Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

where to buy hinge shims?

I need some hinge shims to align my pass. side door. I couldn't find a Porsche part number and Pelicans couldn't either. The striker shims are listed but nothing for the door hinge side. Are the shims available anywhere or is it something I'll have to make myself? Thanks for any info.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
I think I had some on my 69, they were alum but I dont remember if I made them or if they were there? Anyhow most adjustment (gap) is done by bending the inner door where the hinge attaches, I used a large shot filled hammer and wack on it, if you need to go the other way there is a tool you can make to stretch it back out. Adjustment for up and down and in and out should be with the 3 bolt holes, as I remember? its been a few years and many beers since. Make sure your hinge pins have new bushings in them and not loose or your just fighting a loosing battle and it will never be rite. I did not end up using my shims, they really never worked right for me.

Craig

Last edited by cgarr; 02-23-2005 at 05:52 PM..
Old 02-23-2005, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had read where some members found brass or aluminum shims behind the door hinges that were used for adjustments. Bending and whacking the inner door seems alittle extreme for me, but I suppose the factory could have done it that way. Anybody else have experience with aligning the doors?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Pelican sells this puller for moving the hinge mount area out,Door Post Puller.
pulling/bending this area with a hammer seems extreme to me also but it might work the best who knows?
I would think John Walker or Series900 might know more on this subject. maybe they will weigh in on the best way to adjust door fit. I also sent you a PM of some other options.

_Tim
Old 02-24-2005, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Make your own. Its just three holes drilled in some Al flat sheet. You can buy different thicknesses to adjust them correctly. Yes, the factory used a drift to align the doors. Its common practice. Usually the hinge is bent, not the door frame.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts and suspension setups.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I looked in my 911 restoration guide and it specifies using the bolt holes for up/down, in/out and shims and/or bending the door post depending on direction. My car has aluminum shims.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies. I now have more options to explore. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the factory would hammer and bend the sheetmetal to fit. It just seems very extreme to me, but it adds to the handfitted nature of our cars.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

HI just a note for the part No' of the shims,

hinge shim No 90153139120

striker shim 1mm 90153170323, 2mm 90153170324,

any good ???? mike
Old 02-24-2005, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mike, thanks for looking up the part. I had found those same numbers after talking to Pelicans and the dealers. They could not tell me if the 90153139120 base plate was actually a shim or the other side of the door hinge. Have you purchased this item and it is a shim?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

HI that part No is the spacer shim for the door hinge, one size only, in ally
regards mike
Old 02-28-2005, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi Anyone has a template for making these hinge shims, please post

Last edited by Reuben911; 08-07-2019 at 03:10 AM..
Old 08-07-2019, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
FWIW, the door hinge shims I've found are hard ABS plastic. also, might want to post a WTB advert over on the Parts forum.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 08-07-2019, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Brew Master

Garage
I have a pile of them. PM me your address and I'll mail you some.

HOLD IT! I just looked in my shop and was only able to find one. I know I have a stack of them tied together. I'll do some looking and post back today if I find them. Gotta clean my shop up anyhow.

Reuben, I don't know how I'd get you one to south Africa reasonably but you're welcome to the one shim I found to use as a template. I have no use for it.

Last edited by cabmando; 08-07-2019 at 05:10 AM..
Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Door Shims

Hi Cabmando,

I guess it is small enough to photocopy to actual size and/or let me have the overall dimensions and spacing between the 3 holes should be good enough

Thanks for the offer
Old 08-07-2019, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via ICQ to AirJose
Reuben,

These aluminum shims come in different sizes. 1.5mm and 1.0mm comes to mind. I purchased some, months ago but I am not sure if they were Stoddard or Sierra Madre (hope I am not in trouble for mentioning competitors of Pelican) The door lock uses plastic.

Jose

Last edited by AirJose; 08-07-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Old 08-07-2019, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben911 View Post
Hi Cabmando,

I guess it is small enough to photocopy to actual size and/or let me have the overall dimensions and spacing between the 3 holes should be good enough

Thanks for the offer
I'll throw one in the scanner and make a copy of it. If you'd like me to email the scanned doc, PM me an email address and I'll have it to you this afternoon.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I just bought a bunch of new ones. If you want I can take pics with measurements? Feel free to send a PM if you want!

Old 08-07-2019, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: