Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
If a car comes out prepared with a sheet metal preparation type S / T. Without anything else .... Does that make it a S / T?

Old 09-17-2020, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #481 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Old 09-17-2020, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #482 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesmarco911s View Post
Hey I think I might have a 1970 911 st and I was reading this post and it seems like your the guy to talk to about st lol
Is the explanation that the vehicle was prepared after leaving the factory valid with the layers of yellow?
Old 09-17-2020, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #483 (permalink)
Registered

ST detail from the factory: They did not use seam sealers, or undercoating on the cars . Your picture of the fuse board area shows the undercoat spray consistent with a production street car. So, just from that one can deduce it is not a real factory ST
Also there is no evidence of a welded in strut brace between the shock towers: another detail the factory race department did on ST 's
Old 09-17-2020, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #484 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRE Cup View Post
ST detail from the factory: They did not use seam sealers, or undercoating on the cars . Your picture of the fuse board area shows the undercoat spray consistent with a production street car. So, just from that one can deduce it is not a real factory ST
Also there is no evidence of a welded in strut brace between the shock towers: another detail the factory race department did on ST 's
Hi Tre, I'm interested in layers of paint. I ask the question better. When you first painted yellow, did you have the S / T pieces on?
Thanks, I'll investigate what you say. Also say that under that black paint that you say is yellow.

"Also there is no evidence of a welded in strut brace between the shock towers: another detail the factory race department did on ST 's
"
Did it in All S / T?

regarding joint sealants. I think if they used them, I think I have seen photos where when doing the flare work, the joint filler is applied to the weld so that it does not rust. Is that correct?
Didn't they use a black base coat? I'd say I've seen pictures of it ...

Last edited by _baudett; 09-18-2020 at 03:10 AM..
Old 09-18-2020, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #485 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Looking at this photo I would say they took the 911S off the line after everyone had received the anti-corrosion coating. At this time the metal work is done in the necessary parts (these, losing the black primer layer) and when carrying out the work it would be given a layer of white to smooth the color change between black and the added sheet (pieces S / T) ... therefore I think that in the S / T pieces we do not find "primer" but we do find a white background layer. And then yellow and the corresponding color. Is this process correct and the one that was still manufactured? Or am I misdirecting with the image?

Two details are also observed in this image from my point of view. The technique of heat suction cups marked on the plate and that the bumper manufactures them with the original part and an addition.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #486 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to rsrguy
Brother.... It ain't an St.... Oh brother.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #487 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrguy View Post
Brother.... It ain't an St.... Oh brother.
brother, I'm tired already. I do not say I say layers of paint ... You are the one who appeared a few posts back to say a comment of two wordsXD? ... is a simple question about yellows. It is the only thing that I have to remove from this to know that my vehicle is not an ST. Why are you so sure <"brother"? Light the way for me with your wisdom. Thank you.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #488 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to rsrguy
Plenty of light already blazed by others... None are so blind as those who will not see... Guess that makes me a troll.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #489 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrguy View Post
Plenty of light already blazed by others... None are so blind as those who will not see... Guess that makes me a troll.
If your look is based on what others see, I understand you brother.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #490 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

I have found this on both doors.
any ideas?
Old 09-22-2020, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #491 (permalink)
Righteous Indignation

Production cars have rubber block door stops attached at those holes.

You should buy a set of repair manuals for the year of your car. They will answer many, many of your questions.

If a car comes out prepared with a sheet metal preparation type S / T. Without anything else .... Does that make it a S / T?

No.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #492 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
Production cars have rubber block door stops attached at those holes.

You should buy a set of repair manuals for the year of your car. They will answer many, many of your questions.

No.
The one that used keyser to make the film was considered S / T despite having a 2.4 engine. I must understand that this car (mine) was painted with the S / T parts despite not being an S / T?
the paint (in '73 would they strip the entire car to repaint it?).
It also had two exhaust outlets and a roll bar. Put everything in Germany. Where could this car come from? And what was it built for if it ended here? Preparing a car of this type (preparation st, rollbar, etc) would take your money. For a year later to abandon it in Tenerife? If ST was noted here in Tenerife on the vehicle papers I am very sure that it came with ST paper from Germany. I do not think that anyone when arriving in the year 73 had the brilliant idea of ​​putting a model on the vehicle that is not, that was not even marketed, that is not known. When selling it to someone I would have no idea .... I have also spoken with traffic friends, friends of my father.
Literal words, if the card says that it is an ST it is because when it came from Germany it brought papers with the ST model. Here in Spain traffic you cannot invent this type of data. So then we have a vehicle that appears to be an ST which is not.
so my car a replica of S / T?
I still maintain that this car had to run some event in Germany during the first year 72. (There are also the possible holes in the fire extinguishers) .... As the photo of Wicky appeared, I hope that one day a photo will appear of my car .... Regarding the tires, thank you, I spoke with several people and they found it strange (their vehicle did not present them). I have some manuals but I doubt they cover those little details! Do you have an image or something more illustrative? I understand that you tell me that those holes were to place the plastic molding to seal?
Thank you very much 70SATMAN !!
Old 09-23-2020, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #493 (permalink)
Righteous Indignation

None of the modifications you've shown us look like Porsche factory ST production. These all look like a private racer's modifications to a regular production car.

Paint has nothing to do with it. It was a used race car when entered your country, nothing wrong with that. I think you're spending too much time chasing ghosts.

When I speak of manuals, I mean the Porsche Maintenance manuals Part One and Part two and the Repair parts manual.

You can actually learn a great deal using the On-Line parts manual called PET:

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/911-1_USA_KATALOG.pdf

For instance, your holes are to mount what I've circled in the picture.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #494 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
None of the modifications you've shown us look like Porsche factory ST production. These all look like a private racer's modifications to a regular production car.

Paint has nothing to do with it. It was a used race car when entered your country, nothing wrong with that. I think you're spending too much time chasing ghosts.

When I speak of manuals, I mean the Porsche Maintenance manuals Part One and Part two and the Repair parts manual.

You can actually learn a great deal using the On-Line parts manual called PET:

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/911-1_USA_KATALOG.pdf

For instance, your holes are to mount what I've circled in the picture.
hello ... I see that what you show is a 69. Was that piece that you indicate in the 72 models present? Can you tell me the pet page number? I think layers of paint do matter. What if there are two in the body and two in the S / T parts, where is the third one from the factory? Thank you very much for sharing and clarifying but I have not managed to identify those holes in a 72.
the pet i am looking for is the 911, 1970-1973
+
I found it, thank you very much!
pag 574

Last edited by _baudett; 09-23-2020 at 12:56 PM..
Old 09-23-2020, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #495 (permalink)
Righteous Indignation

Yes, they had those on the 72 cars as well.
Go to the main links and download the whole 72/73 parts manual pdf. That page is in the BODY section.

You assume that the 72S was factory delivered with ST flares but, do you have Porsche factory documentation?

I still think the car was delivered as a 72S and then someone modified it with flares and that custom hood. The flares could have come from anyplace, even another car with several layers of paint.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #496 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Yes, they had those on the 72 cars as well.
Go to the main links and download the whole 72/73 parts manual pdf. That page is in the BODY section.

You assume that the 72S was factory delivered with ST flares but, do you have Porsche factory documentation?

I still think the car was delivered as a 72S and then someone modified it with flares and that custom hood. The flares could have come from anyplace, even another car with several layers of paint.

we thought that the car was prepared by a private! It is what we support! But looking at the layers of paint I don't know what to think. You say I must downplay it. What can come from another car with different layers of paint? It may be, but it seems strange to me that those layers of paint coincide with the same layers of the ceiling for example. I also found yellows under the pink bondo. It should be understood that these parts that our car assembles are original S / T parts? All this "supposed" modification was made in the year 72 since in August of the 73 it was already on the island. As he tells me, the car leaves the factory new and goes to a preparer who "prepares" the car with S / T parts (original or not) and that were yellow. It also makes the hood and puts a badly fixed roll bar plus "two exhaust outlets" (we also assume that between 72/73 there was a car prepared as S / T that lost its flares?)
What was the vehicle made for? Why buy a new vehicle to modify it and then send it to Tenerife (I think it was sent to Tenerife to avoid paying taxes, free port law)
But from the previous owner's words I know that. The vehicle in the year 73 came with those things (the engine I don't know) but if we assumed this, I have to assume that someone spent the money preparing a new car to leave it at a distant point where it would not be useful? I have the certificate and the vehicle papers listed as ST, the usual documents and the document that I got in traffic a few months ago ... but not the Porsche documentation alluding to ST. I have contacted several experts and they have all told me the same thing, my vehicle is not an ST. of the image, you can see the modifications section where there is no modification since its entry. I know it will be difficult to understand what I write, I can rewrite anything!
Old 09-23-2020, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #497 (permalink)
Righteous Indignation

Porsche used different colors of primer on a production car for different top coat colors of paint. For instance, I've read that a light yellow was used under Tangerine to give the Orange/Red more "pop".

A lot of Porsche spare parts in steel were either in black or yellow/green. I don't know what color their GRP parts for sure came in but, period photos seem to indicate white gelcoat.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #498 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Porsche used different colors of primer on a production car for different top coat colors of paint. For instance, I've read that a light yellow was used under Tangerine to give the Orange/Red more "pop".

A lot of Porsche spare parts in steel were either in black or yellow/green. I don't know what color their GRP parts for sure came in but, period photos seem to indicate white gelcoat.

hello again, if you look at the photos, at the ST parts of my car .... The first layer is white. I thought it was the background that was given to match the color of the flare with the body. Unlike the flare, the body does retain the black "primer" layer it makes. But S / T parts don't. If a cape ...

you can see that this primary white layer is somewhat "strange" or dense ...
all the information you give me ... is very well received! Thank you very much again
Old 09-24-2020, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #499 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
25 pages to get someone to agree the car is valuable.. can't Porsche do that with just the serial number? They don't know what they built and when?

Old 09-24-2020, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #500 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: