if it's not attached to the spring arm it might stay in the tube and become a B!$#H to get out....
Old 02-10-2005, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This has been my thought the last few days: Plastic front bushings squeak, and there is special grease for this. I'd bet that plain ol' silicon grease would do this. That stuff is the slipperiest stuff I know. I have the "street" hardness plastic bushings, which I think are superior to the really hard-hard plastic ones. Of course, there are the Elephant bronze thingies which are the cat's meow. I have yet to do rear bushings, but they really need it.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I saved this thread a while ago, looks like some good info buried in it.

Which bushings to replace?
George, Architect
Old 02-10-2005, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Richard, that's a nice looking car. What products did you buy? That would help us comment. I just finished this and have a few observations.

I'll check back later today.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Superman
Plastic front bushings squeak, and there is special grease for this. I'd bet that plain ol' silicon grease would do this.
How do you get it in there?

Do you have to take everything apart?

Please provide a link to a tech article or thread - I'm not sure what to look for. I'm thinking of trying a quick fix before committing to a complete rear axle drop in, which seems to be the best way to replace bearing & boot.
George, Architect
Old 02-10-2005, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
PMB Performance

Garage
I switched to 26mm Turbo t-bars on mine. I wrote an article on the task for our local PCA magazine. Let me know if you're interested.

Basically:

Put a jack under your control arm to take up the slack.
Remove the swing arm bolts.
Remove the cover plate bolts.
Remove the jack and scribe a swing arm line on the body (for replacement)
Remove the t-bar covers on the body.
Attempt to pull the cover plate off the t-bar.
Slide the t-bars out.

It can be a little more complicated than that but most books have decent proceedures laid out.
www.pmbperformance.com
Old 02-10-2005, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm also a member of the "replace your bushings" crew. I started a thread on freshening the front suspension, and it has plenty of pictures and steps up to complete disassembly and installation of the bushings. I currently have both sides off, but the a arms bind when I tighten them up, so I'm working on allowing completely free movement. I'll post the installation once I'm done.

Thar she blows for the front suspension renewal.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I'm doing the exact same job this week end. My order arrived from pelican last week after a quick trip across the big pond. One question though. I ordered the cheaper bushes, and i'm pretty sure there the polyurathane Weltmeister "race" bush. They have weltmeister cast into the side. Question is I thought neatrix and weltmeister bush was the same thing?

66 912 coupe
Old 02-10-2005, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Weltmeister evidently does make NEATRIX.
The instruction sheet enclosed is on Weltmeister letterhead for NEATRIX bushing installation.

So, the NEATRIX are going on the Spring arm.
(Plus, they came with a neat little curved scraping knife and a Weltmeister sticker!!! - so THAT'S, well - another sticker to put on something...)

I bought what was listed as Weltmeister racing bushings.
There's not really anything on the label that marks them as "sport" or "performance" as opposed to "stock" Weltmeister, and I wouldn't know the difference...

Front A-Arm
Stamped: Weltmeister 012 Front (x2)
& Weltmeister 012 Rear (x2)

Trailing Arm
Stamped: Weltmeister 008 (x4)

An 8oz "bucket"-o-grease PB-175 (not sure what type it really is)

SKF Bearings front & rear, with a big tube of Swepco grease...

I'm not planning on messing with the T-bars right now. So I'm hoping I don't have to mess with the rocker panel strips. I hope that's not a mistake on a 35 year old fiesty little gal...

I am planning to clean up the spring arms once I have them off, maybe re-plate them. Any suggestions??? Strip them down with a dremel steel brush and sand paper, or will this screw 'em up???

Gonna head out in a bit to start bustin nuts.... hopefully the cars...
Old 02-10-2005, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Richard,

Let me know if you want some help or moral supprt. I'm planning to do my car sometime this summer, so I would love to go to school on your project.

I'm in SE Centerville, so I'm not too far away.

If you need an extra jack or stands, give me a shout....

(Looks like it's going back up into the 40s this weekend.)
Old 02-10-2005, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Fuelie600..
Thanks!

I tried to PM you but it said you didn't want it....

PM me a phone number and I'll give you a call....
Old 02-10-2005, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Milt,
Thanks. Look forward to the input..

Didn't you post a photo on another thread or a "sport" muffler with megaphone (cookie cutter) exit tips???

I had saved it somewhere and meant to ask you about it, but I can't find it now...

If that's your's where did you get it and can I get one???

I LOVE the megaphone look, but I'm afraid of a negative performance effect with megs due to low back pressure.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I'll definetly be doing a search for these front suspension threads down the road, saving up for Chucks front poly-bronze after paying for track rims and tires. Trying to do this spring, if you have any thoughts of doing bigger t-bars, shocks or corner balance. DO MODS FIRST, ask how I know...
'95 993 C4 M030, SOLD
PCA San Diego
Old 02-10-2005, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rexav8r
Milt,
Thanks. Look forward to the input..

Didn't you post a photo on another thread or a "sport" muffler with megaphone (cookie cutter) exit tips???

I had saved it somewhere and meant to ask you about it, but I can't find it now...

If that's your's where did you get it and can I get one???

I LOVE the megaphone look, but I'm afraid of a negative performance effect with megs due to low back pressure.
OK, I'll get to the muffler thing either by starting a new thread, adding to Ben's "loud" thread, PM'ing you or all three.

AFA the bushing install, there is quite a bit of info on the front already. Tech articles here on Pelican (don't forget to check the 914 articles, same procedures) and tons in the archives.

The rear bushing install process info is lacking somewhat, Thom Fitzpatrick's web site notwithstanding.

And, here is a tidbit from Wil Ferch, posted just today: "for those using plastic bushings for the rear outboard locations...it is *vitally important* to radius the OD of the new bushings to conform as much as possible to the curvature of he inner surface of the "retainer" ( the piece surrounding the torsion bar with 4 bolts)...." Note, some of the bushings come this way.

What I add to all of this is use new bolts. 8.8 is sufficient and they torque to 34 ft. lbs.

To dimps8: The Neatrix and hard plastic urethane are NOT the same. The Neatrix attemps to simulate the non sound transfer properties of the factory rubber. Hard plastic is just that; it attemps to be a bearing.

Elephant Racing's polybronze eliminate all known problematic issues regarding bushing replacement. There is no better product for the price. That having been said, I used them on the front, but not the back for now. My rears will be OK until they start to squeak.

Last edited by Zeke; 02-10-2005 at 06:22 PM..
Old 02-10-2005, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Zeke. They had me a bit confused when the bushes turned up. I thought theres no way these things will deform like the rubber ones are meant to. I guess i'll put them in with plenty of lubricant and ensure the spring plate shaft is as smooth as possible so it can act as a bearing, not bind and hope it dosen't squeak. These poly ones feel very slippery compared to normal poly products. I think maybe their injected with some sort a graphite compound?

66 912 coupe
Old 02-10-2005, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

What color are they and where did they come from?

You brought up a good point that I failed to mention. It's in the instructions here and there, but it's that bit about roundness. Yes, the outer bushing retainer cannot be deformed. Everything has to be nice and round, no dents or flat spots. I used a drum sander inside my rear retainers and inside the fronts at each end. I watched as the bright metal appeared to see if there were any "high" spots and I focused on anything suspicious. Having a complete machine shop would be nice, but we all can't have everything.

My bushings slid in by only heavy hand pressure using the soapy water trick. If you want to trial fit things, lube up the outside of the bushings with silicone grease so you can remove them. You can wash the grease off with something like straight Simple Green before installing with soapy water. Once installed that way, they are hard to remove, especially once the water dries. That's the point of it.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
They are the shiney hard slippery black weltmeister ones from our host. From looking at the suspension workings, I believe the spring plate shaft will act as a bearing and rotate on the bush, and the roughness of the torsion bar housing will clamp the outside of the bush. I read somewhere the assembly should be fairly easy to rotate once it's all bolted up? I guess they start to squeak once the grease wears away, and with no provision to replace it unlike chucks of course.

66 912 coupe
Old 02-10-2005, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

It's posted in one ( or more) of the tech articles...but get the ID of the plastic bushings totally round to fit the shaft that they are placed upon. For the front....best would be to use the mounting clamps around the OD of the bushes and clamp down ( off the car)...and THEN ream/sand ( whatever) to get the ID of the bushing to the desired size. This step recognizes that the ID will CHANGE IN AN INSTALLED CONDITION...due to the "crush fit" of the mounting clamps on the OD. Squeeks, etc, are due to out-of-round conditions with hi/low spots that bind....

Extra work....but worth it if you don't go PolyBronze...

Wil
Old 02-18-2005, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: