Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
porschesaur

Porsche Video - Let's Race!

Gents,

Pretty much the word after putting the PWR 2.61litre twin turbo dyno video online was that 30 seconds wasn’t long enough to enjoy the music. So how about riding for a couple of pre-qualifying laps with Pat Williams at Road Atlanta? Yes, that motor does sound like you’re lighting a short fuse on a large grenade. But just like the PWR 2.1litreTT which continues to survive rocker-snapping missed-shift forays to 9,500 plus rpm, logging over 80 race hours in the last 2 years without mechanical failure, this one’s proving to be just as durable.

PWR 2.61 Litre twin turbo video

1950 Vincent Rapide - A Red Rapide Experience -
Old 05-20-2005, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Kurt B Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt B
Wow, that is one impressive car. Pretty makes every other participant look like he's in 2nd gear.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That cars insane
Old 05-20-2005, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

NICE!!!

I love the sound of the turbos getting up to speed, and that straight where they are three wide and passing, very cool

Thanks for sharing that.

-Chris

Well on the fringe......
Old 05-20-2005, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

GOOD GOD MAN!!!
If your going to run with the BIG DOGS.....
Old 05-20-2005, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
porschesaur

Howdy Fellas

That's the cool thing about PCA Club Racing, particularly in the GT ranks, no cookie cutter cars required here. If you think you can build a (safe) "better mousetrap" step right up. This engine's sized precisely to meet the forced induction multiplier for GT3. Sooo, if you're planning to go head to head with pieces like that GT2R factory 3.8 RSR he blew past better take a whiff of the smelling salts first and then get ready to rev it off the scale and stir the stick like crazy.

The owner of the 2.61tt could have easily gone out and bought a new GT3-RS but instead wanted something....shall we say a little "different". I think he got just that, don't you? He's having a blast!

Old 05-20-2005, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hmm. . GT3 class limit is 3.4, divided by 1.3 turbo multiplier =2.62, how'd you get there, 89 x 70.4?

Edit: if you use a 66mm crank, 91.65mm bore, or a 70.4, 88.74 bore. Either way, a custom overbore, but with custom pistons available, doable these days!
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
'81 R65
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Ex-'89 944 Turbo S (Sold 8/21/20)

Last edited by 304065; 05-20-2005 at 01:40 PM..
Old 05-20-2005, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I saw this car at his shop a few days ago- it is sweet. He also has there a twin turbo twin plugged 930 with EFI he built earlier for a customer. ( The owner ran over something and smashed the front end a little.) Pat offered for me to come by and take a ride in it with him sometime..I will be doing that soon. He says that car is scary fast too. Hmmm a TT in my Cab That would be a nice!

Last edited by 84CAB; 05-20-2005 at 01:25 PM..
Old 05-20-2005, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up WOW!

I'm still trying to figure out which video is the most impressive... that thing's scary!
Old 05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

WOWZER"S

Wonder how those guys felt seeing that big bad wolf coming up from behind and eating there lunch.

All I can say is, I know what I will be watching the next couple hours while killing time in the salt mines.

Kinda reminds me of when I stand on it in my lowly 76.
96-Chev 1500 4x4
88 Sabre 38 mk 2 sailboat
Old 05-20-2005, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
porschesaur

john_cramer: Doing all the web development and most content for Pat's site, you'd think I'd remember, but, had to double check, it's 92 x 65.5. Now, with the exception of basing it on 3.2 cases, all the usual references to production pieces are cast aside. Only the crank mains are standard size, the crank, rods, bearings, pins, cylinders are custom and non O.E. As you know, for a small displacement engine to perform at this level, it must be able to rev continually with no distress. As this isn't pro racing where winning comes at all costs, owners are not amenable to (compromised) engine lives measured in mere hours and that's where the challenge lay and thus the reason for all the custom pieces. This one had to be as bullet proof as the 2.1 litre tt while make much larger power and rev'g to a range sustained about 500rpm over that one.
84cab: How's that car running, bet you're relieved, Pat told me the story. The twin plug you refer to, that's the prototype for the PWR 930 Club Sport - seen here - and I'm in the process of doing up a web page for the site, along with a video, as he's all set to start on another one. Short story here. The owner, a long time friend of mine rode in the my white car with the PWR package motor and PWR EFI I. Decided he had to have all of it but with the volume turned up to the next level and it had to drive like his factory 993 RS Club Sport. As a former club racer and now indefatigueable DE'r and driving instructor Pat could not place a motor of this strength in a standard chassis thus the concept of a package car for a package motor was born - like the package motors, a repeatable template with customer individualization thrown in. In this case full track Motons on a mod'd suspension and a neatly integreted cage tying in the suspension points, not unduly hindering street use and it had to be kind of light. The little front end infarction you refer to? Nothing run over here, pets, endangered wildlife, etc.., actually he attempt to mount the tire wall in Grants Tomb on the very first outlap of the DE following, you guessed it, the 2.61tt. After literally 1,000 laps on the track, the performance of his 930CS was so effortlessly above his previous machines and, as such, he didn't really drop much of a gap on acceleration to the 2.61tt all the way around and was lulled into a little-too-late braking for Grants. No real harm, finished the weekend and it's now fixed.

Cheerio,
Peter

Old 05-23-2005, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
John M

Garage
I WANT ONE!!!

NICE RIDE!! NICE web site as well.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
84cab: How's that car running, bet you're relieved, Pat told me the story.
Runs like a top!! Pat fixed in 10 minutes what 2 other shops couldn't diagnose in weeks. I wish I had known about him sooner.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Timing from the bridge after turn 7, he turned a 1.34.6 that is blistering quick! Not many 3.4L cars out there that can turn laps that fast.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Alter Ego Racing

YIKES, that thing is scary......................
PCA Club Racing Champion
National Vintage Racing Champion
Old 05-23-2005, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
porschesaur

jmarenas ; I WANT ONE!!! You know, I did to, but not able to afford the whole entre I got just the dish I couldn’t live without – those revs off the scale. That’s the trademark of PWR. I’ve driven that white slant here for 22 years now, very familiar with it’s 5,800rpm hp and roughly 4,800rpm torque peak and completely lost interest in it the first time I saw the 2.1tt blast down the street in front of the shop. Soooo, I got the stage one package motor and PWR EFI-1, take a look at the dyno chart and you’ll see what’s different over most any 930-based street motor, a deep breather, it just keeps pulling off the scale and only lack of traction meant a shutdown at 7krpm. My ECU’s set for a soft cut at 7,200rpm and a hard at 7,500, I’ve exercised the former routinely now for a year and a half and with an XR1, that music never gets tiresome. The site, short on Flash7 bling but try to keep it interesting with good/real content - makes a nice release from my day gig at a large express carrier.

Tspringer: Not many 3.4L cars out there that can turn laps that fast
Actually, none did including the fastest air cooled car from the Texas event #34 a factory 3.8 RSR (which he built the motor for)

What’s the old adage? Woulda Shoulda, Coulda. Actually, that video represents 2 of only 6 laps he got before qualifying – providing track side support to 5 customers prevent taking any more – and he’d not been on the track in 3 years. A botched start for the sprint got him 15 seconds down to which he recovered to place second by .154 of a second – the length of a fender - turning many laps in the low in the low 30’s with a 01:32.9 as you can see here in the results. F class, the Super Vee of the PCA, is the perfect background for getting into these small displacement turbo cars in the higher classes. Large fields of typically SC’s duke’n it out inches apart with the small advantage only going to the one who can sustain his “A” game – and momentum – flag to flag. Even with this excellent throttle response, you’ll note how early he picks up the throttle, right before the apex to ensure all the power’s there at exit.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This video made my day! Very very nice work and driving.

Alex

1986 Porsche 911 Carrera, Black
2006 Porsche Cayenne S, Black
Old 05-24-2005, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: