Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I think there are enough people here to garner a group discount. Can't hurt to ask.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

sure I'm game. If those Corvette guys can do it, so can we.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
I also have JC Taylor. They have allowed me to increase the coverage each year without documentation (appreciation, paint). My agent said if it went over $20,000 they would need some additional documentation. No daily driving either, but if you were on your way to the mechanic's shop at 8:00 AM in the morning that's alright.

The only complaint I had was being rejected initially because I told them yes (my engine was not the original engine) on the question has your engine been modified? I spoke with the underwriter directly and was issued the policy.

I have 12,000 coverage now.

I don't want to hijack this thread, How much do you insure your long nose 911 for? That recent thread on new record for a T $40,000+ makes you think 12,000 is inadequate, no?
Old 05-11-2005, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
FWIW, I'm going for the max without appraisal. $25k.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
How much do you insure your long nose 911 for?
$23k. I couldn't recreate it for that (not even the parts), but it's a reasonable number based on the prices I've seen for RS inspried cars.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

All those policies (hargerty, grundy, leland west, CHROME, Parish heacock) are basically the same, give or take nuances about mileage or conditions...

Bottom line: a) you need to own a new(ish) car for everyday driving (your wife's does nto count, you too must own one)
b) you are not covered for driving to work, not even stopping to say hi !

The flip side is that they are dirt cheap: I have a 57 356 and a 73.5 911 which are BOTH covered under an agreed value policy for $240 per year !!! That is what I pay every 2 MONTHs for our regular cars ;-)
Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Deschodt
b) you are not covered for driving to work, not even stopping to say hi !

Let's see if Sneed delivers.....

(from their site)

NO MILEAGE LIMITS* - So you can drive as many miles as you want!

NO USAGE RESTRICTIONS* - So you go anywhere you want anytime!

AGREED AMOUNT - Coverage pays claims without consideration of depreciation on a total or partial loss.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Indeed.. Does Sneed have a website ?

Edit: Lazy me:

http://www.sneedcompanies.com/sneed_collect.htm

I'll check ! I'd love to be able to use my 911 as primary and 356 as secondary !

Last edited by Deschodt; 05-11-2005 at 12:57 PM..
Old 05-11-2005, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Deschodt

First, I admit I am cheap person and car insurance is a waste of money. That's why I really shopped around for the car insurance. They are all same except for Sneed(hargerty, grundy, leland west, CHROME, Parish heacock, AON). I contacted each and every one of them for a quote. One thing all these other companies had in common was the mileage restriction and usage of vehicle. That is why my final choice was Sneed. Yes, they are slightly more expensive. However, unlimited mileage really made a difference. By the way, I'm not a Sneed salesman. I just wanted to share the information with rest of you.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I'm using Leland-West. They have a 2500 mile and 5000 mile limit policies. They were vague on the phone about driving the car to work.."well, its ok if your other car is in the shop"..but that statement is not in the policy. They want pictures of the car and the garage that it is to always sleep in. Last week they sent me a form to fill out..odometer statement so they can see where I'm at with my mileage restriction. Makes it a little tough since the state of NJ will only allow me 3000 miles per year as a collector car and LW only 2.5 k or 5K and I have a new engine that my mechanic will stand behind for 1 year - whats a guy to do ;-)
Own a gun and you can rob a bank , own a bank and you can rob the world.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Aw, crap, they're the same....

SNEED INSURANCE DOES NOT INSURE VEHICLES USED FOR DAILY PRINCIPAL TRANSPORTATION

ALL DRIVERS IN THE HOUSEHOLD MUST HAVE A VEHICLE FOR PRINCIPAL TRANSPORTATION.

Exact same as hargerty and co... Thanks for playing ;-)
Old 05-11-2005, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally posted by Mysterytrain
Makes it a little tough since the state of NJ will only allow me 3000 miles per year as a collector car )
Does the state issue special registrations for Collector cars? If so what are the benefits.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally posted by Deschodt
Aw, crap, they're the same....

SNEED INSURANCE DOES NOT INSURE VEHICLES USED FOR DAILY PRINCIPAL TRANSPORTATION

ALL DRIVERS IN THE HOUSEHOLD MUST HAVE A VEHICLE FOR PRINCIPAL TRANSPORTATION.

Exact same as hargerty and co... Thanks for playing ;-)

BUT THEY ALLOW YOU TO DRIVE TO WORK.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Sure, once in a while, like CHROME actually... (though CHROME requires you insure ALL your cars with them, cheeky gits)

Doesn't work for me, I want one of my classics to be the main car, and if I do that, I fail the "new car as main transportation" rule... ;-)

PS: I did not look for that on their site, but get it in writing !!! Seriously !
Old 05-11-2005, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rick,
I think this is something new here in NJ. You can register the car as a collector car with the mileage limit. You register the car as normal and then pay an addition fee for the collector car status. I think I requested the form in advance ( check their website). I didn't know anyone that had gone this route so when I had my engine rebuilt last year I was careful not to modify it too much..so that I could bolt all the emissions stuff back on and pass if I needed to. Long story short I go for my inspection and the only thing they inspected was the odometer for operation. Geez, so you don't need brakes or lights or a horn, ergh!!!
Own a gun and you can rob a bank , own a bank and you can rob the world.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Pauli33
just a question as i am considering doing a "classic" insurance - i don't qualify for most of them as my car is from 1987 but there seems to be a few who will accept my 930 as classic.

i know this is a stretch, but a lot of these classic insurance websites say that the vehicle can be used in "club activities"... i can't imagine DE events count as club activities, right?

but then again, they're technically educational and non-competetive. what do you all think? probably wishful thinking right?

cheers
Old 05-11-2005, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

Why not? Most regular policies would not cover you for a DE either anyway, so the classic one would cover you on the way to and from the event. On the track, you're on your own unless you buy specific insurance. I know some insurances allow non-competitive events in theory, but when push comes to shove it'll be a battle to get paid !
Old 05-11-2005, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
19 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Very timely thread as I'm looking into getting a few quotes from ins companies that offer "agreed upon value" and a friend just got Hagerty is was very happy with their prices and terms. I drive my car to/from work a few times each week as well as drive about 100 miles per weekend in the summer (weather permitting). I pay $55 a month now, but I need to be sure my current ins company (Citizen's) will pay me what I say my car is worth should something horrible happen...
www.ford.com
Old 05-11-2005, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Neil Peart Fan

Garage
Sneed seems like the way to go if they let you drive to work. I wonder if regular insurance will cover a classic if you get an appraisal and agreed value.

Old 05-11-2005, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

VEHICLE
Year:1987 Make:Porsche Model: Value: $18,000 L

PLEASE MAIL QUOTE, DECLARATIONS PAGE FROM DAILY CARS, PICTURES, AND PAYMENT WITH APPLICATION!! COVERAGE CANNOT BE BOUND WITH FAXED OR EMAILED APPLICATION AND PICTURES.

COVERAGE
Single Limit Liability Personal Injury Protection(PIP) Medical Payments PPI(MI Only) Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist
300,000 stat 1000 300,000

PREMIUM
Liability Physical Damage Taxes and/or Surcharges Total Estimated Annual Premium
109 245 $354 L
250 deductibles

FEATURES & BENEFITS
NO MILEAGE LIMITATIONS!
NO USAGE RESTRICTIONS!
FULL REPLACEMENT COST ON PARTIAL OR TOTAL LOSS!
AGREED AMOUNT NON-DEPRECIATING COMP & COLLISION!
INSURANCE QUOTE FROM SNEED - SOUTH FLORIDA

07 BMW 530xiT (Spare tire)
Old 05-11-2005, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: