Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Enthusiasm > Expertise

Getting the bushings back in adds 50-100% time to the rebuild process. I would avoid removing them if possible.

Every so often, someone takes one for the team and buys the rare German retainer rings -- the minimum quantity is 500 pieces, IIRC -- and then offers the extra 498 units to the forum. Keep your eyes peeled. Failing that, just ask. I'm sure we're not alone in sitting on a stash of retainers.

We take the bushings out because we machine new grooves in the rack ends for beefy reusable snap-rings that stand a better chance of holding the bushings in place during spirited driving:

Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Hey Red dog,
A few questions - sounds like you have dealt with a few nice racks :-)

Do you make or resell pucks?

How hard do you have to be pushing the car to see rack bushings wear out or get "pushed" out?? Are we talking just racing or occasional track days??

Do you favor synthetic grease for the rack rebuild, or not? What grease do you like, particularly for guys like me that may never open up the rack again?? (I'm almost 70).

What is your recommendation for shimming up the puck
Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-22-2018, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Is that a purple/plum powder coated rack in the blurry background? NOICE!!!!

I don't want to speak for Red Dog but I can say synthetic EP (extreme pressure) grease is the way to go in my opinion because it's less likely to separate into oil and goop. Many conventional greases tend to separate and dry over time. I have a small can of Mobil 1 red synthetic that i've had on the shelf for at least ten years and the stuff has no sign of separation. It's got a lightly sealed plastic lid on it so it's not been tightly preserved.

Not saying i'd use it in something critical at this point. I just use it for general purpose stuff around the house and minor car stuff. But honestly you can use any brand name high end grease, synthetic or not, and it'll be fine. Don't be cheap on grease. Spend a few extra bucks and the grease will last a long time.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)
Enthusiasm > Expertise

We do make pucks out of a PTFE-impregnated acetal resin which won't mar the rack or chassis; PM if you want one. The pucks from Fenn Lane (chris_seven) are another good option.

I can't speak to the circumstances of bushing ejection, unfortunately. Just one of those things that I don't think is worth risking on a couple $1 single-use parts that I can't even eyeball easily. I definitely wouldn't want to chance it on the track, but that begs the question -- isn't spirited driving on the street less safe?

We experimented with shims first; you can find our contribution to that effort here, somewhere, maybe even in this thread. Delrin is a cheaper (and easier to source) material that should work almost as well.

As far as the grease goes, KTL hit the nail on the head. Good grease is fine. Great grease is a little better. I'd like to see more translucent grease in use because it makes it easier to detect contamination and wear. We use the Mobil 1 synthetic, which is a sort of translucent red color.

Here's a photo of our Red Rack, with a version in "Porsche Silver" powder coat. It has taken a surprising amount of work, but I am pretty happy with the quality of these. It's one of those things that you are motivated to improve after handling so many gnarly old parts and seeing how they fail.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)

Garage
Has anyone seen wear on the puck and housing like this before?

Old 01-27-2018, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)

Looking for puck with splines also
Old 03-30-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)

Garage
bushings

My bushings disintegrated possibly due to the heat involved with the powder coating. I will either buy some Slippery DelrinŽ Acetal Resin Rods which contains 13% PTFE or buy some from reddogmotrspts.

David
Old 05-19-2018, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: