Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rear Seat Belt Upgrade

I've been thinking about upgrading the rear seat belts in my 86' 911 from lap belts to the 3-point type. From what I can gather in previous posts on this subject is that my car (delivered to Canada) does have the necessary bolt holes for the shoulder straps ready to go. Has anyone out there performed this upgrade on an early Carrera? If so do you have any advice/suggestions for me? Any pics of of the job would be great if you have them.

As far as hardware is concerned is the kit on the PEP website a good choice? OR does Wayne or anyone else have a similar kit?

http://www.peparts.com/Detail.bok?no=60

(I think this is the one I'd need)

Thanks for the help,
Old 04-02-2005, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Kato, first time posting
Old 04-04-2005, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

OK, this posting did not go too well the first time.
I did this upgrade last month, really easy to do. I bought used but serviceable 3 point belts, plastic trims, and yes the bolt holes and threaded inserts are already in place. My car is an 85 Carrera. I am in Toronto today, but when I get home to Montreal, I'll post some pics with a step-by-step.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

I am interested in this upgrade as well. Looking forward to the pics.

I have never really completely understood anything.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by CBR900RR
I did this upgrade last month, really easy to do. I bought used but serviceable 3 point belts, plastic trims, and yes the bolt holes and threaded inserts are already in place. My car is an 85 Carrera. I am in Toronto today, but when I get home to Montreal, I'll post some pics with a step-by-step.
Sounds Great! I thought that this upgrade would be possible w/ used components. At least that's an option.

Cheers,
Old 04-04-2005, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Kato--
Should be easy to do in your '86. Check out the threads here:

rear seat belt thread

My '85 911 Targa ** Hand painted center caps for sale here
RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member

Last edited by steve911; 04-04-2005 at 01:43 PM..
Old 04-04-2005, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

This is how I did it. First, with rear deck and sound pad removed I located the bolt holes,
The sound pad is already stamped and perforated to aid in cutting the material,
Next, the belts and sound pad are positioned and installed.
A cardboard template of the rear deck is than made, with holes cut where the belt retractors are
The rear deck is than cut as per the template

Plastic trims are than inserted between leatherette and cardboard deck structure, upholstery than re-streched and glued to bottom surface.

Finally, with everything reassembled.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
nice job!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Very nice work!!
www.ford.com
Old 04-04-2005, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

CBR,

Very nice work. I have a couple of questions.

1) At what point did you make the template? Did you use the stamped portion of the sound pad?

2) How did you feed the belt through the plastic trim piece if you installed the belt retractor before re-installing the rear deck?

I hope these two questions make sense.

3) Where did you get the plastic trim pieces and 3 point belts? (I'm located in Kitchener, ON)

Cheers,
Old 04-05-2005, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Good morning Kato

Once the rear deck was removed, I peeled back the sound pad.
I than cut the sound pad where it was stamped, re-positioned the
sound pad, and went on to install the retractors. I had to trim
away some more of the sound pad material to properly position the retractors, as they must point towards the center of the dash.

I than fabricated a cardboard template using the rear deck as a model ( template of the right side only, from the side to the center of the rear glass ), positioned the template
in place of the rear deck, pressed down on it to mark the retractors, and cut the hole in the template. There was a bit of time wasted trimming the template, as I wanted a perfect fit, and I used the plastic trim pieces as my guage for the size of the rectangular hole.

I than flipped over my template, and positioned it on the left side to ensure the opening was also good for the left retractor, and also ensuring both sides were symetrical.

I than used the template to mark the rear deck, crossed my fingers and cut the deck upholstery with an exacto, pressing hard enough to mark the solid material beneath. Next, I peeled off the upholstery very delicately, and cut the rectangular opening.

I than positioned the rear deck in the car, saw where I had to trim a bit more here and a bit more there, and finally perfect fit.
Finally, the trim pieces are installed, upholstery stretched into position and glued back to the lower surface of the deck.

Position the deck in the car, feed the seat belts through the openings in the deck,( at this point only the retractors are bolted,the other end of the belt just sticks out of the retractor ) attach the belt lower anchor point ( both belts ) and secure the rear deck.

I got the belts and trim pieces from Porschapart in Toronto, who have a lot of dismantled cars.

Hope this helps, if you need more let me know.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Is there a reinforcing plates on earlier cars?? I would like to do this to my 77 but Not sure if I can make it happen anybody done one on an earlier car???

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 04-06-2005, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Forgot to mention, my car has a shallow rear deck which means the belts come out the top of the deck through periscope-like trims, as opposed to coming out of the vertical wall of the deck on deep decks as shown in your picture of the brown car
Old 04-06-2005, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Childs car seat?

Will this set up work on an 81" Targa?

Also is it the locking type that if you pull the belt all the way out, that it will go into locking mode so that you can sinch in a car seat and not have to worr about it getting loose?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Wider is Better

Garage
How long did this project take you? I just want to know if it is something I can do on a weekend.

Thanks

Walt
Old 04-06-2005, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
mb911: Is there a reinforcing plates on earlier cars?? I would like to do this to my 77 but Not sure if I can make it happen anybody done one on an earlier car???

To my knowledge, the reinforced mounting points on the deck are from '84 on. For earlier cars, you'll have to weld in a reinforcing plate, but it can be done. I believe there was an earlier thread where TRECup described it.

two bone: Will this set up work on an 81" Targa? Also is it the locking type that if you pull the belt all the way out, that it will go into locking mode so that you can sinch in a car seat and not have to worr about it getting loose?

Same comment as for mb911. The OEM belts do NOT lock when fully retracted. But if you use an H clip, it should be fine. YMMV.

wholberg: How long did this project take you? I just want to know if it is something I can do on a weekend.

Can't speak for CBR900RR, but when I did it on my '85 a couple of years ago, it was a couple of hours (in all fairness, I had a local upholstery shop cut the holes in the deck and mount the plastic hoods, but it only took them an hour to do that part of it.

Go here for my rear seat belt installation with pictures

My '85 911 Targa ** Hand painted center caps for sale here
RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 04-06-2005, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Yes this project can easily be done in a weekend. It only takes a couple of hours.
The belts I used are from an 88 car and work by inertia to lock-up. Once completely pulled out they do not ratchet back in, they simply recoil back in, ready to lock-up only if necessary.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

any one have the link to tre's thread??

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 04-06-2005, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by CBR900RR
Forgot to mention, my car has a shallow rear deck which means the belts come out the top of the deck through periscope-like trims, as opposed to coming out of the vertical wall of the deck on deep decks as shown in your picture of the brown car
How can one tell if they have a shallow or deep deck?
Old 04-06-2005, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hi Rick,

compare both pictures, you will see the difference.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: