Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks Evan.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Can any one provide me with a demension?? I need the measurement from the end of the muffler(inlet side) to the center of the engine support consule> I need to make another style and I do not have a car to go off of with that style exhaust with my muffler on it.. Thanks ahead of time

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 09-07-2005, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Hmmm....

I smell a 1-in 2-out carrera model...

Flyer88's muffler in the works?

I'll measure it for you. It will be about an hour before I get to it.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Ben,

I get 18.75" from the outlet side of the can to the center seam of the engine. I place the tape on the bottom of the muffler and sighted down the engine case seam. There are too many obstructions on the forward side of the can to measure there.
Also, it appears the engine center seam is in the middle of the support console.

Let me know if you need me to take a different measurement.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

no thats great thanks. I am working on a dual outlet rear exit muffler someone and this will help

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Alright.... I went for a ride with Evan yesterday and WOW !! NICE muffler Ben !!

You weenies got me back in the mood ..... AGAIN !!!

Ben... My REAL desire is Megaphones right off the exchangers.... What are the chances you could come up with a R-type "sport" muffler with twin Megaphone-type exhaust tips nearer to the center than the corners ??

Might help to mention that I've got a '70 E as listed on my sig. block.

According to all the posts, I think the back pressure created by the muffler would help my MFI 2.2

What do you think??
Old 09-09-2005, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

the last one with megaphones was carzy loud. I am not real inclined to make another. I can make sports and you can bolt megaphones on to what I provide you with but your better off calling or emailing for more info I will do anything for a customer but I want the customer to be happy..

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Islandflyer,

Muffler looks great. I ordered mine un-polished. Now that I see it polished, I may do the same. How do I polish my muffler?
Old 09-11-2005, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
niner11 did it for me!! I think he put alot of elbow grease and several steps of wetsanding. You might want to send him a PM.
02 TT 225QT coupe (sold), 03 Audi A4 Avant (wife)GONE...
Old 09-11-2005, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

the guy that polishes for me does it in steps with "grease belts" then finally a buffing pad on a pedestal grinder.. He does a nice job but no way would I do that for a living

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
The polishing is not too tough. I did the tips on mine a week ago witht he muffler in situ. I used the wet-n-dry sandpaper I had on hand. started with a light sanding with 250 grit then spent a bit more time with 1000 grit. Finished off with a little metal polish. I will take the muffler off this week and give the whole thing a wet sand and hand polish. The only parts that will be difficult are the ends and round the welds - but I am not all that concerned. I would guess that an hour of elbow grease should produce a decent result.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Thanks , sounds easier than I thought.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

It's a M&K lovefest, I just put on a 1 in 1 out on my 86 along with cat bypass and drove it to GAF both days, sounded great and I got a lot of inquiries at the show. I thought 1 out might be too quiet but don't worry you'll hear it. I also have a 95 M3 with a Borla exhaust and this is a a little louder. The raspiness is great, exactly what I wanted - sounds like an early car. The best is off throttle after taking it up to higher RPM. ON Sunday at GAF I met up with Steve Wong and he put in a chip programmed for my exhaust mods and it sounds even better. It eliminated some of the slight popping off throttle by giving a richer mixture.

I polished the tip by hand using extra fine steel wool and a metal polish from Home Depot that can be used on aluminum or stainless steel, white bottle and it had an ammonia smell. Took about two hours in front of the TV with a drop cloth on the floor and about 8 walk though the rooms by my wife with an eyeball roll each time - sometimes two on one trip! :-)
87 924s (track)
Old 09-13-2005, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RayM
ON Sunday at GAF I met up with Steve Wong and he put in a chip programmed for my exhaust mods and it sounds even better. It eliminated some of the slight popping off throttle by giving a richer mixture.

I Took about two hours in front of the TV with a drop cloth on the floor and about 8 walk though the rooms by my wife with an eyeball roll each time - sometimes two on one trip! :-)
Interetsing stuff. So a richer mixture gave it a better off throttle response. My MFI car runs a little rougher at part throttle after adding a sport muffler. I have the luxury of being able to mechanically adjust mine so I don't need a Steve Wong. I'll try a tick richer and see what happens.

I like the part about the . Wives just don't get it......They will ogle stinking shoes and handbags for hours at the shops but we are weird if we polish our muffler. She should be thrilled that you are so easily amused.

Don
Old 09-13-2005, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Wives just don't get it......we are weird if we polish our muffler. She should be thrilled that you are so easily amused.
[/B]
Instead of a Porsche's, you could be out there polishing someone else's...uh....er...."muffler"
Old 09-13-2005, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Hey at least are getting to know your muffler first before you go out there and romp on it! Oh did I say that!!!!!!!!!!

Glad everybody likes

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Fuelie, did you do a single in dual out on the M&K?

I am ordering mine from Ben this week and am running a euro premuffler and am looking for an aggressive tone. My thought is to go single in, dual out. Any thoughts? Is anyone running one with the DME for 84 thru 89 and if so, did you need to chip it?
John
Red / Black
1980 Porsche 928 - 5 speed / Cashmere beige / 183k miles
Old 10-15-2005, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

John,

I did the SI/SO. It's plenty loud. In fact, when I first put it on I thought Holy ***** this thing is loud! It mellowed a little after getting a little soot in it.

It sounds awesome. I wouldn't want it any louder, or I would need ear plugs for long drives.

My car is an 87 DME. I haven't chipped the car yet, but I plan to in the future. You don't have to chip the car to install the muffler.

Go for it. You'll smile every time you start the car....
Old 10-15-2005, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
do you happen to have a sound clip of it? if so, can you email it to me?

thanks!
John
Red / Black
1980 Porsche 928 - 5 speed / Cashmere beige / 183k miles
Old 10-15-2005, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Sorry John,

I don't have a sound clip. Quite honestly, I haven't heard a clip yet that sounds like the real thing. It's just not possible to get the true sound with consumer recording devices.

The sound is very nice. Some people might like louder pipes, but to me this one is as loud as I would go. At cruise speed it is mellow enough to not really bother passengers. When you push the car, it gets nice and loud. I have noticed some ear fatigue after about 20 minutes of agressive driving with the windows down.

I let my brother drive a few days ago and noticed the sound level is slightly lower in the passenger seat. (single-in/single-out) Just enough of a difference to help with the wife factor....

Old 10-16-2005, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: