Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help! Can't find bosch h4 adjustment screws

I've been looking everywhere on the net (and locally) for them. They seem impossible to find.....maybe I just stink at searching...

From my investigation, and handy ruler, they appear to be approximately:

Screw 1 (the longer screw): M3 (3mm diameter) x .5 (thread) x 120mm (length)

Screw 2 (the shorter screw): M3 (3mm diameter) x .5 (thread) x 65mm (length)

Also from investigation (a.k.a. hours of googling), I have found them to be known as "Phillips Oval Head Metric Machine Screws"

Anyway, I'm sure most of you know all this already, but do you know where I can possibly order me a couple of them.....mine are toast!

Wish Pelican had them They seem to carry the outer/inner ring screws.

Sigh....can anyone point me in the right direction!

Thanks!!
Juan

ps - closest thing I've found is a metric threaded rod measuring m3 x .5 x 3ft.....which would mean buy the rod, cut to size, and solder the phillips oval heads onto them.....not fun (nor feasable).
Old 02-23-2005, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Don't ask me to explain why I was in this same predicament several weeks ago....I could not find these screws and finally ended up "making" replacements. If you have a trim ring covering these screws (basically, a second trim ring), then it makes no difference if you have slotted or phillips heads on the screws (they're hidden from view). If you want the particulars on how I did this, I'll try to give you details..and they really, really work (all necessary parts available at your local Lowe's and/or hardware store).
2008 Honda Accord
2008 Ford Ranger
Old 02-24-2005, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for replying! I'd definitely be interested in your solution....I'm still shocked at the fact that these screws are soooooo hard to find....it's unbelievable.

Now, to answer your question.... I do have a ring where these screws go in through.....One screw goes in at the 2 o' clock position through this ring, the other is at about the 7 o' clock position. This ring is actually painted the same color as the car.

Interesting part is the phillips heads of the faulty adjustment screws were painted also, so I believe they sit outside. I don't have the second trim ring you speak of.

I'll keep searching and see what I come up with....but at this rate I may end up making replacements too.

Thanks,
Juan
Old 02-24-2005, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm looking for a set of these right now, too.

Anyone know where to find/purchase them?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Bump. Anyone have any luck finding these?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

try this guy
Audette Collection: The SWB 911 Light Resource | Concours Restoration of Porsche SWB 911 Headlamps & Turn Signals and H1's & H4's
Old 03-11-2015, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Try here.
Not sure if this is the correct screw

Buy Porsche 911 1965-1989 911 1974-83 Headlamp Parts & Lens | Design 911

Cheers
Bill
Old 03-12-2015, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Spiderman

Garage
https://www.belmetric.com/metric-screws-c-10.html
I don't believe they are listed but I would call this guy and ask him. He will sell these individually and you never know what people have but cannot list on a web-site. Just too many tiny items to deal with.
Red 08 Impreza, wifes car sold
Grey 05 CRV, now is the daughters solution
Old 03-12-2015, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I had the same issue a while back and ended up buying the new trim ring set from Eric @ Auto Foreign Services - Accessory Parts I used all the new hardware and sold off the trim rings. I also found the rubber "hose" grommets were too short and fiddly, so I just went to the local parts store and picked up a foot of small rubber hose and cut my own.

Best of luck!

Eric & SMC have slotted M3x65:

Auto Foreign Services - Accessory Parts

Porsche Headlight Adjustment Screw Set, All 356's/911/912 (50-67)

Last edited by 19-911-65; 03-12-2015 at 07:52 AM..
Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like many others have had my issues. I'm going to look into all of the suggestions and will report back with my findings.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I'm the manufacturer of the 65mm screws that SMC carries. I also have the screws in phillips type (stainless) which are probably more appropriate for your h4's, though I don't have them listed. Please contact me directly on those, same price.

The longer 110mm screw is not being made anywhere that I can find. The factory did a "fix" on this, and began to not use the 110mm screw, but used the 65mm screw and a screw "extension" that was a ziz-zag piece of metal threaded at one end (for the 65mm screw) and then had the pointed end on the other (to fit into the rubber grommet). That's what's in my headlight trim ring kit.

At one time SMC was offering a screw kit for the h4 headlights which consisted of 4 60mm screws and a couple of the ziz-zag metal pieces. They no longer offer this.

Sorry, but I don't make extra's of this zig-zag piece they are only in my ring kit. I'll look into making extras with the next run of headlight rings.

In the short term, maybe you can find someone with an extra of the zig-zag metal so you can solve your problem?

Cheers,
Eric
Auto Foreign Services
autoforeign@gmail.com
Old 03-13-2015, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Adjustment screw retainer

You could try one of these, pushed back as far as possible to the headlight ring

Old 05-16-2018, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: