Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 86 Carrera - Rear Seat Belt Upgrade - Again

I am now preparing to upgrade my rear lap belts into 3-pointers.

From previous threads I know that the mounting points are already installed in the deck.

My question is this: does anyone know the thread size for these mounting points?
I'm asking because instead of buying a used set I'd like to go new. PEP sells a similar setup for 69'-79' 911s which mount with one bolt, 7/16" X 20 thread. Is this the same? Would it work? Trampas at PEP thinks that it might. He told me he was not familiar with the 'newer' cars.

http://www.peparts.com/Detail.bok?no=70

And, as asked previously, does Wayne carry anything like this? I've checked but cannot find.

Cheers,
Kato
Old 07-26-2005, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

the bolt used for the 3pt mount is universal, i pulled mine from a suzuki sidekick
short shifter
ss brake lines
Old 07-26-2005, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the bolt you see in this picture was taken from a suzuki sidekick. i'm told all seat belt bolts are the same size
short shifter
ss brake lines
Old 07-26-2005, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Kato--
The mounting holes are threaded and I believe the thread is the same as the ones for the lap belt mounting points (near the seat cushions).

You'll need to remove the male side belt to do the install anyway (the female side stays in place if you use stock belts). You should be able to bring the bolt into your local hardware store and have them match it up and/or go into the dealer for a replacement.

The bolts themselves have a relatively small head and can be a b**ch to remove, since a socket doesn't have a lot to bite on. I had to hit one of mine with an impact chisel to loosen it. Ended up replacing the bolt with one from my local dismantler (PartsHeaven here in CA).

My '85 911 Targa ** Hand painted center caps for sale here
RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 07-26-2005, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Steve,

Purchased the hardware yesterday from Whaletail here in Kitchener. I have two 964 seat belt reels, 2 mounting bolts, and 2 "extra" bolts for the male side of the belt. The belts themselves are abit dirty (sitting in a barn for a long time) but when I pull out any belt that's wound up they look brand new! (Probably almost never used)

Anyway there's one part I need to identify. Those plastic trims that sit above the reel.

The guys at whaletail haven't seen too many of these and they think they're from the transition 89' Carrerea / 89' C4 series of cars. Any ideas on where I could search out these trim pieces or perhaps get part numbers to order them new?

The only plastic trims they could identify were the vertical ones for the C2 - which look like a b!tch to install in a decent manner. (Like the ones in the pic below)

These vertical pieces had part numbers 964 555 511 01 (Left), & 964 555 512 01 (Right).

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Kato
Old 08-24-2005, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Kato--
I'm traveling, so don't have access to my PET CD. My recollection is that the "hoods" are from any 86+ (maybe 87) 911. If you have a dealer nearby, you might ask them to look up the part number. They might also be able to order them for you.
I don't think they are all that expensive; its a question of finding them. You might also try a dismantler like PartsHeaven and see if they have any old parcel shelves that have them. They mount UP from the bottom and are stapled/tacked to the shelf from the underside so there is nothing visible but the hood.
When I get home in a few days I'll try and find them on PET.

I'm not sure about the 2nd picture--that looks like an older car since the speaker grills appear to be integral to the deck. My car has plastic speaker grills that sit on top of the rear deck (the speaker is mounted from below).

My '85 911 Targa ** Hand painted center caps for sale here
RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 08-24-2005, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by steve911
If you have a dealer nearby, you might ask them to look up the part number.
Steve,

Apparently these pieces do no have a part number - they are part of this type of deck.

Whaletail wouldn't remove these from a deck they would sell for $200 - I totally understand this.

Contacted Partsheaven and they will sell them for $25USD each. I still have to try Porschapart in Toronto yet. Heck if I can't get them cheap I'll fabricate them out of aluminum or something like that.

Cheers,
Kato

PS ---- that second picture is just an example of what the
964 pieces are like. The vertical plastic pieces are
at the "top" edge of the deck but open up on the
vertical.

Last edited by KatoKato; 08-26-2005 at 05:35 AM..
Old 08-26-2005, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hi Kato,
I replied to your PM, however I could not attach a picture. See how some guy in France did it without the "periscope" trims.
By the way I believe Frank in Toronto sold them to me for $10 CDN each.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by CBR900RR
Hi Kato,
I replied to your PM, however I could not attach a picture. See how some guy in France did it without the "periscope" trims.
By the way I believe Frank in Toronto sold them to me for $10 CDN each.
I'll get a hold of Frank today and see what he can do.

That install doesn't look that bad. Doing a nice job w/ the vinyl would be key.

While I have you here I have a couple more prep questions.

1) When bolting in the reels should I use washers --- or just bolt the thing in?
2) Do you know the torque spec. for the (i) reel bolts &
(ii) lap belt bolts?

Thanks,
Kato
Old 08-26-2005, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I did not need washers as the un-threaded portion of the bolt (shank) is not too long. As this is not a pivoting point, a washer is only req'd to prevent the shank of the bolt from threading it's self into the anchor nut.
I could not fint any torque values, so I secured them firmly.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: