Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Look at the STAR after "NO USAGE RESTRICTIONS*" on their advertisement!
NO USAGE RESTRICTIONS* - So you go anywhere you want anytime!

* Sneed Insurance's Classic Auto insurance program does not insure vehicles used for daily transportation nor for racing.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

Rick M:
I tried to go that route with State Farm (I've had them for years). The restrictions were so bad, just to save a few hundred bucks a year. it wasn't worth it. We are just flat screwed here in the Garden State.

And, how many claims do insurers actually have to pay out on antique registered vehicles? Probably next to none, as long as they aren't used daily, like for work. Guys would be putting in claims for grocery cart damage at the Stop & Shop. I have to replace at least one windshield per year on the "fleet" from the idiot rock spewing trucks on our main roads at rush hour. Geez, I get hit with projectiles on my motorcycle going to work. Driving to work, for the insurers, means greater moron density per foot of roadway, and more chances to pay out claims.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Just got the quote back from Sneed. I have to ask them to adjust the coverages but first glance is that it'll be in the $450 range as opposed to $900 annually.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RickM
Also, you take a risk when cancelling insurance during the winter. If it's stolen, burned, or vandalized etc you SOL. Be careful.
My regular insurance company, Amica, lets me keep insurance to cover vandalism, theft, etc. while in storage for about $40. But, I'm not sure if this is part of my homeowners or auto policy - I use Amica for both.

memories
1977 911S, 1968 BMW 1600, 1976 BMW 2002
Old 05-12-2005, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

I have a 71 Chevy pickup that is restored as well as my 84 911. They are both insured at agreed value of $20k each. It cost a total of $420.00 to insure them both with Hagerty.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

I tried to keep my registration current while my insurance was canceled ( engine was blown) and got a nasty letter from NJDMV.They wanted my plates within 5 days or they would cancel all my registrations and my Driver's license.
Own a gun and you can rob a bank , own a bank and you can rob the world.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
How timely, I'll add my story.

USAA insures my house and 3 cars. When I bought my new daily driver 2001 Audi A6 I decided that the P-car was going to get a lot less use (because I actually really like the Audi, as opposed to my 10 year old Volvo, which I HATED)

So I shopped around collectors insurance, including USAA's own collector division. They were all similarly priced but USAAs was particularly restrictive, so I ended up going with Hagerty, actually just got off the phone with the rep and paid my bill.

Around $250 for the year (USAA regular insurance was over $900) stated value of $15,000, yes there are restrictions, but I can't remember a year that I have owned it where I put more then 5000 miles, and like others they did say that once in a while I could take it to work (like today, man what a beautiful day). My commute is all of 4 miles anyway so somedays it hardly seems worth it to take her to work especially when it gets cold outside.

There's my story, I'm glad to be saving the money and if it gets wrecked getting more then a few dollars for it.

Adam
Old 05-13-2005, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

I work for an insurance agency on the claims side, so I know quite a bit about how restricitons can hurt you on claims. You guys should check out American Modern Elite Collector Car Program. My 88 Carrera Coupe is written with them and I am allowed 6k miles a year with 300 single limits, med pay and $0 ded on comp/coll. The annual premium is $504.

They offer three different mileages; 1k, 3k, and 6k. The difference in 3 to 6 was $67. Let me know if anyone needs any additional info and I can help you get a quote with them.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Can you drive to work and get it writing? Sneed is the only one I've seen who allows this. (Thanks to ValenciaCarrrera)
Old 05-13-2005, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

I posted above off their web site. Sneed says "* Sneed Insurance's Classic Auto insurance program does not insure vehicles used for daily transportation nor for racing."

Surely driving to work is daily transportation.......??
Old 05-13-2005, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
I rarely drive to work in the 911, However, I want in writing that I am covered if I do. They said no problem. They make the determination by evidence of having other (newer) cars under my name.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

My commute is 30 miles, one way. Just commuting only is around 15k miles per year. I use the SC as much as possible. Some days I ride the SuperGlide. I use my 4x4 all winter. So, the breakdown thus becomes bike 1.5k, truck 8k, everything else 911. I pay an extra $400 for regular full coverage; it is treated as just another of my vehicles. On a dollar per mile basis, it is cheaper for me to do what I do, and have no restrictions.

I love to drive my car. But, blasphemy aside, it is just a car. If it wears out, I'll get another one. I do lots of preventive maintenance. I want to have fun driving for the remainder of my finite shelf life. Can't do that with a garage queen.
Pat
Old 05-13-2005, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Totally agree with you Pat, by the way it was great meeting you a couple of weeks ago...

but for me, the practicality factor plays into the decision to drive most often...kids, work, many, many drives into NYC for client meetings, etc, etc...
Old 05-13-2005, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

Same here, Adam
NYC makes the dynamic different. Any drive where you have to spend long periods on the clutch is not worth it
Old 05-13-2005, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Whew,
I'm with State Farm collectors insurance. Full coverage, stated value no milage restrictions and no restrictions of any stated sort. Stated value $20k. $250 a year. 500 deductable. Whats the issue?
Oh ya I have to keep it in the locked garage at night.

Yasowatt
Old 05-13-2005, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

Tim:
Whatever you pay in VA, double or triple it for NJ
Pat
Old 05-13-2005, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by tdatk
Whew,
I'm with State Farm collectors insurance. Full coverage, stated value no milage restrictions and no restrictions of any stated sort. Stated value $20k. $250 a year. 500 deductable. Whats the issue?
Oh ya I have to keep it in the locked garage at night.
I am with State Farm for all of my cars. I asked about Collector Insurance and as long as I agreed to weekend and fun trips only and less than 4000 miles/yr, they were ok. The moment I said, ocasional trips to work, grocery store, DE, Autocross they said ix-nay.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 05-13-2005, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryD
I am with State Farm for all of my cars. I asked about Collector Insurance and as long as I agreed to weekend and fun trips only and less than 4000 miles/yr, they were ok. The moment I said, ocasional trips to work, grocery store, DE, Autocross they said ix-nay.
I would have to say that it depends on the writer. Mine is a very flexiable person and the fact I have been with SF for 20 years. I would never tell a insurance writer that I was going to autocross my car. I believe that if your going to "track" your car you should carry track insurance separately. They stated they have no problem with ocasional trips to work and errands. I live in a special part of the this country, my track is the endless backroads of the Shenendoah Valley and the Mountains of West Virginia that make places like Summit Point and most tracks look like an airport runway.
Tim

Yasowatt

Last edited by tdatk; 05-13-2005 at 08:32 PM..
Old 05-13-2005, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have Leland-West and have no complaints. 5k miles/garaged/2 drivers for ~$538/yr. Just had to make a glass claim and they were great about it. But I want to say that the LW Underwriter does not cover Drivers Ed events. Does Sneed? How are they on pay-outs?
Old 05-16-2005, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

I work for Safeco Auto Insurance, and they have a pretty decent antique/collector car program. There are two programs - both featuring agreed value contracts.

The cheapest and most restrictive is the Antique program. Open to vehicles 25 years or older; no commuting use and a few thousand miles of pleasure use per year. This would typically be $100-$150 per year.

The restricted use classic car program is open to "special interest" vehicles 10 years or older. This is basically the same as the antique program, but more vehicles are eligible and "occasional" commuting use is allowed. Rates will typically be 30-40% less than regular rates.

Both programs require all drivers to have another regular use vehicle.

Now the plug - get a quote at 1-888-458-2246.

2000 BMW 323Ci conv. (4 sale)
1987 Corvette Callaway Twin-Turbo Conv
Old 05-16-2005, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: