Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
87 911: How do I remove all (soft & hard oil lines). Car is on 6 ton jack stands.

How do I remove (i) soft and (ii) hard oil lines. Car is up on jack stands as engine has been removed.

(i) I am having difficulty removing hose from engine to thermostat housing. I have spoken with one Porsche mechanic and he says that the steel (hose) to Aluminum (Thermostat housing in RR qtr panel) is frozen due to its age. Upon removal the Al threads will probably come out destroyed. So I should put all in vice on bench to try to get out w/o desroying the therm housing. Another person has advised me that can tap both sides of the head of the nut with same presuure. Also can heat nut with propane. But have to get the hoses out (the car is too low in the front and on 6 ton jack stands in rear {Have 4 more jack stands available).

Can I jack up front end of car from front center, i. e., crossmember between left and right front hubs? if no where? Can is up high on rear, no engine in car.

(ii) I cant get the hard oil lines out (they are still connected to the soft oil hoses in the rear qtr panel) after disconnecting from oil tank and front oil cooler. I am hinking if get car up high on front, I can drop the oil lines down and thereby get them out of rear qtr too.

Hope you understand and have a solution. Thanks for helping out.

Regards,
Old 04-25-2005, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Who does zinc anodizing in Florida (or south east)?

Who does zinc anodizing in Florida (or south east)?

Regards,
Old 04-25-2005, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
I used PB Blaster to soak them. Then hit it with a propane torch. It took some time but I finally got it. Good fitting wrenches will really, really help. I did soak each fitting for a few nights and did several torchings before they would come loose. They are a real b*tch to get off. I had to slide a pipe over the wrenches to get enough torque to finally break them free. I did not mess up any threads so maybe I was lucky?

2 soft lines are still connected to 2 of my hard lines. they will come off when I have time.

I had to disconnect all hard lines to the thermostat to get them out. Now you could just loosen up the 2 going to the front of the car and that would allow the thermostat and the rear lines to be easily removed. the problem with that approach is there is not much room to get the front lines out. I removed the 2 rear lines which gave me room to slide the thremostat with the 2 front lines
back toward the rear wheel. Then with some contorsions I got the 2 front lines off the thermostat.

Does this help?
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 04-25-2005, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
That is what I was thinking- If I get the two rear ones off the housing and the two front ones would come off then.

I am trying to get advise on how to remove all together so can put in a vice on the bench. I am on 6 ton jack stands (engine is out/transmission is still in) in the rear. Want to jack up front to get them out if it makes sense (plus how do I jack up the entire front of the car from the front).
Old 04-25-2005, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
And how do I get front oil cooler off. I removed three nuts from the shield and cant find more bolts. Removed the rubber seal too. Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
How to remove all together. The rear torsion tube is blocking that path - unless you want to remove the passenger rear end... I did that but only after removing the hard oil lines. Your call.

To jack up the fron end place the jack on one of the front torsion bar tubes and jack SLOWLY. Lift a jack stand on one side where there is slack and then repeat on the other side.

edit - not on the tube but the front torsion plate cover...

Front oil cooler - there are 2 bolts on the bottom bracket. did you remove those?
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 04-25-2005, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Cool Removing oil lines from the thermostat...

I took the oil lines loose at each end and dropped the thermostat and hard lines as a unit. Then I used a really big pipe wrench (over 4 feet long and made of cast iron!) to hold the thermostat while I removed the oil lines with a special "wrench" that I had made out of 1/2" thick steel plate.

It is about 18" long, 4" wide and quite heavy. When whacked with a large ball peen hammer it loosened the oil line fittings on the thermostat quite easily. The threads on the thermostat even remained in nearly perfect condition. When I put it all back together there were no leaks. The bottom line is that you will need some way to hold the thermostat securely while putting a lot of blunt force on the fittings. As mentioned above, a little pentrating oil and some heat might also help. Good luck with your project!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I concour with Fred. Remove the entire oil supply tubes/thermostat, front oil cooler as a unit. It's much easier to apply leverage and heat to the fittngs once they're off the car. Less chance for damage as well.

I had luck removing the thermostat fittings using two large wrenches; one to hold the thermostat, the other on the fitting. A BFH works wonders, as does some heat applied to the fitting nut.

Sherwood
Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: