Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Assignment: Germany

....been notified by my employer that I'll be on long term "special" assignment in Germany ( 4 mos). Starting around June 1 or so.

Access to this board might be "iffy" due to corporate internet restrictions and other issues..so I might not be posting as much as before.

Was wondering if one kind Pelicanhead can do me a favor. Would like someone to VCR tape all remaining WRC rallys ( on Speed ....usu late night Sunday's) until October or November when I get back. Any chance for this? TIA

I'm going to be *very* busy and will likely not have much spare time...but let me know if anyone in the area would like to meet. I'll likely use Hurth / Cologne as my headquarters.

In one way this is a bummer.....just got my car fully insured for the "driving" 6 mo period ahead...having been in "storage mode" insurance coverage the last 6 mos. Car just came off jack stands and will be put up again. Just called the insurance guy to "go back" to prior status ...

Wil

Old 05-18-2005, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Will,

I'll give the taping a go for you.

I could run them straight to disc and burn em to DVD's.

Should be able to get 4 races per disc.

It'd be good if someone else does it as well, insurance never hurts.

Where in Germany will you be or is that confidential?

Scott
Old 05-18-2005, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Used User

It could be worse......I'd take 4 months in Germany with pay. Not gonna happen to me. Unless you work 24/7, you should be able to take full advantage of the "relocation."
Old 05-18-2005, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If you get chance, go see the Schlumpf Museum.

Cheers,

Paul.
'89 Carrera Targa SOLD
Old 05-18-2005, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Recreational User

Wil, take your car to Germany with you. My dream vacation would be to take my car "home" and drive it around the twisty roads of Bavaria and toss it around the 'Ring, not to mention testing its legs on the Autobahn. For me it would be well worth it.

Last edited by porschenut; 05-19-2005 at 01:20 PM..
Old 05-18-2005, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

I might really try to export my car to Ger. What a deal!

David Duffield
Old 05-18-2005, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Wil,
I shipped my car last year to germany for six months it was great and not that expensive, but I had some time to drive it. Sounds like you will be busy. In Koln You should get to know the Kolsh pretty well (a local beer served in small glasses) I think K9 Handler is nearby he seems like a right dude. have fun!
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles
Old 05-18-2005, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wil,

Spent a long time there and love it over there. Have seen several US plated cars there, the issue is getting insurance coverage. Before you go, get over to a AAA office and get an international drivers license. That will make you legal to drive there.

Enjoy your time there and get to know the country and people. Its a nice place!

JoeA
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 05-18-2005, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

It get's pretty chilly in the evening, maybe you could score a "Le Mans" jacket before you go

Seriously, We'll miss you around the board but Germany will be a blast.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I bet you that they'll have better coverage of the WRC there then they do here! I don't have a calender near by, but maybe you could take in the German rally in person.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 05-19-2005, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

True. Rally coverage will be full on. Any TV in europe will give you more rally than you can imagine. One night in Torino Italy I watched an hour of what might have been called " "the year in crashes" or "best rally crashes" hosted by a bikini clad woman. No language barrier there...
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 05-19-2005 at 03:37 PM..
Old 05-19-2005, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

You guys are great...

Yep...all these thoughts have been rolling around in my head.....some will work...others won't.

The downside is my family stays in the States. We might be able to wrangle a (single) trip for one of us to see the other ( either direction) in this 4 month period. If so, then better for my wife to visit Germany than for me to come "home". But my two girls ( one a freshman in college..the other married....yessir I'm an old fart) won't be part of the $ stipend. Maybe we'll cover the cost for these also..maybe...

I'm familiar with the Intl Driver's license and such...done it before. Have visited Germany in the past ..both on my own nickel and on company time. I'm a first generation American and my German background and moderate language skills got me "considered" for the assignment.

I'm creating a library of Speed-coverage WRC rallys, and although I might try to see the German rally live ( in Rust ??)....I still need a VCR formatted for US use. Any help here is appreciated. Next one is up fast in early June. Scott ( and others) ... many thanks.

Not much chance of getting my car over on such short notice...and I'll go crazy if it's parked in the street or in a garage five blocks away from where I'm staying. Better to try a hot lap at Spa or the 'Ring in my rental car !!!

More later...this might come off in less than 1-2 weeks....

Those who asked....my HQ is Hurth/Cologne....main HQ is in Dusseldorf, but my job will have me driving all over the mid/western region to visit a number of our plant sites.

Wil

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 05-19-2005 at 04:43 PM..
Old 05-19-2005, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
Wil,
Like I posted on another thread....Koln is only 1 hour from the Nurburgring and June/July/Aug are the prime months to get in some laps. I am a couple hours drive down south (Kaiserslautern) between Manheim and Saarbrucken on the A6. The A62, A63 and A61 all lead up to your HQ area...so we will get together while you are here for sure.
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 05-22-2005, 01:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Wil,

Sounds like fun! I did the same for my company in 1999. They asked for volunteers to go to Denmark for a 3 month posting. I had residence permits for Europe and spoke several of the languages, so was one of 9 people sent over.

We returned 5.5 months later. Had an excellent time and would do it again in a heartbeat! Hope you enjoy it! Hope you can stay long enough to make the Christmas markets in Germany! They are really worth seeing.

JoeA
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 05-22-2005, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

hallo Wil
I am in Mönchengladbach , 45 minutes from Cologne and about 35 Minutes from Ddorf .
send me a email and i give you my tel. nr. so you can call me when you are here . K9 has my number as well .
you are lucky to come here in Summer , it is quite nice , The Ring, Spa , Zandvoort ,Zolder ;Assen , Hockenheim all between 50 and 250 KM away .
Harald
Old 05-22-2005, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Here's the Schlumpf website. http://www.collection-schlumpf.com/schlumpf/en/decouve_05.html

The museum is actually in France, but very close to the German Border. I was there in '87, and reckon it's well worth a visit. Do a search and you'll find lots of reviews, etc.

Cheers,

Paul.
'89 Carrera Targa SOLD
Old 05-22-2005, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Speedster and K9..thanks for the listing, we'll try to meet.... a drive at Spa or the Ring would be a great experience.

Some of you may know I am a first-generation American and come from German ancestry. So I've been in Europe before a number of times in my lifetime. This will be the first for a long(ish) term company assignment.

PaulK..forgot to mention earlier but I have visited Schlumpf museum. It is quite fantastic. So is the story of the brothers Schlumpf and how the museum came to be in the first place.

Wil
Old 05-22-2005, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

To Scott:
Hey... I'm back from my long term assignment from Germany and I was wondering if you had an opportunity to tape any of the WRC rallys since June ? Not a big deal if for some reason it didn't work out..... just curious. Was able to see the WRC rally in Germany live. Even got a nice autograph from Markko Martins' co-driver , Michael Park. Just too weird...he died in the awful crash at rally GB in Wales about 1 month later. Creepy.
-Wil

PS- as I may have mentioned in other threads, I apologize for not being able to get together with some of you folks....the days were pretty long and free time was at a minimum.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Co-driver/navigator... arguably the most dangerous ride in in motorsport
Old 10-13-2005, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
damn sorry I missed you during your assignment...another day I guess.

2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 10-13-2005, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: