Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

energizing fog lights with out headlights being on

I am looking for help. I would like to use the fog light switch & wiring to run the pump for my coolshirt with out turning on the head lights. I have deleted the fogs from my car, & am using the openings for brake ducting. I have the pump running on the fog light now. I think if I can energize the blue & white wire that connects to the 86 terminal on the relay It might work. I am a wiring novice, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Craig
Old 07-18-2005, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driving member

Garage
I can't remember how it was done but I am sure if you do a search you should find it. I remember reading about it here before.

Unlike women, a race car is an inanimate object. Therefore it must, eventually, respond to reason.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There is some info referring to the grey/white wire from the fog light switch to the light switch being the trigger wire. There is also a reference to moving a grey wire from fuse # 7 to fuse #5 or #6. but I'm not sure if the fuse # changed from year to year. The reason for my post is, I'm not sure what is the correct answer for my 80 SC wiring. Thanks, Craig
Old 07-18-2005, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Cool Fog light relay wire.....

On my '80 SC there is a grey wire attached to fuse #5 (counting from the front of the car) that is the relay "trip" wire. When the headlights are on low beam, this fuse position is hot. The fog light switch will then turn on the foglights when pulled out. Fuse position #1 has an orange/white and a yellow/white power leads that go to the left and right fog lights. By moving the grey wire from fuse #5 to fuse #13 (windshield wiper) or fuse #14 (outside miror switch) you will be able to turn on the pump by pulling out the fog light switch. Both Fuses 13 and 14 are switched so turning off the ignition will kill the pump also. Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks Fred!!! Craig
Old 07-19-2005, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: the bluest city in the bluest county in the bluest state by the bluest ocean...did I mention the blue skies???
Craig.....
1st...my cridentials....removed 2 seperate complete (switch, relay, wires, fog light) factory fog light wireing harnesses form 2 different doner cars & installed same into 2 other "fogless" 911's....within the past 18 mos.
Fred is right on with his advise...depending on where(which 'relay' hole) your fog relay receiver is plugged into...you may or may not have issues with how far you can streach the grey wire to reach any given fuse post set screw...you can always splice on if needed...
You can refer to the "fuse menu" that is glued into your fuse cover OR check your owners manuel to help you decide on which fuse you want to tap the grey wire into....do you want it to be "switched", ie only on when the key is "on", or do you want to be able to turn them on anytime, key or no key??? All the relay wants is 12 volts DC...it don't give a hoot where it comes from!

good luck with your project

GREG
MID9 Member
1975 911S Targa
1969 912 coupe
1968 912 coupe
2004 GT5000 (6 spd, 42" deck)
1989 Volvo 240 wagon (wife's car...eats 318i's on downhill Mt. roads...)
1990 Chevy 4x4 2500 pickup (with 235K & still rockin')

It's not how fast you go....It's how you go fast !!!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Thanks Greg! Craig
Old 07-19-2005, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

For future searchers I ran the grey wire that was attached to the #5 fuse to the#14 fuse(sunroof/Mirror fuse) and the foglight switch operates with the headlights off & the key on. A big thanks again to Fred & Greg!!! Craig
Old 07-19-2005, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: